Soarin’ Over California Returning to Epcot Until Feb 27, 2024!

raidermatt - very good idea and very well thought out.

As best I can tell, switching between the 2 movies takes recalibrating the machines and changing out the scents. So here's hoping (fingers crossed) that they're too busy to change it out on Jan 1 or 2 and at least have it up on the 3rd or even a few days longer into the New Year. Sound plausible anyone?

raidermatt - very good idea and very well thought out.

As best I can tell, switching between the 2 movies takes recalibrating the machines and changing out the scents. So here's hoping (fingers crossed) that they're too busy to change it out on Jan 1 or 2 and at least have it up on the 3rd or even a few days longer into the New Year. Sound plausible anyone?

Being I see no sign of Soarin' going down to change over by the 22nd.... I'd say it's a good chance it's just a simple process and could happen anytime.

I'm glad they're bringing it back for a limited run. But I never thought Soarin' Over California made a lot of sense as a permanent attraction for Disney World in Florida. What they should do is use this time to remake Soarin' Around the World properly. No CGI, no distorted images, no more cheap corner cutting. Use the most advanced aerial cameras in existence and actually fly over the sights, rather than simulating it (cheaply).

This is such good news! We went to DL last year for Christmas and were disappointed not to see Soarin’ over CA in CA!?! It was a first trip for most of the family, DH and I had seen the original on a trip in 03 and really hoped the kids & Gma would get to see the original.

So excited as we will be in EPCOT on 9/23. Disappointed we can’t see Moana Journey of Water but happy to see this. 😊

I'm not holding my breath, but I sure would love to see California again. I won't be there until late January/ early February though, so my chances are probably zero. Unless they get such great feedback that they decide to keep it permanently. Wishful thinking, I know lol. I didn't even bother to ride Soarin' on my last trip. I just don't like the World version. When it was California it was a must do, multiple times per visit.

I'm not holding my breath, but I sure would love to see California again. I won't be there until late January/ early February though, so my chances are probably zero. Unless they get such great feedback that they decide to keep it permanently. Wishful thinking, I know lol. I didn't even bother to ride Soarin' on my last trip. I just don't like the World version. When it was California it was a must do, multiple times per visit.
I could have written the same….

I'm glad they're bringing it back for a limited run. But I never thought Soarin' Over California made a lot of sense as a permanent attraction for Disney World in Florida. What they should do is use this time to remake Soarin' Around the World properly. No CGI, no distorted images, no more cheap corner cutting. Use the most advanced aerial cameras in existence and actually fly over the sights, rather than simulating it (cheaply).
This. I was looking forward to the new version- the footage for the original is stunning. I was extremely disappointed that the bad CGI route was taken. I expected incredible real footage of worldwide locations. That does actually fit Epcot better but I’ll take the superior Calif version despite it not fitting in.

I’ve never met anyone who prefers the “round the world” version to the original. And that includes every CM I have ever talked about this with.
We much prefer the 'round the world' version to the original. Although you do need to sit in the centre section, the theme of going around the world is much better suited to Disney World in Florida than a California themed ride. We enjoy the opportunity to 'see' these iconic places. Perfect fit for Epcot - BUT they do need to do a quality film instead of the obviously cost saving, cheap version currently on offer. The ride should be good from every seat and this is simply not true. Also, they need to have a foot rest of some kind to remove the intrusion of dangling feet from others field of view.

I love the ride concept, but it needs work.

There was an emotional connection I had to the first one that I don’t really have to the second. Regardless of how many times I saw the California version I found myself spontaneously applauding many times as the ride lowered back down and it’s just not there with Around the World.

I would like to see California again to see if that’s still there.

100% agree with this. I've never seen the California version (I will be in about a week), but I don't think it makes sense in Epcot permanently. The World fits Epcot's theme so I'd much rather see them update that version.

Or.. make a Soarin Over Florida. And as much as people would have jokes about that, Florida really does have some beautiful scenery.

100% agree with this. I've never seen the California version (I will be in about a week), but I don't think it makes sense in Epcot permanently. The World fits Epcot's theme so I'd much rather see them update that version.

Or.. make a Soarin Over Florida. And as much as people would have jokes about that, Florida really does have some beautiful scenery.
I'll be curious to hear your thoughts after you've ridden it, especially with 'Around the World' being your first experience. Hope you enjoy California as much as you do Around the World!

We much prefer the 'round the world' version to the original. Although you do need to sit in the centre section, the theme of going around the world is much better suited to Disney World in Florida than a California themed ride. We enjoy the opportunity to 'see' these iconic places. Perfect fit for Epcot - BUT they do need to do a quality film instead of the obviously cost saving, cheap version currently on offer. The ride should be good from every seat and this is simply not true. Also, they need to have a foot rest of some kind to remove the intrusion of dangling feet from others field of view.

I love the ride concept, but it needs work.
Every year when my friends and I go we ask the cast member who asks "how many in your party" if we can be in the front row. Even if it means having to wait...No dangling feet in front of us :)

Do you follow Gratuitous Theme Parks?

https://x.com/GratThemeParks/status/1705338413593846050

Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 8.38.18 PM.png

The return of Soarin' Over California is wonderful news! I do agree that Soarin' Over the World is probably a better fit for Epcot but, as just about every other poster has lamented, the dismal quality and distortion of the "world" version is so obvious that it's distracting. And, it may just be me, but the strength and integration of the scents seemed better in Soarin' Over California...the motable smell of oranges and the beach really added an additional layer to the experience that doesn't seem quite as pronounced in the "world" version. Okay, there is a smell when the elephants appear in the "world" version but not much else...at least to this nose! Finally, loved the golf ball flying at you in the original version!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter