Soarin

Leahmeicher

Mouseketeer
I have never rode any rides in my life because the simple turtle ride canMake me sick. And I easily get car sick but I am taking my first Disney trip in nov , and really want to experience soarin will this ride cause motion sickness or can u just close ur eyes? If it does cause sickness is it worth being sick for ?

No one can answer that except you. It sounds like you are highly sensitive to movement. Soarin' provides the sense that you are moving ...and at the beginning and end of the ride, you actually are. I don't think any ride is 'worth' being sick for. There's so much to enjoy, why chance ruining all the rest of your experience. If you can't ride, then you can't.

I get motion sick very easily. Coasters and most screen simulators make me deathly ill. Yet for some reason soarin’ doesn’t. I love it. But obviously that doesn’t mean you’ll react the same way.

It only bothers me at the beginning of the ride when the seats go up, so I close my eyes. As soon as the screen lights,up,and starts then I am ok. Then I close my eyes again at the end when we go back down. I love that ride!!

My daughter, husband, and I don't like simulators. My daughter gets motion sickness in cars, on certain rides, and she doesn't like heights. We all like Soarin, but that being said I did close my eyes during certain parts the first couple of times. If you want to ride it badly go at the end of the day and if you change your mind and decide not to ride there is plenty of fun to be had at EPCOT. There are a few rides I still haven't braved and one of them is the teacups at MK!

I have motion sickness to the point where I cant read in a car or on a bus or ride any roller coasters or simulator rides, and I have never had a problem with Soarin. I love it.

I avoided Soarin' for YEARS because of my fear of motion sickness. I am very easily sickened on most rides these days. Heck, watching some of my son's X-Box games will induce motion sickness.

Anyway, last year, I was determined to ride FoP (not so much Soarin'). I just decided to get on the ride and close my eyes if it got to a point that I knew my motion sickness would be triggered. I'll be honest, out of fear, I closed my eyes a lot but I ended up doing fine. So I rode FoP again, eyes fully open, never had an issue.

So when our Epcot day came, I knew I was ready for Soarin'. Well, I never had a problem so I rode it twice.

I think you should try it and just be prepared to close your eyes whenever you need to, to see how it goes.

When you start soaring through the mountains sideways, it need to close my eyes. I haven't seen the newer version yet, so I'm not sure of what would be the problem there. But shutting my eyes seems to resolve the issue. I can't do simulators, rides that go up and down, spin or shake. I can do Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story Midway Mania because I am focused on the game. None of the mountains, no carousel.

If you close your eyes, try every now and then to open your eyes for a brief time then close them again for a longer time. Repeat. This may let you enjoy some of the ride without getting dizzy. You might find out that you can keep your eyes open for longer periods of time during some scenes.

I get dizzy during some IMAX movies (very large screen) and some video games (notably using old fashioned CRT tube screens) and all the Virtual Reality goggles I tried so far.

Most carousels have some horses and animals that do not go up and down. Watch the ride for one or two ride cycles to figure out which ones they are before getting in line.

Maybe you can 'work up to it.' Try starting off with small world, or Pirates of the Caribbean. See how you feel. Then try Dumbo or Buzz Lightyear.
I get motion sickness on Star Tours, and most of the simulator rides at Universal. But, Soarin' doesn't bother me. It is a smoother ride, and not 'jerky' like some simulators.
I am a firm believer that the magic of WDW isn't the rides, so if you have to sit one out, you will still have a great time.
It is hard to say, because everyone is different. How bad is your motion sickness? Are we talking about being completely out for the rest of the day, or just sitting on a bench for 15 minutes?

I avoided Soarin' for YEARS because of my fear of motion sickness. I am very easily sickened on most rides these days. Heck, watching some of my son's X-Box games will induce motion sickness.

Anyway, last year, I was determined to ride FoP (not so much Soarin'). I just decided to get on the ride and close my eyes if it got to a point that I knew my motion sickness would be triggered. I'll be honest, out of fear, I closed my eyes a lot but I ended up doing fine. So I rode FoP again, eyes fully open, never had an issue.

So when our Epcot day came, I knew I was ready for Soarin'. Well, I never had a problem so I rode it twice.

I think you should try it and just be prepared to close your eyes whenever you need to, to see how it goes.
Thanks

Wow lucky! lol. FoP was pretty intense for me in terms of motion sickness. I took Dramamine that morning but still had to keep my eyes closed for 75% of the time. The little bit I was able to see though was amazing! Soarin' for some reason does not trigger my motion sickness though, I have never had an issue riding it.

Wow lucky! lol. FoP was pretty intense for me in terms of motion sickness. I took Dramamine that morning but still had to keep my eyes closed for 75% of the time. The little bit I was able to see though was amazing! Soarin' for some reason does not trigger my motion sickness though, I have never had an issue riding it.

Yeah, I was shocked that FoP didn't get me. There was one scene in it as you swoop down toward the water with the big whale that almost got me, but it didn't. I still really can't believe it.

Two things that will incite it for me is RnR at the first loop as well as ToT sometimes.

I have never rode any rides in my life because the simple turtle ride canMake me sick. And I easily get car sick but I am taking my first Disney trip in nov , and really want to experience soarin will this ride cause motion sickness or can u just close ur eyes? If it does cause sickness is it worth being sick for ?

Have you ever tried the Sea-Bands? They look like sports sweatbands you wear on your wrist but they have a little firm plastic button that, when properly positioned, stimulates an accupressure point and reduces that feeling of queasiness. I get terribly sea sick and have used these on small catamarans for a week at a time and on large cruise ships and never felt sick again. I don't get motion sickness from rides but I would imagine the same principle applies. They are less than $10 US in drug stores and online.

I think you should try it. As others have mentioned, the ride doesn’t move too much so if you need to close your eyes you should be fine.

I have terrible motion sickness. In cars, on rides, on playground swings...all of it. I bought these motion sickness patches and they have been a life saver! I used to take Dramamine but it made me so tired I had to drag my way through the parks for the first two hours. One of these patches behind my ear and I can ride the bad side of Mission Space. Ok, I don’t feel amazing after that one...but I can do it.
https://www.amazon.com/MQ®-Motion-Sickness-Patch-Count/dp/B00S9FSPOG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1J9BCTOOTWH3U&keywords=mq+motion+sickness+patch,20+count/box&qid=1561846932&s=gateway&sprefix=Mq,aps,144&sr=8-3&th=1

You might try non drowsy Dramamine. Each year older, I get more sensitive and it works for me. Someone else mentioned the sea bands. There are also ginger chews and I find it helps to chew a fresh piece of mint gum at the beginning of the attraction. Staying hydrated is key as well.

How do you handle a car or plane?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter