Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree hashtag campaigns never work. Remember #bringbackourgirls?

But it’s out there. People are mad. How many? I don’t know. I’m just saying that I was born in 1976. I saw all three prequels at least 10 times in the theatre. I saw Force Awakens 21 times in the theatre.

I saw Last Jedi once.

I will not watch Solo.

Maybe I’m not the target audience anymore and there are new fans who are willing to watch Solo 10 times in the theater.

That’s why I’m so curious to see if Solo breaks $1 billion. If it does then there weren’t that many people offended by TLJ and I’m in the vast minority. But if Solo comes in at $700 million maybe we’ll get some changes at Lucas Film.

As Snoke said “We shall see...”

I am not taking part in the boycott. Here's why:

A). Call it the Ritchie Cunningham effect. I like Ron Howard. He made Splash and Apollo 13. Two movies I have a great deal of fondness for. Plus he is always doing something interesting and seems like a generally nice guy.

B). Lawrence Kasden wrote the script. He also wrote The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. Movies that I always find enjoyable. Empire being my absolute favorite.

Was I thrilled with everything on The Last Jedi? NO. But I don't think it was as bad as The Phantom Menace or any of the prequels.

Would have preferred they kept Poe and Finn together. Given more of Finn and Rose a job to do?

I agree hashtag campaigns never work. Remember #bringbackourgirls?

But it’s out there. People are mad. How many? I don’t know. I’m just saying that I was born in 1976. I saw all three prequels at least 10 times in the theatre. I saw Force Awakens 21 times in the theatre.

I saw Last Jedi once.

I will not watch Solo.

Maybe I’m not the target audience anymore and there are new fans who are willing to watch Solo 10 times in the theater.

That’s why I’m so curious to see if Solo breaks $1 billion. If it does then there weren’t that many people offended by TLJ and I’m in the vast minority. But if Solo comes in at $700 million maybe we’ll get some changes at Lucas Film.

As Snoke said “We shall see...”
I am not convinced there is enough anger to curve the money line here.

I am one of the people who did like Last Jedi. I saw it once in theaters and now a few times at home on blu-ray. I have never seen a movie more than twice in the theaters.

I think Solo will do well but not trilogy type numbers. Maybe somewhere close to Rogue One but probably a little less?

I could agree that there is some Star Wars fatigue happening now with so much coming out.

I don't think this movie will create changes at Lucasfilm other than maybe less Star Wars Story type films.

I am not convinced there is enough anger to curve the money line here.

I am one of the people who did like Last Jedi. I saw it once in theaters and now a few times at home on blu-ray. I have never seen a movie more than twice in the theaters.

I think Solo will do well but not trilogy type numbers. Maybe somewhere close to Rogue One but probably a little less?

I could agree that there is some Star Wars fatigue happening now with so much coming out.

I don't think this movie will create changes at Lucasfilm other than maybe less Star Wars Story type films.

Just to check the numbers (from Box Office Mojo) ...

The Force Awakens: $936.6m domestic + $1.1316bn foreign = $2.0682bn Total

The Last Jedi: $620.2m domestic + 712.2m foreign = $1.3324bn Total

Rogue One: $532.2m domestic + $523.9m foreign = $1.0561bn Total

Obviously reviews and word of mouth will play a big role but I could see this doing $1.1bn total as I think it could be popular in international markets ... but guess we shall see

I am not taking part in the boycott. Here's why:

A). Call it the Ritchie Cunningham effect. I like Ron Howard. He made Splash and Apollo 13. Two movies I have a great deal of fondness for. Plus he is always doing something interesting and seems like a generally nice guy.

B). Lawrence Kasden wrote the script. He also wrote The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. Movies that I always find enjoyable. Empire being my absolute favorite.

Was I thrilled with everything on The Last Jedi? NO. But I don't think it was as bad as The Phantom Menace or any of the prequels.

Would have preferred they kept Poe and Finn together. Given more of Finn and Rose a job to do?

Meh, Revenge of the Sith was better than Jedi.

Meh, Revenge of the Sith was better than Jedi.
The first half of Return of the Jedi is one of the best Star Wars movies in my opinion. It's a shame they ruined it with Ewok merchandising opportunities. It went from the best, to the worst of the original trilogy. Revenge of the Sith is the best of the prequels, but that's a pretty low bar, again in my opinion...

The first half of Return of the Jedi is one of the best Star Wars movies in my opinion. It's a shame they ruined it with Ewok merchandising opportunities. It went from the best, to the worst of the original trilogy. Revenge of the Sith is the best of the prequels, but that's a pretty low bar, again in my opinion...

agree with all of this. In fact, in some ways Last of the Jedi reminds me of Return of the Jedi in that the high points were very high but there were also low points making for very uneven movies

The numbers will be fine. People hated Phantom Menace and it made +$1B. After that Revenge of the Sith still made $650M. That was 15 years ago. Behind Disney marketing, Solo will sleepwalk its way to $800M and may cross $1B.

Solo premiere reactions

Mike Ryan - "The first act of Solo can be hit and miss clunky. But once Donald Glover's Lando shows up (who is legit fantastic) and the Kessel Run heist plot kicks in, its a whole lot of fun. (And those who've always wanted a Han and Chewbacca shower scene are in luck.) It does take a bit to get used to Alden as Han, but after 30 minutes or so your brain adjusts."

Kate Erbland - "It takes a bit for it to find its feet and AE (Alden) to turn on enough charm to make you forget he isn't HF (Harrison). But once it kicks into its hey lets make a crew and yes also do a heist stuff it totally flies."

So it seems a bit of a slow start but pretty good once Lando arrives. Also sounds like there is a sex scene which is different.

I watched the red carpet last night when I should have been asleep.

It seems like they're pushing Donald Glover a lot over Aldenreich. Just a little odd, I wonder how much screentime lando will even get.

I'm one of the naysayers of this movie, bit I'll still be there opening day and give it a fair shot.

Seriously though...I hope the movie doesn't just consist of checking points off a list.

- here's how han got his blaster!
- here's how han met chewie!
- here's how han met lando
- here how han won the falcon!
- here's where Han's pants come from,!

I just hope the movie doesn't think we need every little thing about him in the originals answered.

I watched the red carpet last night when I should have been asleep.

It seems like they're pushing Donald Glover a lot over Aldenreich. Just a little odd, I wonder how much screentime lando will even get.

I'm one of the naysayers of this movie, bit I'll still be there opening day and give it a fair shot.
A lot of the early reactions said Glover is really good. It seems it takes a bit to get used to Alden because we are used to Harrison Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter