• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

sofa sleeper= bed?

I have a futon. Im VERY unfond of it, It takes two people to shut it. Wall*E I am moving in with my eldery grandmother into her basement (which were redoing) since she needs more care than she can afford. I went hunting today and decided that I like those click clack couches. Anyone have one? the aparment is 12 by 19 so its a tiny.

I guess you didn't read my reply. :confused3
Sorry I guess I missed it. Its nice to have a oppinion on theres. Im trying to decide if I want a convertable sofa or if I want to keep my old futon. At least in this aparment I would be kid free and able to totally enjoy the lovely fake suede matress insted of the ugly red sheet.

IKEA has full sized loft beds. If you're staying with your grandmother and helping to care for her vs. having a studio apartment that makes things easier because presumably, if you are close enough to her to be moving in to help, you are also close enough to be sharing the kitchen, etc...... and will have more living space than just the tiny apartment. The loft bed would give you a full size bed and also the space below it to put a couch for entertaining. If you already have a futon you could put that underneath and use it if you ever had a guest

Is there any possibility that you could use a Murphy-style bed? I really like those best for these situations, because they stay made up as a bed, and you can use the mattress that you already have.

Also, depending on how it is built, you can even have storage on the "platform" wall. (Hooks for bags or coats, for instance. If you use closed-loop hooks such as are used on boats, the items will just lie on the floor under the bed when it is down, and rise up with it when you close it.)

I've even seen one that has a drop-mount dining table mounted on the platform wall, so that both pieces of furniture take turns occupying the same space. http://www.wallbedsbywilding.com/specials/chalet-distressed-murphy-wall-bed-special-369.jpg

Normally Murphys are quite expensive, but there is a neat set of instructions you can use to build one that can be purchased for about $10 at http://www.moddidaypeople.com/murphy_bed_wall_bed/murphy_bed.html

Before you invest in a sleeper sofa, there are few things to consider. One inherent problem with a combination sofa and bed is that it rarely performs both tasks equally well. There may have to be some compromises made in exchange for versatility. It may help to consider what a sleeper sofa's primary function would be in your particular home environment. Consider The Salsa Flip Flop Bed this is a great sofa bed and I highly recommended by some good shopping guide. Before shopping for a sleeper sofa, know what your particular priorities are.

What about a Click Clack sofa? I think they are a little nicer than a futon and come in many styles and price points. We had one in our first one bedroom apartment years ago for company.

We used a hand me down futon. The mattress was not great at all and I hated it. But we got a mattress topper that's about 3-4 inches thick. It's usually the same size as a full size bed, so we just bought regular sheets, and if any one came over we just folded it up. We lived in a tiny studio of a place. Barely had enough room for two dressers, tv stand, fish tank (30gal), and the futon. There was a second room for the kitchen which actually seemed bigger than the bedroom area.

If the basement isn't a walkout, you may have to be careful that what you buy fits thru the basement door, or down the stairs.
I had a friend that bought a sleeper sofa for their basement (for guests). When it was delivered, it was too large to fit thru the door. So they measured and bought a nice wood frame futon. When it was delivered, there wasn't enough room to turn it on the stairs to get it into the basement. They ended up buying a smaller, metal frame futon.

I'd put a regular bed in there and bring recliner chair. I'd hang a plasma on the wall and get decent internet so you can work. I would not worry about how the apartment "looked" so long as it was functional. Keep the kitchen area simple / bring 2 plates / settings and two or three pots / pans. Get a decent coffee pot and a toaster. Very minimal appliances / gadgets. It might be tight / mismatched / whatever. Just focus on making it comfortable and have it meet your short term goal. I would not buy a sofa bed. I don't think you would be satisfied with it long term / neither an expensive one or a cheap one help.

I have subletted apartments / when I had to work in other cities or even when the commute was terrible. I keep them very simple. This is not an apartment you should worry about entertaining it. Make it functional and comfortable for you. Don't worry about winning any better homes and gardens decorating awards.

kitchen? Thats somthing I gatta go upstairs for. Me and the microwave will be bonding. I want my place to look nice since I fully intend to drag my guy over as often as I can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter