Solid Ground Rocking After End of Cruise

lbus42

Yay, I now have ears
Just got off the Fantasy two days ago. I did not get seasick nor did the ship rocking bother me. But since I have gotten off the ship, I have felt like the ground rocks back and forth like a ship. It was really bad the first day off the ship. I spent the night after the cruise at the Orlando Airport Hyatt. I felt uneasy whenever I got near an upper floor railing or the room balcony, like I was getting Vertigo. Even now two days later, I still feel like this. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Yes. My husband, my 13 year old son, and myself felt the "rocking" sensation for about 72 hours after stepping off the Dream. It was pretty crazy, I got sicker off the boat than I did on the boat. I researched and it's called land sickness/vertigo.

Just got off the Fantasy two days ago. I did not get seasick nor did the ship rocking bother me. But since I have gotten off the ship, I have felt like the ground rocks back and forth like a ship. It was really bad the first day off the ship. I spent the night after the cruise at the Orlando Airport Hyatt. I felt uneasy whenever I got near an upper floor railing or the room balcony, like I was getting Vertigo. Even now two days later, I still feel like this. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
It's called Mal de debarquement syndrome (MdDS). Happens to many people. Most people "get over" it in a couple of days. Others may take longer.

It's really a form of reverse sea sickness. Your inner ear is re-adjusting to solid ground.

I typically get it for a week or so after most cruises. The worst one I had lasted about a month. I find it's more evident when I'm in the shower than when I'm in a large room.

I had it BAD in March after our Caribbean cruise. What's weird is that the easier time I have ON the ship, the worse it seems I have off teh ship. I also caught a head cold shortly after the cruise, which didn't make things any better. Mine lasted a good 3 weeks at least. Made yoga really hard...

I got it after my 1st cruise and it lasted 3 days. I had really bad allergies affecting my sinuses that time. It didn't get it on the subsequent cruises.

A friend's wife had it so bad she was very sick and incapacitated for 3-4 days after their cruise. She's sworn off cruising forever. I recommend taking your sea sick meds for a couple days post cruise to help.

Y'all are scaring me. I had a bout of vertigo a couple of years ago and it was hellish. I don't ever want that back again.

I have gotten the feeling for a few hours after a full day of deep sea fishing.

I too get it first few days after cruise....strangely it is mostly when I am in the shower.

My worst case was our Alaska cruise on the Wonder in 2014. I felt pretty bad at times and noticed it especially while walking down a hallway.

It's called Mal de debarquement syndrome (MdDS). Happens to many people. Most people "get over" it in a couple of days. Others may take longer.

It's really a form of reverse sea sickness. Your inner ear is re-adjusting to solid ground.

I typically get it for a week or so after most cruises. The worst one I had lasted about a month. I find it's more evident when I'm in the shower than when I'm in a large room.

My husband had this after our last cruise a few years ago. It lasted over 6 months. He had MRI's and CAT scans to rule out any other issues. We had been on a few cruises before that and he had no issues. He still gets it now after plane rides or long car rides. Thankfully it only lasts a week or two. It's a very strange syndrome. We'd love to go on another cruise but the Dr.'s did say that he'd probably have it again and he's scared it will last 6 months again.

Just an FYI.... I had MdDS and per my neurologist, it was made worse or occurred because I took preventative medication. This prevented me from feeling the ship motions and causing my sense of balance and what I was visually seeing to differ. This caused a delay in the reaction to my brain's perceived sense of motion. This is not always the case, but I did want to warn you about my personal experience. Also, this disorder is more prone in women and migraine sufferers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter