So you ask..."How bad was the smoke last week at WDW?"....

MeanLaureen

<font color=purple>Slam Dancer Extraordinaire<br><
Check out these pictures of what we woke up to on Sunday...

This is the normal view from our room at The Swan
balcony1.jpg

This is the same view on Sunday
balcony3.jpg

The World Showcase that morning..
uk-smoke.jpg

The Magic Kingdom...
mk-smoke.jpg

And last but not least... the view from the Boardwalk Pin Cart!
bw-smoke.jpg

It really was bad. If it wasn't for the Memorial Day pin I don't think I would have gone out in it! I feel sorry for the people that live in the areas that deal with this smoke. For the first half of the day boat service was stopped, bus service was stopped and most of the major interstates were closed. I hope they can get a handle on these fires soon!!

Thankfully that was the only day it got that bad. I walked over to MGM from the Swan Sunday morning, and as I passed under the road I could not see the other side of the boat canal.

Hi MeanLaureen, Wow. That was really bad. When we were there for the second release hat pin it was almost as bad. it makes for a miserable time.
Kris
:eek:

We were staying at the brand-new Marriott Residence Inn, about two blocks from the Crossings Shopping Center. When we looked out our window on Sunday morning, we saw nothing -- Just the smoke fog right up against the window.

The short drive to DTD was a nightmare. If DH hadn't known exactly where to go it would have been hopeless. We could not see the street signs, nor could we even see the other side of the median on the divided roadway. But, as we came down hotel boulevard the fog began to thin and was more like Lauri's pictures.

An hour later, when we left DTD, the whole thing had blown off. It was the weirdest and scariest mess we'd ever seen.:eek:

We were staying in LBV near the crossroads. The smoke was so thick, you couldnt see the traffic lights, so getting through without hitting any on coming traffic was a task. All of the water parks had delayed openings and disney wouldnt let any of their busses run during this time which caused the delay of opening world showcase at epcot an extra hour. The only upside to this was that I didnt have a problem getting the memorial day pins that morning which Im sure Mean Laureen would agree also. The parks kept their outdoor attractions and merchandise carts closed until the smoke subsided and rotated the cast around so they wouldnt be exposed for too long. By about 11 am, it had cleared up pretty well.

Three of my children are at WDW right now, at AKL. I've spoken with my daughter at least six or seven times since they arrived on Friday ( getting the inside scoop on what she's trading for ) and she said the smoke was not a factor right now. It rained on Friday and she's hoping that it helped somewhat. She's keeping her fingers crossed for the next few days.

Cruella, yes, there's a walkway to MGM on the Boardwalk side of the canal. It's probably a 15-20 minute walk from the bridge going over to the Swan.

:earseek:
And I thought the CA smog -- er Haze, was bad! Whew! How terrible those fires are for all!

Please remember that 1/2 of that in the pictures is fog. By 10 am, it had mostly cleared. Of course, that was too late to save travelers on I-4, and a person was killed. When I drove over there that morning, it was completely clear until I hit exit 25. Freaky.

Also, we got a very very good dose of rain all across the state on Friday, which helped out the fires a great deal. Keep doing those rain dances! :)

Dar :bounce:

Oh my God! I know what it was like the morning we awoke to fog/smoke a few weeks ago at WDW. Your pictures look worse. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. Now I may stay at an Epcot Resort, I like to walk. I hope the smoke is better by the MK pin event.
Karen(akacruela)

I know all about that I-4 mess. We left our hotel in Alamonte at 10am and got to Kissimmee at 2:30pm!!! It was a nightmare. That is why I missed out on the Memorial Day pin. What a bummer!!!

These pictures made me wonder. When it is that smoky, does it make the Dolphin smell like smoked fish?

Jeff

WOW!!

If the view was that bad - the smell must have been horrible. I feel bad for anyone with respitory trouble.

I know people said it rained lets hope FL gets another good dose - so they can all take a breather from the smoke.

but the weather people in orlando were reminding people that while there was a fire down the road, most of what we saw on sunday morning was fog. the smoke then got caught up in the fog, making it so much harder to see and for it to clear out.

i am an asthmatic, as is my son....we were out in the smoke fog on sunday (getting our memorial day pins) and had no problem breathing. perhaps a more severe asthmatic would have had a problem, but the smoke itself just wasn't that thick. and by 11 or so, it was all but gone. the memorial day pins were still out at pin central in epcot at noon.

btw, i have a couple left for traders, if anyone is interested.

This is a message for Jeff ~ No, Jeff. They just smell the usual way - through their nose! Gigi
:smooth:

I was in the World the weekend before Memorial Day Weekend and the smoke was pretty bad then too. One night, when returing to my hotel...All Star Music, at 2am cars in the parking lot were covered in ash. It was like Christmas in May, looked like snow on the cars.

Sue

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter