Solar Eclipse April 8

Neighbors' dogs are barking and birds are definitely on it! These are what the Merlin app is picking up right now:
IMG_1001.jpeg

We were at 99.3% totality here in the Bangor, Maine area. DH went north to do some sciency-stuff with a spectrophotometer for the eclipse and the 2 hour drive took him over 3 hours, there was so much traffic! It's going to take him even longer to get home, he said. Here in Bangor it got pretty dusky, like right before complete sunset in the summer, and the temperature dropped by about 10 degrees. If you look at Shrfleen's pictures, above, we had much less sunlight than in the 4th picture but never reached the total ring of light in the 5th picture. I wish I could have gone with DH but it didn't work out- and now I have strep so I'm glad I wasn't away from home/on the road for 8.5 hours and counting! Even at "only" 99.3% totality, it was pretty awesome!

We weren't in the path of totality this time, so weren't that focused on the eclipse. It dimmed for a bit but certainly didn't get dark. My daughter was in high school during the 2017 eclipse so I really enjoyed having her here to enjoy this one with. I showed her the trick of enjoying what the eclipse did with shadows. We used a colander for some shadows. Also enjoyed watching the sun peeking through leaves of a bush turn to crescent shapes.

1712615195974.jpeg
1712615215630.jpeg
1712615246045.jpeg

Hopefully everyone hoping to see this was able to dodge the clouds. I ended up deciding on one location, spent the night, and woke up to skies that worried me. I went into chaser mode and drove to a more favorable spot. The pictures don’t do it justice, but it was utterly spectacular! I also added a video where you can see some of the planets that were visible.

IMG_1961.jpegIMG_1959.jpegIMG_1954.jpegIMG_1953.jpegIMG_1958.jpegIMG_1957.jpegIMG_1955.jpegIMG_1962.jpegIMG_1965.jpegIMG_1968.jpeg

If any fellow eclipse fans are wondering what to do with their glasses, I saw this:

1712760447176.png

on Instagram earlier this morning. Here is a link to their website:

https://eclipse23.com/pages/donate-eclipse-glasses

We were at 99.3% totality here in the Bangor, Maine area. DH went north to do some sciency-stuff with a spectrophotometer for the eclipse and the 2 hour drive took him over 3 hours, there was so much traffic! It's going to take him even longer to get home, he said. Here in Bangor it got pretty dusky, like right before complete sunset in the summer, and the temperature dropped by about 10 degrees. If you look at Shrfleen's pictures, above, we had much less sunlight than in the 4th picture but never reached the total ring of light in the 5th picture. I wish I could have gone with DH but it didn't work out- and now I have strep so I'm glad I wasn't away from home/on the road for 8.5 hours and counting! Even at "only" 99.3% totality, it was pretty awesome!
I'm late to replying, but I was also in Maine and drove to totality. I actually spent the weekend in northern Aroostook with family, so didn't have to deal with eclipse traffic going up (just the extra round of snow Friday night that made travel challenging.) We watched from a very random spot away from the star park towns and it usually takes me about 3.5-4 hours to get home from there. It took a solid 8 on Monday. I've only been in that kind of traffic on Route 11 once before, when my trip home coincided with a Phish concert at Limestone. A cousin reported seeing 200 cars at the Katahdin overlook on 95 on his way up to the area on Monday. This is going to make my next trip there and back seem like a breeze!

I will say it was completely worth it. We had absolutely perfect weather- mid 50s (not common for that area in April) and zero cloud cover. Absolutely incredible. We ended up with over 3.5 minutes of totality.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter