Soarin’ Over California Returning to Epcot Until Feb 27, 2024!

Have they announced if Soarin' will close at all to switch it over? We are there on September 18 and I may switch my days over missing my absolute favorite ride (any version of it)!

Have they announced if Soarin' will close at all to switch it over? We are there on September 18 and I may switch my days over missing my absolute favorite ride (any version of it)!
Good question. I don't think there is much to do when they switch. It's all digital now so it's probably just a matter of downloading the file and filling the smelitizers with the appropriate scent. I'm sure they need to do a few ride-throughs to make sure everything is working right. Then multiply that by three since there are three theaters. Still it probably could get done overnight if they wanted to.

I can only assume that when the Imagineers were testing the new movie, they only ever sat in the center section.

If that were true, it would seem like such an obvious quality control oversight. But if they did test all sections, would they really have said "well, its good enough. No one will notice the curved Eiffel Tower"?

Looking forward to this. We'll be there just before the official 100th date, so we'll miss any special things happening on that day only, but glad we can catch some of these other things like this a little early.

Last time I rode Soarin, I was in one of the side sections, and the curvature of the screen with the angle was really noticeable.

We also prefer over California version.
We don't go to WDW until Jan. so will probably miss it.
We skip the newer version. Neither of us like it much
We will also be there in a January. It seems like EPCOT will be wrapping up their Disney 100 stuff before the new year. I’m so sad we will miss it. the original version is superior.

We haven’t done Soarin’ for years because we dislike the new version so very much.
While Around the World is okay, I’d like to see them return to Over California permanently.
YES YES YES YES YES!
Yay! I'm at Epcot on 9/22!!!

My favourite and I’m in Epcot that day too! 😊
Please ride as many times as you possibly can! We can’t be there, and I’m hoping the lines are so long that Disney decides to make the change permanent.
If that were true, it would seem like such an obvious quality control oversight. But if they did test all sections, would they really have said "well, it’s good enough. No one will notice the curved Eiffel Tower"?
My theory, although I have no evidence to support it, is that new Soarin’ got caught in the budget cuts that occurred as a result of the 2008-2012 recession and that’s why it’s so pitiful.

My theory, although I have no evidence to support it, is that new Soarin’ got caught in the budget cuts that occurred as a result of the 2008-2012 recession and that’s why it’s so pitiful.

The Land lost its sponsor, Nestle, in 2009 during that recession. It shows. Soarin' needs a refurb. Move to all digital 8k projectors, upgrade the computers (last I saw they were still on Windows Vista), upgrade the sound, new carpet, etc.

I don't understand corporate America. It's a gem of a pavilion. The Kellogg Company, Campbell Soup, Conagra, General Mills, Kraft Heinz—one of you sponsor it.

PepsiCo would be the perfect sponsor (they own a ton of food brands) but thanks to Coke's exclusive deal it won't happen.

They should just keep the original version as it is simply better. Clean up the film and leave it. No need to "fix" what is not broken. In this case the "fix" is worse than the original. Maybe not as awful as version 1 to 2 of Journey into Imagination, but still a big step back. Who in imagineering thought the smell of elephants throwing dirt would be better than oranges?

This is great to hear, but seriously... does anyone have any good speculation as to about what date this will run thru?

I've seen one article (disneytouristblog) that talks about *at least* to Dec 31 when the 100 anniversary ends, but then it could extend into Jan/Feb when things are a little on the slow side?

What do you folks think?

This is great to hear, but seriously... does anyone have any good speculation as to about what date this will run thru?

I've seen one article (disneytouristblog) that talks about *at least* to Dec 31 when the 100 anniversary ends, but then it could extend into Jan/Feb when things are a little on the slow side?

What do you folks think?

My guess would be 12/31 only because other "Disney 100" things are specifically listed on the WDW site as from 9/22 to 12/31 and it's the same start date.

I would absolutely love if it stayed through February (or forever) though.

Oranges....

Of course Soaring is one of those attractions that really ought to have a number of rotating "shows". It's just a 5 minute movie with some effect - wind, water and smell.

I just never understood their decision to move to CGI when Disney is known for capturing some of the best worldwide natural footage. And then gives us computerized elephants and Taj Mahal with a bent Eiffel Tower.

Hoping they have something new in the works for after this limited showing of the original.

Awesome -looking forward to seeing the Hidden Mickeys again, especially the Hot Air Balloon "moving" Hidden Mickey, one of my favorites!

The CA version is so much better, for a combination of the reasons named. World has too much CGI (and bad CGI at that), jarring transitions and distorted images. On top of that the music is much better arranged in the CA version.

I would have no issues if they scrapped the World version for good. But failing that, they have 3 theaters so they could run it like Mission Space. Essentially two separate attractions. The more popular version gets 2 theaters.

I am sure both versions would draw well enough. CA because it is superior and the World version because first timers will naturally gravitate toward that first. It would even give Epcot an extra attraction at minimal cost, as unlike Mission Space, some people would ride both. And, if down the road one version ends up being wildly more popular than the other, well, survival of the fittest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter