So what are your favorite places to eat on your way to the Fort?

I like Cracker barrel a LOT :thumbsup2

Most of the time on the road we will eat food that we prepared before the trip, sloppy joes, ham spread, chicken breast etc. We have a very large manifold menu that inlcuded pizza rolls, ravioli, burrito's, hot dogs and hamburgers.

We travel down I 77 and usually spend the first night around Statesville NC. There is a seafood restaurant called the Galley close to the interstate with a parking lot BIG enough for us to get into. Mmmmm I just love getting something deep fried---shrimp, claim strips, pollock or whatever the days special is accompanied by hushpuppies and a bottomless glass of SWEET TEA. Coming from the north its one of the things I look forward to while traveling south. Just wish restaurants at Disney offered it.:confused3

Is there anything in Statesville that's not deep fried? I asked for broiled fish at the Blue Bay Seafood Restaurant one time and they looked at me like I had a 3rd eye! After tasting it I realized why......

Anyway, we are of the "let's get to WDW ASAP" school of thought. I pack snacks and drinks and we try to power through as best we can, stopping at some of those fine dining gas stations that Rog mentioned. When we're road trippin' its not about the palette, but the fuel to get us where we're going!:drive:

SWEET TEA ..... Coming from the north its one of the things I look forward to while traveling south. Just wish restaurants at Disney offered it.

Trail's End has sweet tea. It's not the best at breakfast (tasted like it was leftover from night before :confused3 ) but better at lunch & dinner, I think. And I thought 1 other place on property had it, but can't remember where.

There's a place in Beckley, WV called Tamarack that my wife likes because it has a lot of craft junk in it. It's where US-15 and I-77 merge. Food is just OK. Cracker Barrel is always a good choice too.
Actually its where us-19 and I-77 meet. I like looking around there, but never eat, there is an Outback about 500 yds away. I don't care if I have to block the whole lot in, I will make my rig fit at outback!!!!!

As far as the crackhead barrel... uh I mean cracker barrel, I like the store, not the restaraunt. Bland old people food to me, JMHO

Actually its where us-19 and I-77 meet. I like looking around there, but never eat, there is an Outback about 500 yds away. I don't care if I have to block the whole lot in, I will make my rig fit at outback!!!!!

As far as the crackhead barrel... uh I mean cracker barrel, I like the store, not the restaraunt. Bland old people food to me, JMHO

Hmmm, DH takes one of the DDs to Beckley every weekend in winter to ski. Never ate anywhere but the McDs. Guess I should remedy that.

it has to be fast.. there is no un-necessary stopping on the way down. time is very valuable :hourglass

the need for sunshine :beach: and mouse ears is so high on the drive we grab fast food or packed food.

Us3---- we talk about those tuxedo strawberries all the time :goodvibes

Our favourites are Olive Garden (they closed almost all of them in Ontario) and for a quick fix we go to Chik Fil A. We also like to eat at Applebees in Valdosta at exit 18. But primarily we just take our electric cooler and stuff with us and make our own meals while we are driving down. We have specific rest areas we stop at and make breakfast and lunch for everyone.

Cracker Barrel is a traditional breakfast stop for us. After they opened one in Allentown, wheneve we took the kids there they said it felt like we were going on vacation. We always stop at the Cracker Barrel in Palm Coast on the way down. Most of the campers we know also like Cracker Barrel for breakfast.

I used to also have to do breakfast at Waffle House every trip. Now they have expanded North and we have one within scooter riding distance for me here at home. I go there a lot so it's not really special anymore, and most of the WH parking lots are not RV friendly.

I met my wife there.....:rotfl2: :cool1: :lmao:

I think my DH mentioned meeting your wife there too.... along with Rog, FtWGuy, Ntsammy5 & LarryJ!!:eek:

Oh yeah.... my favorite place to eat on my way to FtW??? My house!!! (Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!)

You actually stop when towing, etc. to eat breakfast or other meals enroute :confused3 . We did get KFC on the way to checking in at the Savannah KOA on our trip back, but generally we always eat our meals in the trailer. We do however always try and stop early 2 to 3 PM so time is not an issue for the evening meal. What we do is to have a couple of pounds of bacon cooked and frozen along with some sausage patties and biscuits (for sausage biscuits) and try and take some Dunkin Ds starting out, an do make at times egg McMuffins for B'fast and I usually eat mine before leaving and the DW takes hers and eats in the Van, and the wife makes up a styrofoam container with the goodies and we have breakfast in the Van after we leave in the A.M.

I don't eat lunch unless it's jerky and cheese crackers, but for her there is cheese, crackers, pickles or Kippers and crackers or beannie weannie, etc. for lunches and they are fixed during a rest area stop and again eaten on the road in the Van. One lunch we even had fresh veggies ... celery, carrots, radishes, red/green peppers and dressing for lunch with chips/cheetos for desert. Then there are alway the standby sandwiches including tuna salad or chicken salad. Not this trip, but she has even made soup for lunch during a rest area stop, but that can get messy since you have to hold on to it so it doesn't spill or slop around.

Larry

Pete's poor wife, man......................she's OBVIOUSLY a wonderful woman for dealing with Pete an a daily basis, I have to think shes comparable to my wife for putting up with me.......and look at what he's gone and done to her...made a joke that has drug her good name right into the mud with him!!! MRS GATORDAD......"I" KNOW YOU WEREN'T A WAITRESS AT THE RISQUE CAFE!!!......Mrs Gatordads name is probably Bruce and he was a busboy!!!!

Us3---- we talk about those tuxedo strawberries all the time :goodvibes
4Mickey2- I LOVE those choc strawberries!! Dh had the strawberries and champagne waiting for us in the room when we arrived! Oh, and milk and choc dipped mickey rice krispies for the kids! :thumbsup2

Geez, fast food for us since its only a 7.5 trip now! We stop at What-a-burger somewhere in Florida off of 75. We had these in Dallas, but NONE here in the Atlanta area! So, a quick stop and we're back on the road!:)

I moved from Gainesville, GA about year ago. I missed Whataburger while living up there. It was one the first places we ate when we came down this way to visit relatives. We now live near 3 Whataburgers. BTW, I used to work in Cumming on the 2nd Floor of the BB&T Bank on Colony Park Dr.

When we come down to the Fort we are in our motorhome and don't stop to eat along the way. I usually make a sandwhich while he is getting gas and we are off again. Sometimes cold pizza. Yummy.

When we drive down to go on a cruise we stop at Cracker Barrell. I love eating there and love there little store. First time we took the motorhome I was having Cracker Barrell withdrawl.

Last year we stopped at an "out of the way" place called Slaughters, KY, in Northwest KY. Now I apologize to anyone that may happen to live there but the food was actually pretty good and you could eat with the change in your pocket...but I swear I heard a banjo playing....... and I sure don't want to know what the meat was. It happened to be the local supermarket too and they had one each of several items on the shelves. The decor was fascinating too, my daughter was taking pictures of everything in the place with her mouth agape. It's easy to find. It's the only place in town. Friendly bunch too! We were just happy to be back on the road once we ate.

Anyway, we are of the "let's get to WDW ASAP" school of thought. I pack snacks and drinks and we try to power through as best we can,

it has to be fast.. there is no un-necessary stopping on the way down. time is very valuable :hourglass

This is how we are too. I'm one of those parents from your childhood nightmares that has breakfast passed out a half hour before the first bathroom/gas stop because that is going to be the ONLY stop of the morning. I'm a mean old drill SGT (SGT Otch, B.) but it's all good because there's Disney music playing in the background. So, breakfast is usually Mickey pancakes, fruit, yogurt & juice. Lunch is sub sandwiches, etc. at the Florida welcome center. I think they put something in that OJ sample that makes you want to keep coming back. Going home is completely different, we drag our feet, usually have breakfast at whichever hotel we stay in after we checked out of FW, and we usually try to stop at Cracker Barrel for lunch. We don't want to go home.

Trail's End has sweet tea.

:ssst: You can get it in your refillable mug, just ask at the counter. :ssst:

Cracker Barrel is a traditional breakfast stop for us. After they opened one in Allentown, wheneve we took the kids there they said it felt like we were going on vacation. We always stop at the Cracker Barrel in Palm Coast on the way down. Most of the campers we know also like Cracker Barrel for breakfast.

I used to also have to do breakfast at Waffle House every trip. Now they have expanded North and we have one within scooter riding distance for me here at home. I go there a lot so it's not really special anymore, and most of the WH parking lots are not RV friendly.

Please bring down some dogs from Toby's cup your next trip, with a thick vanilla

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter