• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So with respect to splurging, where do you draw the line?

Masonmj84

DIS Veteran
Splurges we go for:

Staying on property, particularly deluxe resorts for the location advantage (we do split stays to maximize this), although we like the moderate resorts too

Table service dining, including signature restaurants and character breakfasts (we don't do character lunches or dinners)

Long stays (10 days or more) that include visiting the water parks

Flying in, as opposed to driving (although I don't know if anyone would really classify flying coach on a domestic airline as "splurging")

Splurges we skip:

Dessert or tea parties

Merchandise (rather spend money on experiences as opposed to things)

Club level (we're teatotallers who like hearty breakfasts)

Spa treatments

Dress-up type experiences (BBB, Pirates League, etc.)

Guided tours

Well our budget isn't super high, my husband is the sole income earner and I stay home and homeschool four of our five kids, one is off at college now. So my splurges might not be someone else's splurges.

Our splurges:

Staying onsite, we've only ever stay in our trailer at Fort Wilderness but for our upcoming trip my daughter and I will be at CBR. A moderate was a huge splurge but my husband felt we would be more comfortable there.

Disney food. We could pack food or head back to Fort Wildness for meals but part of the vacation is meals. Next trip we will be doing the dining plan because I did the calculations and my teens will eat everything and we will get our monies worth.

Hoppers. We like the ability to be flexible.

The Christmas party this year, we've never been during party season and I'm looking forward to it.

Memory Maker, I love the pictures and not having to worry about ride photos, it's the one place my kids totally love family photos.

What we skip: (and mostly because I'm cheap and don't see the value in them for us)

Your entire list. Although we do get a souvenir each and spend about $50 or less. We don't buy clothing at Disney because we can get less expensive stuff elsewhere and we only wear the clothing at Disney.

We also skip signature restaurants and limit our TS to one meal per trip, except for this upcoming trip. Taking 7 people out to eat is expensive, so just eating QS is a huge treat for my kids. Plus we always make sure they get at least one snack a day. We just can't justify the cost of signature restaurants, I'm sure I'll feel different when the kids are older.

Last edited:
Victoria & Albert's is where we draw the line. Expensive dining is one thing, spending an amount at one meal that equals close to a full month's worth of groceries?
I'm out.

Splurges we go for:

Staying on property

Two table service meals

Tours

Tea at the Grand Floridian

One larger ticket item to take home the magic with us!

Rental car

Splurges we skip:

Fireworks/dessert parties

Signature restaurants

Dining plan

Park hoppers

Memory maker

Splurges:
Staying Deluxe
Not worrying too much about cost when we see something we want
Dining Plan
Large bar bills

Won't splurge:
Anything other than "standard view" at the resort
Desert Party
Signature dining

Splurge we go for:

Staying on site, at a Value (still more expensive than staying off site).

Two or three table service meals in a week long trip.

One tour or experience or party, per trip.

One or two dinner packages, such as Fantastic or the Candlelight Processional.

A new outfit for my Duffy bear.

Christmas and birthday presents for family.

Annual passes.

Splurge we skip:

Renting a car.

Buying breakfast (we pack instant porridge and eat in our rooms, faster and healthier).

In room celebrations.

Club level, obviously.

Spa.

Watercraft rentals.

Preferred rooms.

Dining plan.

Memory maker.

Splurges
Staying onsite (although that's impossible for us as a family of 6 unless we're traveling with my parents who can have two kids in their room)
Park Hoppers
Extra Money for Snacks
Christmas Ornaments

Skip
Most character meals, dinner shows and signature restaurants
Dessert parties and other "special experiences"
MNSSHP or MVMCP
Spa and golf

Splurges:
Staying onsite - might count as a skip since i do value or mod, but still more than offsite
Memory Maker
One TS per day, many are character meals
Souvenirs - not a ton, but more than we do any other vacation
Flying vs drive

Skip
Parties
Park hoppers
Tours
Deluxe resorts

Well I haven't stayed club level or gone to a spa there but I'm not interested in either. I do want to take a fireworks cruise but have never booked it once I see the price I can't justify it.

I'm not interested in watercraft rentals either.

Splurges I go for are party tickets, signature restaurants, souveniers, tours, annual pass when I can - park hoppers if I don't have an AP. I've also done character meals and booked things like the Premium Package for F&W festival and candlelight processional package.

There is a trade off of time, age and value. We have cut down on Disney table service dinners. Price is not a big driver. Time is a major component. We have adzed days for Universal. At Disney we prioritize our time in the parks. At Universal, we can hit the arks for the day and still be able to hit a high value restaurat at night. We then hit the beach where the meals cost even more.

splurges:
moderate hotel on site
dining plan - i have zero interest in starving on vacation and my husband tends to freak at prices. pre paying is the only way to ensure we eat.
long trips - we're west coasters so it's a schlep and a half for us.
not being overly concerned about how much we spend on souvenirs
we occasionally have done water parks and more, time and weather permitting

we don't do parties, tours, hoppers, deluxe hotels, car rentals, breakfasts(we bring food), lots of adult drinks, BBB, pirates, or any other extras. once we arrive, aside from tips, merchandise, and some milk for morning coffee, we spend nothing extra.

Splurges
pre park opening ADRs at CP and TH
rental car

Splurges we don't do
Dessert parties
Dining Plans (even when they're "free")
Signature Restaurants
Club level
Park hoppers now that FP+ is here
Tours
Preferred rooms
Deluxe resorts

Splurges we go for:
  • Park tickets for only one or two days at Disney -- price per day is quite high
  • Parks other than Disney -- we usually do one or two days at SeaWorld too
  • One table service meal per trip -- last time I did Café Tu Tu Tango offsite instead of a Disney table service for my one splurge meal -- great place. (I treat the entire extended family -- usually a group of 10 or more so it costs me a bit)
  • We always fly (usually free though with frequent flyer miles)
  • Rental car for transportation whenever we want wherever we want
  • Tennis court rental for resort days -- usually two per trip for us -- normally our condo resort has free tennis, but it not we rent a court at the Grand Floridian
  • Rental of the little power speed boats usually from the Polynesian
  • One Mickey Bar every trip
  • A beach day in Clearwater (day trip)
  • frequent trips (39 since 1971) -- almost one trip or mini trip annually
  • Other vacations -- Disney is never ever our only vacation trip or our main vacation trip -- it's usually a budget add on trip on the cheap

Splurges we skip:

• Staying onsite -- too hard for me to do with such great deals on offsite condos (If it's a freebie stay because of a Conference at the Contemporary hotel that's another story - four of those freebie stays to date for me --each for four nights)
  • Dessert or tea parties
  • Waterparks -- Everyone has just as much fun at the swimming pool
  • Shopping -- Never go to downtown Disney or any other shopping area
  • Universal in general -- of course I did do one day one trip to see the cool HP stuff, but once is good.
  • Blue Man Group -- did this once in Orlando -- did this once in Vegas too
  • La Nouba -- did this once as DH likes Cirque (I'm not a Cirque fan, though)
  • Fatasmic Package -- did this one and only one time
  • MK parties -- did this once MVMCP -- too crowded
  • Hoop de Doo and Polynesian Luau -- OK - I admit I have done these before too, but wouldn't again
  • Merchandise (DS who is 20 and has his own money, though, does sometimes get things -- last trip he got a Mickey IPhone case -- very cute, and he is a photographer and bought a Mickey camera strap)
  • Spa treatments (I even give away spa gift certificates people have given me as gifts)
  • Dress-up type experiences (BBB, Pirates League, etc.)
  • Guided tours -- They look wonderful, but the price keeps me from booking / (just can't spend the money and book)
  • We often bring our own food into the park (Disney as they allow it -- sandwiches, fruit, cheese cracker snacks, and some juice boxes)
  • We always have a kitchen -- do all breakfasts in, two lunches in, and two dinners in on most week long trips with six days
  • Hoopers
  • Our own condo -- We bunk up with extended family -- usually eight or ten per unit -- lots of fun
  • Alcoholic drinks
  • Anything outside of water at restaurants
  • Discovery Cove
  • Mini Golf

Last edited:
I thought the Wishes dessert party was a decently priced "splurge" at the $25 or so we paid a few years ago. Disney doubling the price instantly removed it from my list. We stayed club level one time because I believe we had a really good discount but certainly will not do that at a regular price. The splurge from moderate resorts to deluxe resorts is worth doing in my opinion for certain resorts, like Yacht Club, but wouldn't do it for others, like Boardwalk or Grand Floridian, for various reasons.

Acceptable splurges:

-Meals at deluxe restaurants (ones where we feel the food and service is worth the money)
-Staying on the Club Level (we eat a light breakfast, so this is perfect for us, and we like being able to grab snacks, a few drinks, small dessert plates, etc)
-Universal annual passes (I don't know if this counts because it's not Disney, but we adore Universal and sometimes it's nice to escape the crazy planning of Disney to go somewhere less stressful!)
-Bottled water (I know you can get free water at QSR locations, but I hate Florida water and I would rather pay for bottled water!)

Unacceptable splurges:

-Dining plan (even when 'free')
-Events where I feel like Disney is squeezing the money out of you for something stupid (the Osbourne Lights dessert party, the Hallowishes dessert party, etc)
-Character dining (there are exceptions that we do like, but for most the food just isn't worth the cost, and my 2-year old would rather eat than stop and have his picture taken!)

Having only been to Disney two times, with a 3rd trip next month. I guess our splurges are staying on property and Disney dining. Each trip we do one splurge. First trip was CRT for my niece. 2nd trip we upped to a moderate resort. This trip our splurge is the MNSSHP. I am also going to get memory make this time and possibly get something delivered to the room for my niece.

Food is my big splurge. I love afternoon tea at the GF, signature restaurants (I don't do V&A but it's because of the dress code, not the price), snacks around the parks, the Food & Wine booths, and HDDR. I like dessert party type things as well, but rarely attend them, because my schedule doesn't allow me to book super-far in advance.

Before I was local and a CM, I always used to get park hoppers (at least when I didn't have an AP), and I always got Memory Maker/Photopass+.

I skip most other things people consider 'splurges' including mod/deluxe resorts (I always stayed value when I used to travel here), guided tours, alcohol, shopping. Never rented a car for a Disney trip either.

Oh, and I have APs for Universal, Sea World/Aquatica/Busch Gardens, and the Kennedy Space Center. I spend all my days off going out do 'do stuff.' :) Not Disney, but they're my personal splurges.

Splurges we go for:

Staying on property, particularly deluxe resorts for the location advantage (we do split stays to maximize this), although we like the moderate resorts too

Table service dining, including signature restaurants and character breakfasts (we don't do character lunches or dinners)

Long stays (10 days or more) that include visiting the water parks

Flying in, as opposed to driving (although I don't know if anyone would really classify flying coach on a domestic airline as "splurging")

Splurges we skip:

Dessert or tea parties

Merchandise (rather spend money on experiences as opposed to things)

Club level (we're teatotallers who like hearty breakfasts)

Spa treatments

Dress-up type experiences (BBB, Pirates League, etc.)

Guided tours

I guess I don't find it as absolute. From one trip to another a splurge may have to be a skip, depending on how much money I had to spend. When I had trips where two of us were dividing the trip cost equally, I was able to afford a Deluxe. In my 2013, even though I was paying for the whole trip for the two of us, I got great airfare and was able to stay at a moderate. Last year, and this year, I have to do a value, even though I'm basically spending the same amount, and I did not get free dining. I also always just book a standard view.

By your definitions of what is splurging, then I would have quite a few splurges.
I guess if it's a splurge to stay on property, then that is one splurge that I would always want to do. I don't want to rent a car, and would rather use WDW transportation.

I fly, because I live in PA, and I would rather stick an ice pick in my eye, than drive from PA to Florida. I fly coach. I physically could never drive that long, and even if someone else drove, that long in a car, would be complete torture for me. Not that I enjoy flying, and having to take two planes to get there, but it's better than driving.

I need to do at least one Table Service meal per day, due to diet requirements. I have dysphagia and need soft foods, and have some allergies, and so TS allows them to hopefully try and cook something for me that I can actually swallow and eat. Where quick service meals, you don't really have a choice, the food is what it is, and I simply cannot swallow things like burgers or sandwiches, really. So, TS would always be a "splurge" for me. Just so happens that I've had the best luck with actually being able to eat (breakfast) at Crystal Palace and Tusker House, and they are character meals, so I will always "splurge" and try and get those ADRs.

We do have an ADR for Afternoon Tea at the GF.

I buy some sort of souvenir for myself. I always buy at least a hoodie.

Last year, we did MNSSHP, for the first time. I LOVE Halloween, it's my favorite holiday. This year, we are going in November, since it's always been my dream to see MK decorated for Xmas. This year, I didn't get park hoppers. And got tickets for MVMCP instead.

My line, is to stay within the confines of my budget for the trip. If I had more money, I would be doing more splurging. Lol. If I had money, I would be doing club level, a spa day, and a guided tour. :D

Last edited:
Fun thread!

What We Splurge On
Staying onsite - justify it by saving transportation time
Flying instead of driving - same as above, time is money
A Christmas ornament every trip
One "special experience" each trip - one year it was A Pirate's League, another trip was Wishes Dessert party, next trip will be Osborne Lights Dessert party
A few table service meals
Memory Maker

What We Skip - and don't miss
Souvenirs (except for above mentioned ornament)
Spa treatments
Park Hoppers
Club level at Disney (not at the resort enough to justify the cost)
Tours
Alcohol
Dinner shows and MK parties
CS or TS Breakfast (we do fruit and cereal in the room)

Where I Draw the Line (but wish we could splurge on)

A room with a view
Club level (on a trip other than Disney)
More nice restaurants (don't mind paying for quality, but hate overpaying for a mediocre meal)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter