So what is the coolest suggestion / idea that you got from the Disboards?

drakethib

DIS Veteran
Ok we have all been told about talking garbage cans, hidden mickeys, etc, but what is the one thing that you can directly attribute to the DIS that make people go "Wow, how cool". No 2 for one deals or codes for rental cars, but something that you feel has made a lasting effect.

Here is mine.

I wanted to give me daughter something special for her first birthday that my wife knew nothing about and spent months (literally) trying to come up with something so I asked for help on the community board.

A disser recommended that I buy her a cake knife and use it to cut her birthday cake each year. Then for her wedding use the same knife on her wedding cake.

So with an online purchase from Tiffany & Co, I bought the knife and told no one.

On my daughters first birthday party with all of the friends and family there as my wife was opening my daughters birthday presents, she opened the knife from Tiffany's (at first she was in shock and almost had heart failure that I bought something from Tiffany's) I explained the how the knife was to be used from this point on.

I got more kudo's for that then anything I think I ever done.

BTW, it is now a tradition that my little one gets a little something from Tiffanys on Christmas. So far she has gotten a baby rattle, a bubble blower, and a yo yo.

Dads can be cool too. ;)

A very cool dad indeed - she is very lucky :goodvibes

That will be something she remembers for the rest of her life
:thumbsup2

Kudos

Mine's from the Podcast (technically) rather than the boards. After Corey (Horey) and Julie did the EPCOT Segway tour and gave it a thumbs up, I scheduled this for my girlfriend and me. The months that followed were poetic in that we saw several Segways in other places; she would excitedly say "Oooh...that looks so fun!" each time. To preserve the upcoming surprise, I would reply, in my best Scrooge "Humbug" tone, "Aw, you'd break your neck" to throw her off. It worked. When we walked into EPCOT and checked in for our Segway tour, she was totally nonplussed. I had rarely seen her beam so much before that and she still mentions how special it was. :love: Thanks, DIS! Thanks, Mr. and Mrs. Martin!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Actually, the coolest idea I've gotten is one I haven't done yet, and it's also from Corey and Julie.

One day, I WILL ride the SkyCoaster!

Hmm lots of things. But one I wouldn't of came up with, was to make my own tee shirts. I got into it and made a weeks worth of mother/daughter tee's and we both wore them. I came up with some real cute designs! I made them for the MVMCP and got lots of compliments. We have many pics but I know my DD will always remember how we wore those tees together! Thanks DIS!

To book the podcast cruise..... :cool1:

No for real now (however the cruise is real...).
To drive around property and look for Walt's house.......
We didn't do it yet but are going to do it next may.

The 2 that come to mind are:

!- A surprise trip. I had never thought to do this, but reading about other DISers surprising their loved ones made me go for it. DD and I are going on a "girls only" Mother's Day weekend trip, and she has no idea! It's hard not to tell, but I know the look on her face when she figures it out (in the car, on the way) will be worth it!

2- Riding in the front of the Monorail. DD and I got to do this in January 2007. I didn't know anyone could do this, and found out about it on the DIS. DD loved it, and we felt like royalty, riding around Epcot with the wonderful view from the front of the Monorail.

We surprised DD with her first Disney trip. I read about the idea to have Tinkerbell visit her the night before. Tinkerbell left her a card and a beach towel and some sunglasses, all covered in Pixie Dust for her first trip on an airplane. That was the only thing that got her out of bed that early in the morning!

And the fireworks cruise - I had no idea about those before - so worth it.

(must stop now - that's already 2)

A disser recommended that I buy her a cake knife and use it to cut her birthday cake each year. Then for her wedding use the same knife on her wedding cake.
I love this idea! I just wish I had known about it 2 years ago :guilty: - what a great gift idea though!!!

I have gotten so much information from these boards!
I would say it's a toss up between MNSSHP and renting DVC points.
We got to stay at the Wilderness Lodge Villas at a reasonable rate which was a great money saver. We had never stayed onsite before and were able to purchase the dining plan. It definitely made the trip that much better.

But I would have to go with the Halloween Party. Three years ago when I found the Dis and started planning our first family trip to WDW I had never heard of these extra parties that were thrown at the MK. But I was on a mission to impress my extremely hard to impress husband on this trip and he loves Halloween. So in Oct 2006 we dressed as the Incredibles and headed off to MK. We had the absolute best time. We still look at pictures and talk about all of the candy we scored and the great parade, etc. etc.

I love all of the information that I glean from this site. It just makes our vacations so much better!

One of my favorite tips was about the comfy blue deck chairs on deck 4 on the Disney cruise ships. That's one of the best ways to spend time on a sea day!

After hearing about Julie's and Corey's experience at Dolphin Discovery at Sea World, I really want to do that, but it's not something DH would enjoy, so I haven't figured out how to work that in yet.

My favorite tip - so far - from the Podcast is the Orlando Ale House. Good food and good prices.

Kathy

We have had Dise help with T-Shirts and the whole family has them you get a lot of CM who ask about them :thumbsup2 .

As for best thing we had a meet at Jellyrolls and it was a blast.:drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1 B E E R!!! The Dis friend are cool people..

Also had a family meet and did a tour at DL lovely family. Hope to meet more Diser.

I have to post this. Only you guys will understand.

I just had a co-worker walk in my office and asked if I knew anything about WDW. There is a rumor in the hallways that I know, "stuff" about Disney. After I stopped choking on my coffee, he proceedes to ask a number of questions. Here are the top three..

Can they eat at the castle place? His daughter heard they can and really wants to eat there.

There are suppose to be all these worlds there. Where? :confused3

His wife insisted they go for a full week. After they do the Magic Kingdom what are they suppose to do for the rest of the week?:eek: :eek:

I did ask when they were going. Easter Week :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: . Well so much for a CRT ressie. They are staying onsite but, he had no idea where.

Needless to say, I've pointed him here along with Disney's web site. If you see some who registers as Clueless Chemist, he belongs to me. I'll be running home at lunch and picking up my WDW 101 Kit. Yea, I have one, park maps, some other guides Disney gives when you check in and my 2008 Unofficial Guide.

I need to have knower of all things Disney added to my business cards. Think my boss would go for it?

Kathy,
Tell them to try for a lunch at CRT. We know how unlikely it is, but you never know.

Kathy,
Tell them to try for a lunch at CRT. We know how unlikely it is, but you never know.

I gave him the Disney Dine number and told him to call as soon as he got back to his desk. I did make the suggestion to try for lunch.

Great minds think alike Mindy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter