• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SoG ? regarding dependent ID

Alice28

DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue>I'm Doombah Fricki
I think the answer is yes by looking at the SoG website, but can someone (like the goddess aka FirstNo) tell me if I can stay at the SoG as the wife of a current reservist. My husband hasn't been called up (yet, thank God), but my Mom would like to go back to the Contemporary, just her and I, this Oct. If I get a military ID on my husband's next drill, can I get the same rate?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Robin

As a wife of a reservist, I can tell you a resounding YES!!! Just did it. Took my daughter for an impromptu visit at CR. We were in Florida for a family emergency. The emergency had a happy ending and we needed time to unwind, so I called SOG to see if I could get in for one nite, and the pixie dust fairy smiled, and off we went! Have a great time!

YAY!!!Thanks for the response Suevee----I am waiting to hear about some job news...if the answer is "you've got a job with us," I am reserving a trip, pronto!!!

:-)

Originally posted by Alice28
I think the answer is yes by looking at the SoG website, but can someone (like the goddess aka FirstNo) tell me if I can stay at the SoG as the wife of a current reservist. My husband hasn't been called up (yet, thank God), but my Mom would like to go back to the Contemporary, just her and I, this Oct. If I get a military ID on my husband's next drill, can I get the same rate?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Robin

OOohhhhhhhh.....I've been upgraded to goddess status <BG>!!!!!!!! Cool!!!! And I see Suevee has answered you correctly so, I'll leave the question alone, but thank you for starting my morning off on a nice wave length! :)

My Dad is retired Navy, and when I was in college (hence still had a dependent ID), I was able to make reservations and stay there.

I also stayed there with my parents, Xmas before last. It's a great hotel: pretty, quiet, and convenient. The bus transportation is good, too, even though it's separate from the Disney buses.

How about the parents of an active Marine?

We had booked CR/SoG back in January for a trip in May with expecations of my older son (Marine recruiter) going with us. We just found out a couple weeks ago that there's a good chance he won't be able to go due to his boss going to a training school the entire month of May. We won't know for sure until next week so in the mean time we've made alternate reservations at POFQ through DU.

My understanding was that in order to get the SoG rates you had to have a military ID. Would we still be able to do this without my son being present if we brought his ID or something of that nature?

mattman2k,
Unless your son claims you as his dependents (and you have the appropriate dependent i.d. card), I believe he has to be with you at check-in.
jw016.gif

Thanks JOC. Thank makes sense to me. I didn't think it would work but thought I'd ask anyway.

Now, how do I get my son to support me....

Quick question about the ID cards---(I'm getting mine on Tuesday but I can't wait)---does the dependent ID cards have the enlisted person's rank and pay grade on them? I mean, how will they know when I check in that my husband's grade is E-5? I already made the reservation with SoG putting in my name but his E-5 info.....Thanks!

Alice, all the military IDs I have ever had (and I currently have one right now too, lol) have the sponser's name, SS#, rank, and PCS date on them. They'll definitely know that your DH is an E5!

HTH :D

ACK!! I can't believe you've waited for something like this to get your military ID! :earseek: It makes me nervous for you if your husband were to be deployed. Are you in the DEERS system? I hate to sound preachy, but as the wife of a National Guardsman whose unit was activated in February and whose deployment was cancelled right before leaving for Ft. Stewart, I know how the soldiers can be called up at the drop of a hat, and you need to have all of your stuff in order (power of attorney, wills drawn up, etc.)...I could not imagine having to worry about getting your military dependent ID in the first place if anything like that were to happen.

Again- I don't mean to sound preachy- just take it from someone whose world was almost turned upside down in the matter of a few days...and who's waiting for the rug to be pulled out from under her again. Of course, I will support my husband 100% if he has to leave, but I'd rather have him here with me & the kids! ;)

Enjoy your trip to Disney!!!! :jester:

CLover9990, I totally agree with you!! Both of my DDs were registered in DEERS within 10 days of their birth! Of course, I am also in the military, so I understand the importance of this. I have found that many reservists and guardsmen are not well informed on the importance of taking care of things like this when they get married. Also, many part-timers live pretty far away and don't necessarily want to bring their dependents to drill for something like an ID card. :(

Anyway, for Alice28, everything SOG will need will be on your ID card. Also, as an FYI, you do not need to go to your husband's unit, nor do you need him to go with you to get your ID card. DEERS is a DoD-wide system, so as long as DH has registered you in DEERS, you can go to any military installation (any service) for ID card renewals.

Have fun on your trip! We heading that way in May.

I know, I know, I should have gotten my ID card long, long ago..to be honest, my husband's unit is in turmoil right now- there are a lot of problems and I HIGHLY doubt they will be called up for anything. They were even passed on to do some basic security detail here in Oregon. My husband isn't too thrilled- he is a former Marine and has some opinions about his Nat'l Guard unit, but that's for a whole separate topic. I just have to go with him tomorrow to the Nat'l Guard place right here in Portland...I don't have to travel far. Anyway, thanks for the info!

No problem! Alice, I'm glad that you didn't take it the wrong way- again, I was just nervous for you reading your post! :) Your DH's Guard unit does sound like it leaves much to be desired for...my DH's unit is OK, but they don't have their act together as far as paperwork, etc. For instance, my DH has to requalify for a range when he just qualified a couple of months ago and shot 39 out of 40. This is the 2nd time they've lost his paperwork for something like this, and it just gets aggravating after awhile. Also, they JUST decided a little over a month ago as to when they will have AT this year. Otherwise, though, we really don't have any complaints about the military...matter of fact, my DH is trying to find a full time Guard slot.

Jwsqrd, thanks for the support! :) And have a WONDERFUL trip in May...we're hoping to head over to the Magic Kingdom for a quick one day trip in May, ourselves! :cool:

I am happy to say that we do have our will written, power of attorney, and I am on all his paperwork, as are our children- I just never got the ID card! There is no military base around here- you have to either drive two hours to the coast or two hours up to Washington, so I can't shop at a PX. And Oregon has no sales tax, so a PX doesn't have that many advantages over Costco, althiugh I still wish one was closer!! I know tha you meant well-- we have to look out for each other.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter