Soft Grey Paint Color

I tried 13 greys before picked my hallway color. You have to try samples in your space. The changing light of the day, shadows and thing nearby with change the grey.
This. Lighting really changes what it looks like in a room.

We get samples and paint large squares in multiple areas. Even then, we have had missteps where things didn't work out. The worst was our upstairs hallway that is lit by edison bulbs at night and natural light in the day. Finding a color that worked in both lighting conditions was awful.

Yep, sure did! Leftover cans of Agreeable Gray paint in the basement and everything. :laughing: I couldn’t have cared less about the paint colors — we always intended to repaint no matter what — but it was crazy to see how fast grey houses got snapped up compared to others. We moved twice as fast to schedule showings for grey houses that came onto the market because we knew they would go quick. Grey is my favorite color but I’m pretty over it as a paint color at this point. The Agreeable Gray is slowly being erased from my house.
:goodvibes Don't dismiss Angry 90's Red completely out of hand. I'm rockin' it on a 3 story accent wall and at this time of year it's perfect when I bust out the harvest decor. Works great atChristmas too! ;)

:goodvibes Don't dismiss Angry 90's Red completely out of hand. I'm rockin' it on a 3 story accent wall and at this time of year it's perfect when I bust out the harvest decor. Works great atChristmas too! ;)
Oh, don’t worry. Red will feature prominently when we redesign our theater room with a subtle, understated design inspired by the Moulin Rouge elephant bedroom.
AE0FB0F3-D1D8-42E8-A32E-13C479ACA4B5.jpeg

We chose Sherwin William's Agreeable Gray. It's a soft gray.

Gray is SO hard. My friend painted most of her lower level in some sort of Benjamin Moore gray and she didn't sample it out. Most times, to me, it can look really purple.

This spring, we had all of our bathrooms redone and had to find some sort of gray that complemented the quartz/marble pattern used. This gray in the stone was on the warm side, and I struggled SO much with it. Plus, if you use gray in an area (like bathrooms) that don't get a lot of natural light, gray *can* appear very cold and gloomy.

I ended up spending a lot of time looking at people's renovations online and what paints they used to get a sense of how a particular gray looked in certain areas. Lots of the grays mentioned above ended up being too dark and gloomy in my bathrooms (no windows). I found some woman's link where she used Sherwin Williams "Pediment" in her upper level of her home and it looked great to me online. Very light, very soft and didn't have the cold gray feel to it. Of course, you can never trust your computer monitors, so I bought some and painted it in all my rooms.

The Pediment ended up being perfect. The only adjustment I made was in my lower level half-bath which is small and absolutely no natural light reaches it: I lightened Pediment by 25%.

I almost went with SW First Star or Crushed Ice. Both are similar but have a little less warmth to them and are probably great if you have a lot of natural light.

I used BM Sterling in my house. Did the dining room and bedroom in it. Love it. I did the family room one shade down, Paperwhite.

I just had my entire main level painted last week. I picked out all the colors myself and didn’t sample any of them on my walls. I knew that if I started buying samples I’d start second guessing everything and never decide. It took my so long to decide on all the colors and I was super nervous about seeing the final result as since I was paying to have it done that was it, I wasn’t going to just go paint over it.

I absolutely love it! It turned out better then I had hoped. Make sure to consider any undertones. One of the colors I picked was Benjamin Moore Grey Mirage, it’s not really grey at all, more of of kaki green colour. Last year when I painted my lower level I picked Sico Enchanted Flute, a color that looks pretty grey on the paint chip but definitely looks more blue on the walls.

It’s really interesting what different light does to paint colors. I painted my bedroom Benjamin Moore Tranquility and I absolutely love the color but sometimes it looks green, sometimes blue and sometimes grey, I think that’s why I like it so much.

Greys/griege/beige - so many variances for something that sounds so simply neutral.

Gray Owl brought back memories - it was THE color used in our area for a long time and may still be. I put it in one condo then I got on my greenish/gray and creamy white kick when we bought our house. Gray owl is a nice color though. About to start a paint color pick again and shuddering over the thought as it's combined with new carpet too. :faint:

I hope it was a red that covered better than the red I used in a bathroom. I had no clue at all about how many coats of paint it would take but people were kind enough to mention that tidbit about red after the fact!

We painted our whole house in Repose Gray before selling, at our realtor's suggestion. He said it was the most popular neutral.

Agree that agreeable grey is nice. Goes great with white woodwork.

If you have a large foam board (school supply). Buy a paint sample size and paint it. Then you can move it around different walls to see how it looks in different light.

We built this year and Agreeable Grey was what we could choose over the standard Truly Hideous Eggshell (for an upcharge, of course). I would agree that it is more of a Greige than a true Grey, but I’d pick it again.

We are using a great medium gray in our bedroom but I forget what the actual name of the shade was.

And on different walls. I had paint "squares" on the walls of my living room for about 2 weeks trying to find the right color when I painted a few years ago. What looks good on the wall may or may not look good on another.
I’m dealing with this right now in our dining room. Trying to decide between a gray blue and a sage green. The sage green sample on one wall looks like an ugly mint and the other looks nice.ugh

My parents built their home last year and all of their grey walls are also Agreeable Gray by Sherwin Williams. They get a ton of compliments on it and it goes with pretty much everything. They were really happy with it, after agonizing over deciding on paint colors for a while.

DH and I opted for The Perfect Greige by Sherwin Williams, which is more of a grey-beige mix. Some of our furniture and cabinets are a warmer tone, so we wanted something with a beige/tan undertone. Agreeable Gray is more of a cooler tone. I like both, just depends on your furniture and other paint colors.

I'd suggest searching specific paint colors on Pinterest or even Google image. You'll find photos of lots of rooms painted in the color you are searching for which helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter