Soda Stream

DawnM

DIS Veteran
I bought the Soda Stream mostly for ME to be able to use it to make sparkling water with lime or lemon squeezed in it, but thought the kids could use it for their drinks as well.

It came with about 15 samples. We don't like ANY of them! Their knock offs do not taste anything like the regular sodas we like (Dr. Pepper, Sprite, Coke, Root Beer).

Now, I know we can get a few of the syrups at Sam's in large quantities but I am curious......

If you have a Soda Stream, do YOU like the flavors they sell? Do you buy their syrups?

Dawn

I don't like it at all. The only one I can drink is the ginger ale with real sugar. DH insisted on getting it :/

I don't like the diet colas at all, but I like the raspberry cranberry soda and I like the lemon flavor for seltzer. My kids love it all...rootbeer, orange, fruit punch, icetea/lemonade, ginger ale, etc. all of them! I mostly use it to make seltzer.

This is new -- I have had my Soda Stream for about 5 years now -- and the syrups were MUCH better up to two years ago-- they seem bland or musky now -- all of them :( would LOVE to get my hands on some "real" mix (Coke or Dr Pepper or Root Beer!)

No!!!! We got one because DH had something similar when he was a kid and loved it but we have tried several flavors and have hated them all. I currently have Country Time lemonade sitting in my pantry that I was going to try this weekend. I'll let you know how it is when we make it!

We got one for Christmas as a gift. Didn't try all the flavor mixes, but did find some we like.

I didn't care for the Diet cola flavor, but really like the Coke Zero type. They are different flavors. The Coke Zero type has a black bottle. Also like the diet grapefruit.
My daughter and husband both like the Dr. Pepper type and the Root Beer.
We have others, Cola and I guess what is like Sierra Mist.

So for us, it has been a pretty good thing. We drink mostly water or tea, but if we want a soda I like that it is here for us and quick.

For mine, I have been on a Cherry coke zero kick, so have been adding a bit of sugar free Torani Cherry syrup. I consider that a treat, like a dessert for me.

I dont like any of the colas. The lemonade is also nasty (sorry!) I do like the lemon-lime, cranberry-raspberry, root beer and orange. I liked the grapefruit sample but have not purchased more. Gingerale is ok too.

We got one for Christmas as a gift. Didn't try all the flavor mixes, but did find some we like.

I didn't care for the Diet cola flavor, but really like the Coke Zero type. They are different flavors. The Coke Zero type has a black bottle. Also like the diet grapefruit.
My daughter and husband both like the Dr. Pepper type and the Root Beer.
We have others, Cola and I guess what is like Sierra Mist.

So for us, it has been a pretty good thing. We drink mostly water or tea, but if we want a soda I like that it is here for us and quick.

For mine, I have been on a Cherry coke zero kick, so have been adding a bit of sugar free Torani Cherry syrup. I consider that a treat, like a dessert for me.

Were you a Coke Zero drinker? I'm asking because DH drinks a ton of Coke Zero (I'm talking 1-2 two liter bottles a day) and so I've thought about getting the Soda Stream...to save money but also so I'm not hauling 14 two liter bottles of soda from the store every week. lol, there is no slowing him down, believe me I've tried.

you can pick up "normal" syrups from Sam's club. It's just a different ratio. I work for a company that deals soda streams and one customer that regularly comes in to swap out his co2 said he does, but it takes trial and error to get the mix rite.

I bought mine from HSN & got a bunch of the samples along with 3 full size bottles of KoolAid mix (grape-punch-cherry). The grandkids love the Koolaid ones. They wouldn't touch any of the lemon lime or sierra mist types which are flavors they normally love I thought the Dr Pete and the root beer were ok.

We only use ours for seltzer. We no longer drink soda. The only time my kids had soda was once in a restaurant when they mistakenly brought us soda instead of water - I couldn't figure out why the kids didn't like the 'water'.

We have considered one over the years. But with this discussion of flavors, I don't know.

Those that add juice or just drink seltzer water, do you use it enough to justify the initial cost and replacement cartridges?

I want one, for seltzer! My big question is how much does the refill cost for the bubbles,and how often do you have to replace it?

I find none of the flavors except maybe the diet zero to be anything like the real flavors, but taken for what they are, I like (all diet flavors) the fountain mist, dr pete, root beer, zero, orange, ginger ale, pink grapefruit.

I did the calculations based on what we were paying for soda and what we were paying for CO2 and syrup and the sodastream was not saving any money, just empty soda bottles. Using 20% off for bottles of syrup at $4.99 , making them $3.99 and a $5 off $15 for the CO2 refills at Bed Bath and Beyond, makes it a money saver.

Even their non-diet beverages are sweetened with Splenda, which I cannot/will not use. Their "naturally" sweetened syrups end up costing more than just buying 2 liters.
I was amazed they have Kool-aid now. What ever happened to just making a pitcher yourself? It isn't that hard to do,LOL.

We have considered one over the years. But with this discussion of flavors, I don't know.

Those that add juice or just drink seltzer water, do you use it enough to justify the initial cost and replacement cartridges?

I'm not so sure it saves money, but it sure is a lot more convenient now that I don't have to buy and carry home those bottles of soda & seltzer from the grocery store.

We just got handed down one from my SIL and LOVE IT.

DH and I are big seltzer drinkers. The premixed were all pretty gross to us, but regular extracts from the baking section have been great. Tastes just like LeCroix or Seagrams flavored seltzer. You only need a few drops to flavor a half liter. Orange, raspberry, lemon, and coconut have all been great (and cheap!)

Dh recently got one.
They taste different because they use a different sweetner (sucrulose) than the "real" pop. He got Diet Coke from Sam's and while it doesn't taste the same, he's played around with the amount and is happy with it. He also found it needs to sit after it's been made to taste more like real Diet Coke. Sam's also carries Coke and Dr. Pepper. You have to get it from the snack bar. Dh and kids love it. I only drink water with an occasional Diet Coke or iced coffee (black), so I can live without it.

The "original" flavors have Sucralose in them. That makes them taste funny to me (and give me a headache besides). :mad:

The naturals don't, but they are just ok.

That said, you aren't going to get the same product as you would if you used a Pepsi syrup or a Coke syrup. Those are different formulas. (Same with lemon lime, root beer, etc).

I like to order my flavors from this guy. It takes a lot more to make it, as they are not concentrated, but at least they taste good.

http://pittsburghsodapop.com/
The cola is very strong. I love the cream soda and vanilla root beer; dh really likes the cola and spiced root beer. The butterbeer is :thumbsup2pixiedust::littleangel::flower3::angel:
Best of all, they use cane sugar. Brings back the taste of soda when I was a kid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter