Sober Dining at WDW

Teresa Andreani

Moxie64
I'm a person in long-term recovery and avoid eating foods prepared with alcohol. I've begun indicating an allergy with my ADR and having a conversation with the server and/or chef before making my selection. Sometimes it's obvious (sauces on menus that say 'red wine reduction') but other times I've been really surprised. For example, on a recent trip to Trail's End at Fort Wilderness, the only item on the buffet that contained alcohol was the ganache frosting on the brownies (with colorful sprinkles that all the kids were eating). At the Wave, every dessert item contained alcohol.

I've only encountered one chef who remarked, "You'll be fine since the alcohol cooks out." That's a myth. I had a great conversation with that chef and shared a link to the USDA research on alcohol retention in food.

I would love it if restaurants marked items prepared with alcohol (just like things that are vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, etc are marked). In the meantime, I'll just ask.

I'm curious what experiences others may have had.

I do not drink either, and can't stand the taste of alcohol in foods. I can tell right away if there's alcohol in the recipe. I tend to ask for sauces on the side and eat my food plain. I agree that it's something that should be flagged on the menu (some restaurants do).

I see it as no different than any other food "allergy." I am allergic to ginger which is a very rare allergy so I don't expect anything to be marked clearly indicating if something contains ginger because the average person doesn't care. I simply mention that I am allergic to ginger and typically the chef comes out to tell me what has ginger and cannot be changed, what contains ginger but can be made special, any items with potential cross contamination issues, etc.

I do not drink either, and can't stand the taste of alcohol in foods. I can tell right away if there's alcohol in the recipe. I tend to ask for sauces on the side and eat my food plain. I agree that it's something that should be flagged on the menu (some restaurants do).
Thanks for your reply. I’m curious where you’ve see this marked on menus. I think that’s great.

I see it as no different than any other food "allergy." I am allergic to ginger which is a very rare allergy so I don't expect anything to be marked clearly indicating if something contains ginger because the average person doesn't care. I simply mention that I am allergic to ginger and typically the chef comes out to tell me what has ginger and cannot be changed, what contains ginger but can be made special, any items with potential cross contamination issues, etc.
I appreciate your reply. Unfortunately, alcoholism isn’t so rare and for many people, the stigma associated with it makes public conversations (like asking this if a server) can be a challenge.

I’m also mindful of people who don’t consume alcohol for religious purposes. It’s somewhere around 1 in 9 people who identify as no drinkers.

I'm in long term recovery also and on my 2009 trip Le Cellier was the hotness and everyone talked about the cheese soup. Somehow I missed the fact that it was BEER cheese soup until I tasted it :crazy2:. I almost cried!

I don't list it as an allergy, I just know now to ask every time. I don't consider accidental ingestion like that a relapse but I really don't like the taste in my food and I never have.

As a parent of a child with a deadly nut allergy I can be sensitive about people using that word when they mean sensitivity, or that they dislike something, but in this case it's valid. If you ingest alcohol your body responds inappropriately and you might die.

I know its a pain, but do you have anyone in your group who could maybe taste something suspect just to be sure? When a family member I travel with was recently sober we did this and it worked well.

I think the key is to make sure you double check the 'fine print' on menu items. For instance, the beer cheese soup at Le Cellier does not label it as beer cheese soup, but does include it in the description (from my recollection).

From my experience with sober diners at WDW, this is typically not a concern except with desserts.

You aren't required to explain WHY you need to know if an ingredient is presence in a dish. Whether it's alcoholism, an allergy, or religious reasons WDW is happy to help you out if you can't consume something. I just think it's unrealistic to expect WDW to actually POST something on menus for all the various ingredients that could cause issues for guests. I've never been inconvenienced having to speak to the chef about my allergy - actually I have always been very impressed by how they clearly want to make sure I don't have a problem.

I detest things with alcohol as an ingredient or cooking method. I can taste it. The flavor doesn't cook off. I don't drink...not for any other reason than taste. Blech. I don't enjoy the feeling of being altered either. I avoid any wine based sauces and ask when I'm unsure.

If you don't want to discuss your personal alcohol issues with the restaurant/staff, tell them it's for religious reasons, so it doesn't matter if it's "cooked out" or not.

As someone who works in the restaurant industry, we hear all the time about people not wanting to have alcohol in their food for religious reasons, and sometimes that's easier for a server to understand why it's an issue.

Thanks for your reply. I’m curious where you’ve see this marked on menus. I think that’s great.

I wasn't speaking of Disney specifically, but other restaurants I visit. Some of them have a little marker (various markers for various allergens, etc.) on the menu that indicates there is alcohol in the item. I would like to see that as standard at all restaurants, but it's probably wishful thinking.

My mom suffers from migraines. She has become a pro at finding out what is in the foods. She often sends the server to go ask if there is anything wine or sherry based in the food

Do not feel bad about asking and sending the server back to ask. Congratulations on your sobriety

My mom suffers from migraines. She has become a pro at finding out what is in the foods. She often sends the server to go ask if there is anything wine or sherry based in the food

Do not feel bad about asking and sending the server back to ask. Congratulations on your sobriety

I don’t feel bad about asking but I’m also not concerned with protecting my anonymity. I have a couple of executive coaching clients for whom disclosure in a business setting could be problematic.

Sometimes it’s obvious — like the beer cheese soup or items that indicate a reduced wine sauce. I’ve been surprised sometimes — for example some of the sushi at California Grill.

I appreciate everyone’s comments here.

I work in the food service industry and have also worked in a detox so I understand the multiple reasons for anonymity. In the restaurant I work in we have a book listing the ingredients in our dishes as well as any potential allergies. You could ask if that was available and then no discussion would need to ensue as to what a person may not be able to eat for whatever personal reasons you may have.

As a parent of a child with a deadly nut allergy I can be sensitive about people using that word when they mean sensitivity, or that they dislike something, but in this case it's valid. If you ingest alcohol your body responds inappropriately and you might die.

I have food allergies myself and I also take issue with the word "allergy" being used liberally for situation that are not an actual diagnosed medical allergy. I also support your right to request a chef consultation at every meal to ensure that everything you order meets your needs and supports your recovery. I just feel that when the term "allergy" gets used for inappropriately for other situations it risks desensitizing servers and chefs to the severity of food allergies. And I hope this does not come across as insensitive to the gravity of your needs because I wish you continued success and joy in your sober journey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter