Soarin' Over California coming back for Food & Wine Festival

I don't know the mechanics behind the scents, but each show has different odors, so I assume that switching on the fly isn't feasible.
you-got-a-gift-you.gif

Seeing this reported on Twitter. So unfair since I can't get back till June. Supposed to run March 4th through April 26th. I've never understood why both parks have to have the same Soarin', especially a park that's supposed to be California-centric.

The "new" Soarin' absolutely sucks. I wish they had just kept the California version. I never got sick of that one. The new one is a "one and done" for me, with all the stupid distorted bent images. Hate it. You could be anywhere on the old California version without having that issue.

Honest question: why can't (at least the DCA version) do some variation of Star Tours, where they randomize which show you'll watch (World or California)? I get that it wouldn't make sense / be feasible to switch out the locales during the show like ST does, but I'd love not knowing until the clouds cleared

At the very least, as others mentioned, it's the scents that are a problem. Plus they would have to have someone design the show being switched randomly (doesn't seem hard, but you never know how difficult it could be to add something to older technology).

However, even if that was not the case, I wouldn't like getting the non california version, when that is the one I want. Imagine trying to go on it 3 times, and each time getting the version you don't want! :(

However, even if that was not the case, I wouldn't like getting the non california version, when that is the one I want. Imagine trying to go on it 3 times, and each time getting the version you don't want! :(

I mean, I went on GOTG three times in August and somehow got the same song every single time (Free Ride!). When I went back in December, I was like... if I get the same dang song this time, I'm gonna be so mad, but thankfully it was something different!

But, it would definitely be worse if I wanted California and got the World instead. A MUCH bigger disappointment.

It's always weird to me how international and casual visitors tend to like World more than California but semi-frequent American visitors like California more than World. I see a similar phenomenon with Hyperspace Mountain vs Space Mountain and Paint the Night vs Main Street Electrical. I actually think it's great that they rotate by season so that people can experience both.

While the storyline of California is better, it is visually outdated and I really wish they changed the last scene so it's not a blurry Christmas parade year-round. If they reshot the scenes in higher quality and smoothed out some of the jump cuts, I'd be more likely to prefer it over World. But right now, World is cleaner and more visually impressive so to me, it's not cut and dry.

They’re both good in their own way. The world version is cleaner and more clear. I like that they switch back and forth.

Sorry we can’t get there - we’d ride it over and over! We hate the World version and never ride it anymore. It’s pretty apparent to me that World was the victim of serious budget cuts. I’m sure the people who worked on it are ashamed, especially about the obvious curvature of the Eiffel Tower.

We booked our trip months and months ago for 2/26-3/3. We're in the "black hole" week after Lunar New Year activities, before Soarin' changes and Food and Wine starts. A week too early for Villain's night. It will still be great but feel like I'm missing everything "extra"

Okay, random question from someone who prefers the California version.

From the website:
Better Than You Remember
Thrill as you’re raised high into the air in front of an 80-foot projection dome for a virtual tour across the Golden State. Incredible IMAX digital projection and spectacular aerial footage simulate the graceful motion of flight. This timeless, majestic bird has never looked better!

Does this imply that they perhaps refreshed it in some way? I'm talking about technical refresh, because the last time I saw Soarin/CA, it was somewhat jittery and grainy. I love film grain, don't get me wrong (I still shoot photos with film), but rescanning/remastering the original negatives would be nice. I just got used to the 8K/120fps + CGI of Soarin/World.

I'm not sure if "better than you remember" is referring to pre or post 2015 when they converted the ride from IMAX 70mm to IMAX dual-laser.

I mean, I went on GOTG three times in August and somehow got the same song every single time (Free Ride!). When I went back in December, I was like... if I get the same dang song this time, I'm gonna be so mad, but thankfully it was something different!

But, it would definitely be worse if I wanted California and got the World instead. A MUCH bigger disappointment.

That's like me, except with Give Up the Funk. Not that it's bad, but it's one of my less favorite songs on the list. And. I. Always. Get. It. 🙄

That's like me, except with Give Up the Funk. Not that it's bad, but it's one of my less favorite songs on the list. And. I. Always. Get. It. 🙄

Ha! We ALWAYS get Jackson 5. My dd and I look at each other every time when Rocket's shadow is plugging in and say, "just not Jackson 5 again!" We have only had Elvis, Buring Love once.

Ha! We ALWAYS get Jackson 5. My dd and I look at each other every time when Rocket's shadow is plugging in and say, "just not Jackson 5 again!" We have only had Elvis, Buring Love once.

And that's the one I've never gotten! Maybe in April. A girl can dare to dream.

We booked our trip months and months ago for 2/26-3/3. We're in the "black hole" week after Lunar New Year activities, before Soarin' changes and Food and Wine starts. A week too early for Villain's night. It will still be great but feel like I'm missing everything "extra"
At least you still get POTC! (My family is working through our grief at missing this in April...)

I'm more of a Pat Benetar guy, but I like Born to be Wild too.

I'll be there during the Black Hole too, 2/23-3/2. I don't really care about missing the Lunar New Year Festival but Soarin over California would have been nice to see again as well as being able to do a bit of Food & Wine. At least I should be able to do Matterhorn, Indy & Roger Rabbit before they close as well as Pirates. Don't care about Splash. Seems the Treehouse is always closed whenever I go to DL, doesn't matter what time of year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter