So, what's the strangest/silliest thing TSA has taken from you?

Actually, tools are not allowed in a carry on and this includes small screwdrivers like was mentioned.
For someone who says they check TSA's website (well the app) you should probably check again:

upload_2019-5-3_11-39-17.png

Now the poster you quoted their original comment was from September 2013 I cannot speak towards what the website read back then but the above information is accurate for some time though.

I can also attest to flying with small eyeglass repair kits for quite a while now in my carryon

The only thing I've had taken was a month after 9/11 when I flew and I had a manicure kit. The tiny scissors was the culprit and I was given the choice of throwing it away (just the scissors) or putting it in my checked bag. Since my checked bag was no longer anywhere near me I opted to throw them away. Back then things were a bit hectic.

I know my husband has had his backpack gone through because something set off the x-ray. That something was a stack of his business cards as he was flying on business. There were just a wee bit too much and it set off the density alarms. They did let him keep the business cards after they saw what it was. I think there was another time where he forgot about a pop he had in his backpack and they had him throw that away though I wouldn't consider that silly it's probably more common.

For someone who says they check TSA's website (well the app) you should probably check again:

View attachment 398747

Now the poster you quoted their original comment was from September 2013 I cannot speak towards what the website read back then but the above information is accurate for some time though.

I can also attest to flying with small eyeglass repair kits for quite a while now in my carryon
When I went in January, both were prohibited, it was quite clear on the matter.

There were just a wee bit too much and it set off the density alarms. They did let him keep the business cards after they saw what it was.
Now I did do this with a large stack of post it notes that were part of an FE gift we received and a friend of ours set it off with Oat Cakes. Of course this was when we were running late for our flight and ran a real risk of missing it, except as luck would have it our flight was delayed just enough to allow us to make it and when i say just enough, I mean boarding began about 3 minutes after we arrived at our gate.

When I went in January, both were prohibited, it was quite clear on the matter.
Their website says they are ok. I flew in March zero issues. My husband flies every 2 weeks at the moment and has had zero issues with his he uses for his reading glasses. Couldn't tell you what your issue was but for TSA as a whole they are quite clear on screwdrivers (which includes the eyeglass repair kit the original poster for the screwdriver topic was talking about).

Their website says they are ok. I flew in March zero issues. My husband flies every 2 weeks at the moment and has had zero issues with his he uses for his reading glasses. Couldn't tell you what your issue was but for TSA as a whole they are quite clear on screwdrivers (which includes the eyeglass repair kit the original poster for the screwdriver topic was talking about).
In Jan, the MyTSA App said no tools, including screwdrivers of any size were allowed in Carry Ons.

In Jan, the MyTSA App said no tools, including screwdrivers of any size were allowed in Carry Ons.
I'm not sure what to tell you. The app matches the website.

upload_2019-5-3_12-17-14.png upload_2019-5-3_12-17-45.png

It could have been misreading what it says or a random glitch but I don't think they've changed the ruling on that for quite some time I could be wrong though for sure. At the very least the screwdrivers in the eyeglass repair kits should have been fine for quite a long time (which is the actual topic).

My daughter got pulled aside and her bag was re-scanned. They said they had to search it, and they zeroed in on an outer pocket. It ended up being one of those huge erasers. Why she needed to bring a super big eraser is beyond me.

my rolls of pennies and quarters for the pressed penny machines always seem to set the TSA agents into a tizzy.

my rolls of pennies and quarters for the pressed penny machines always seem to set the TSA agents into a tizzy.

They thanked me for pulling mine out of my bag. She said those often cause problems.
I have never had anything taken but my daughter had a can of nuts and that caused her carry on bag to be searched. The agent was very nice about it joking with her. It eased her embarrassment. I had my fully exposed knee searched once. I was wearing shorts and my entire knee could be easily seen but an agent had to use her hands to feel all around it. I wanted to ask what on earth could it be - no scars or surgeries on it or anything. No idea what caused it but on the next flight my knee didn’t cause further investigation lol

Density alarms are a thing. My son brought all his textbooks on a flight for Thanksgiving as he had finals coming up and he was stopped. They did let them through.

Powdered coffee creamer is apparently an issue in the scanners. They have to test it, I assume for drugs, and then let me keep it.

I have had a pool cue taken and was not allowed to bring it carry-on. They let me wrap it in plastic wrap and check it.

We had that issue several years ago with quarters that we had placed in a mini M&Ms tube. Won't do that again.

Another one we had years ago wasn't at TSA, but at the gate when the flight crew was having people including us open water bottles we bought after security and swabbing them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter