Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think the appearance of Maul in this movie is pretty cool after having a few days to think about. I mean how often does someone’s appearance in a movie truly surprise you these days.

And when you think about it, it makes a lot of sense given what happened to him and taking control of the crime syndicate, etc - and yet was still truly surprising

I loved the Maul cameo but why did he have to ignite his light saber? That felt so forced to me, I know they needed to say "THIS IS DARTH MAUL" for those who didn't really understand but come on. If you're gonna have him light it up have him use it. Kill some random dude who betrayed his syndicate or something.

I think it was to affirm to people that it was Maul, but I agree it looked very forced. She could have just called him by his name

Saw it today, really liked it! I am not a huge fan of the Star Wars story, blasphemy... I watch as the family enjoys it. I had low expectations for this movie, though, due to the lack of hype and “who could fill Harrison Ford’s shoes.” I was quite surprised.

I stayed away from all reviews, and was completely surprised about the casting for Beckett- that was awesome. I thought the actor for Solo was good, Lando was fun and gave good character back story, and I do love Chewbacca so that was special.

I felt it was fast paced throughout and could have benefited from some slower moments. I also thought they missed out on opportunities for good dialogue by glossing over what could have been these slower activities. Probably all thoughts already in this thread.

A fun watch. The theater also gave applause at the end, so it seemed well received.

I enjoyed Solo. I saw it as part of a double feature at a Drive-In with Infinity War, so I didn't get home until 3 am. Still fun though.

I think the troubled production hurt it at the box office and I think they should probably rethink the prequel anthology stuff. I wonder how people would have felt about the film if it had original characters and took place in between 8 and 9 instead of somewhere between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. Regardless, I got a bit of a Shadows of the Empire vibe from this so I would still check it out if they end up doing a Solo 2. I guess we’ll see how it does in the coming weeks.

Like I know that the rumors are that they want to do a prequel Boba Fett movie, but I'd personally prefer a Sabine Wren / Ahsoka movie taking place in the now. I think the reason why they're able to do 3 Marvel movies a year is because people want to see what happens next.

Saw it earlier today...thought it was kind of meh. My son asked what my favorite part was and honestly couldn't come up with one.

Thought L3 was really annoying. Glad about what happened to that droid.

Not a horrible movie, but way below Rogue One's quality and one I don't really need to see again Hopefully, whatever the next one is will be better.

I was 7 when Star Wars came out I am so ready to move on from the old characters. Which was why I wasn’t super excited about solo but i went cause it’s Star Wars not gonna not see a Star Wars movie in the theater. And it was pretty good not he story I was dying to see but I enjoyed it anyway.
Me too. I actually didn't even know this was in the works until tickets were released. I had to see it in the theater.

Verdict- we enjoyed it. Theater was full, people were responsive to events. This movie gave back story to Han, so that was kind of neat. Each character had layers. Loved that Woody Harrelson joined the cast for this one.

Funny moment. At the very end when there was a romantic kiss, a young child in the theater blurted out "bleh" with perfect timing. The whole theater laughed.

I liked the movie - but Darth Maul is freakin' DEAD. Obi Wan cut him in half! Why in the world are they trying to (impossibly) resurrect him??

I liked the movie - but Darth Maul is freakin' DEAD. Obi Wan cut him in half! Why in the world are they trying to (impossibly) resurrect him??

If you only follow the movies you are missing quite a lot of canon. Maul was resurrected originally in The Clone Wars cartoons where he played a large role in several seasons. He persisted into Rebels where I think he had roles in 2 of the seasons. His character was given much more depth and background through those shows and provided an path to explore other darkside Force users besides just the Sith.

Yeah yeah. I should have explained: I used to watch Clone Wars with my son - UNTIL UNDEAD DARTH MAUL SHOWED UP! That freakin' episode is when I said "no can do." Darth Maul is dead - no matter what The Mouse says. o_O

I liked the movie -
but Darth Maul is freakin' DEAD. Obi Wan cut him in half! Why in the world are they trying to (impossibly) resurrect him??

He got better.

He was pretty cool in Clone Wars and Rebels, but Obi-Wan still killed him in the end. He died on Tatooine.

We saw Solo Saturday. I liked it. None of my childhood heroes died, no one retreated to an island in the middle of nowhere like a pouting hermit, no lame shots of my favorite princess flying through space. I repeat, no one I love died!

Ha. I thought it was fun and fast paced and upbeat. Enjoyed the cast.

Loving the spin machine.

It underperformed because of Star Wars fatigue. It was too sunny outside. Bad marketing campaign. They never intended on making money with this movie. Blah, blah, blah

Check out the financial sites for the real story. Money talks and BS walks so places like Seeking Alpha are cutting through the spin.

Disney stock is down 1% today. But I’m sure that has nothing to do with Solo, right?

Last edited:
We saw Solo yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it! I loved the first three and didn't care for the prequels (terrible acting + Jar Jar Binks = bad movies). I liked The Force Awakens, thought Rogue One was well done but super depressing, and was neutral-to-positive on The Last Jedi. Solo was entertaining and fun - I liked seeing the backstories of some favorites and thought most of the cast did a great job. Also, the theater was nearly full at 4:00 yesterday afternoon.

Loving the spin machine.

It underperformed because of Star Wars fatigue. It was too sunny outside. Bad marketing campaign. They never intended on making money with this movie. Blah, blah, blah

Check out the financial sites for the real story. Money talks and BS walks so places like Seeking Alpha are cutting through the spin.

Disney stock is down 1% today. But I’m sure that has nothing to do with Solo, right?
You keep trying to push this point. Despite the fact that 1. All the points you mocked are valid and 2. Political discussion isn’t allowed on the boards. You also forgot the fact that the production was a mess and not many people wanted this movie to begin with.

And Disney stocks down? You realize ESPN is dying right?

Last edited:
Loving the spin machine.

I honestly don't understand your point ... everyone is agreeing it is under performing - just discussing what could be driving it as with most thinks in life it is likely more than one thing

And I did just check Seeking Alpha and they are pretty positive overall and saying not to over-react to Solo:

- Han Solo’s origin story may not be a record-setter, but Disney investors would be wise to look past all the overreaction they are going to see following the holiday weekend.

- Disney’s 2018 looks more solid, which should offset some of “Solo’s” losses, but the studio’s 2019 lineup is scary and could be record-breaking.

so what point are your trying to make?

I don’t see either of those, the last two days have one Solo article each day; what investors need to know about Solo’s low debut and Solo struggles at the box office

My point is simple:

I told you there’d be a boycott

Solo has underperformed just like I said it would

It’s hilarious watching Disney, the media, and others act like there are other reasons Solo failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter