Solo 1 Night Offsite hotel to Trader Sam's

SteveH

Where's my Mai Tai?
On Monday of Labor Day weekend I'm driving back to WA State after dropping my son off in San Diego for grad school.

I am planning on staying one night in Anaheim and taking in Downtown Disney and Trader Sam's - no parks for that day (at least as of now). I am looking at booking a cheap nearby offsite hotel, Red Lion or something off of Katella. Looks like I should be able to find a room for $100 or less.

My questions are, can I walk from Katella down Disneyland Drive to Trader Sam's or could I Uber to Disneyland hotel even if I am not staying there?

And open to any other thoughts...

Thanks, I'd rather walk it just wasn't sure if that was even an option.
I once walked from Katella east of Harbor. It was FAR. It was totally walkable even at 2-230 AM. Uber is probably easier and worth your trouble (especially if you'll be leaving with mugs).

I don't recommend trying to walk, it really is pretty far. Combine that with the fact that it will be dark, and you will be by yourself, it just isn't a good idea.

Wow, DLR to "home" (I'm also in Wa.) is quite a drive. We did it several years ago - 17 hours of driving!
Have a great trip!

Thanks for all the input. I scored a pretty good deal to stay at the Sheraton, the Hilton was a close second but I have more points and use the Sheraton hotels more often. I read up reviews on a bunch of the $90ish dollar hotels, and wow some seriously mixed reviews. From most amazing place down to loud/out date/bed bugs. I figured I'd spend the few extra bucks.

My wife and I had a blast at Trader Sam's Grog Grotto in WDW in January so I'm very curious to see how TS ETB compares. Plus hopefully add a couple more mugs to my collection.

Are you on the Trader Sam's FB pages?
You betcha! I think I'm on at least 3, plus I've lost count of how many Tiki groups I'm on. Sadly Tiki Ti is closed on Monday or I might have tried to make it there on this trip. I'm going to Grass Skirt and hopefully False Idol while in San Diego!

I don't recommend trying to walk, it really is pretty far. Combine that with the fact that it will be dark, and you will be by yourself, it just isn't a good idea.
My plan now is to walk to Downtown Disney and check things out, then to Trader Sam's, then Uber back to the hotel.

Wow, DLR to "home" (I'm also in Wa.) is quite a drive. We did it several years ago - 17 hours of driving!
Have a great trip!
Yeah it's a long haul, still not sure my mid point but thinking of staying in Sacramento, that way I can hit up Jungle Bird, if not I'll head north a few hours, then head back through K Falls and Bend.

You betcha! I think I'm on at least 3, plus I've lost count of how many Tiki groups I'm on. Sadly Tiki Ti is closed on Monday or I might have tried to make it there on this trip. I'm going to Grass Skirt and hopefully False Idol while in San Diego!
Me too. My FB feed is a nice layer of Tiki. Awesome bar crawl you have lined up there!! Jealous.

Me too. My FB feed is a nice layer of Tiki. Awesome bar crawl you have lined up there!! Jealous.
Yeah figure as long as I can Uber or Walk I'm good to go. I've been to Three Dots and a Dash (Chicago) and Adrift (Denver) and having a blast checking new ones out.

My plan now is to walk to Downtown Disney and check things out, then to Trader Sam's, then Uber back to the hotel.

Yeah it's a long haul, still not sure my mid point but thinking of staying in Sacramento, that way I can hit up Jungle Bird, if not I'll head north a few hours, then head back through K Falls and Bend.

OMG, we LOVE Jungle Bird! Sounds like you’ve got some plans!

46978575-5E1C-4BA5-BFBB-796FB5C912CE.jpeg

OMG, we LOVE Jungle Bird! Sounds like you’ve got some plans!
I figure if I've got to do all that driving I better have some fun. As of tonight Bali Hai is in the mix for a dinner night in SD as Grass Skirt was booked up on Sunday night.

Follow up. Stayed at the Sheraton and walked to/from Downtown Disney and Trader Sam's with no issues. I found it to be a very nice, safe walk. Bit warm but not really bad at all. I was very disappointed by Downtown Disney and the size reduction of World of Disney. The whole issue with the new hotel and being cancelled is a total cluster. I would think a few 'somebody's" lost their job over it. Downtown Disney is an embarrassing ghost town.

Had a great time at Trader Sam's - After being at Grog Grotto I was excited to check out Enchanted Tiki Bar and compare. The only thing I didn't see were the moving bar stools.

Threw back a Krakatoa, Uh-Oh (but since I was alone had to serve me in a few glasses not the bowl) plus I asked the Skipper serving me what his favorite off the menu drink was, he made a great Navy Grog! I was able to get the Uh-Oh bowl, sadly no other mugs were in stock.
coast2coast.png

Follow up. Stayed at the Sheraton and walked to/from Downtown Disney and Trader Sam's with no issues. I found it to be a very nice, safe walk. Bit warm but not really bad at all. I was very disappointed by Downtown Disney and the size reduction of World of Disney. The whole issue with the new hotel and being cancelled is a total cluster. I would think a few 'somebody's" lost their job over it. Downtown Disney is an embarrassing ghost town.

Had a great time at Trader Sam's - After being at Grog Grotto I was excited to check out Enchanted Tiki Bar and compare. The only thing I didn't see were the moving bar stools.

Threw back a Krakatoa, Uh-Oh (but since I was alone had to serve me in a few glasses not the bowl) plus I asked the Skipper serving me what his favorite off the menu drink was, he made a great Navy Grog! I was able to get the Uh-Oh bowl, sadly no other mugs were in stock.
coast2coast.png
Nice! (Gotta admit consuming all those on my own would have put me under the table so kudos!)

Nice! (Gotta admit consuming all those on my own would have put me under the table so kudos!)

I made a pair of murky mojitos on Monday (quadrupled the recipe as the Piranha pool mugs are huge) which contained nearly a cup of 151 between them. My wife said she couldn't feel her face after drinking hers. I made TWO Uh Oas complete with fire show after... she helped drink part of one of them. I closed with two krakatoas complete with glow cube. Washed it down with a DosXX and maitai. It was a good Labor day. I don't know why Sam's won't serve a paltry UhOa to a single person in the bowl. It's dumb.

Ha! Yeah I was feeling it walking back, but not really bad and didn't feel a thing the next morning.

I made a pair of murky mojitos on Monday (quadrupled the recipe as the Piranha pool mugs are huge) which contained nearly a cup of 151 between them. My wife said she couldn't feel her face after drinking hers. I made TWO Uh Oas complete with fire show after... she helped drink part of one of them. I closed with two krakatoas complete with glow cube. Washed it down with a DosXX and maitai. It was a good Labor day. I don't know why Sam's won't serve a paltry UhOa to a single person in the bowl. It's dumb.
I was bummed too, I get it they are strong and a lot of alcohol, but I did miss the "show" aspect. I'm sure its done for liability reasons. But I was a smart drinking, had tons of water and some food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter