So We Found a Dog on the Side of the Road **Pics Added**

maciec

AHHHH....Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?
So we are driving home tonight on some back country roads (for those of you familiar with Sussex Co. Delaware we were in the Swamp on Rt.54) and I see a dog on the side of the road - just standing there. I tell dh and he says go back. We find this dog and he is just a wreck. It took dh a good 40-35 minutes it seemed to get this dog to trust him enough to get close. Once dh got close enough the dog just became completely submissive and rolled over on his back. OMG! After about 15 minutes more dh gets to the point where he's got the dog by the collar and leading him to the van. Poor thing was so scared, dh picked him up and put him in the van.

We get this poor baby home and give him some food and water and he is just the happiest thing now! I'm calling him Pete for the time being because of Stinky Pete and that he does. We think he's been out in the swamp for about a week maybe two. He's in our garage now away from the girls (our 2 Samoyeds).

Anyway, we have no idea what he is. He may just be an Eastern Shore pure bred. We think he has the face of an Akita, but we aren't sure. In all of this I can't find the camera, but as soon as I do I will post a picture for help with identifying.

Thank goodness for people like you! What a wonderful thing you and your husband did by rescuing that dog.:goodvibes

aww he is so lucky you found him!! :lovestruc Can't wait to see a pic!

God bless people like you. I don't think I could have done that. I love dogs as well, but you will make someone very happy. He definitely sounds like someone's pet. I'd post pictures everywhere, even the local newspaper where you found him!

So I found the camera - it's with dh at work! So it's going to have to wait until morning. I can't wait to give him a bath! I feel so bad that he's in the garage all by himself, but there's no other alternative at this point.

Aww poor baby!! I looked at the time of the last post and thought ...well where is the pic?? Then I realized that you just posted a couple hours ago becuase I am up waaaayy past my bedtime!!!
Meanwhile all my abandoned babies are bugging me to go to sleep.

Awww good for you! I wouldn't feel too bad about the garage - if there's food and water, then it's gotta be better then where you found him!

I found a Huskey once that I was uncomfortable bringing in the house, so I had to chain him up outside. I felt horrible, but it was worth it when I found it's owner. He'd been missing for 4 months!

Good for you! Poor thing. I'm sure he's much happier in the garage than he has been in some time. I hope you find his owner, or if not I hope that you've found a new fast friend. :)

Yes, I'm sure he thinks the garage is preferable. And he knows he's being taken care of now. :)

Thank God you saved him. Last year on our way to Disney in one of the Carolinas on the side of the road(read highway) were an adult black lab, a black lab puppy and a golden all sitting "waiting" for someone. THERE was no one around. They were watching expectantly. There was no way we could stop and I had no idea what to do . I cry everytime I think of it. I was afraid if we called the police they would put them in a kill shelter. I KNOW someone just abandoned them. They did come from the land of puppy mills. If we were on our way home and we had the room I would have taken them. I HOPED someone like you would have come along. They seemed smart enough to stay out of traffic. If it had been just one dog then I would have thought he was a runaway but not three one being a puppy. My son's landlord rescues dogs(he is independnently weathy so this is his 'JOB"). We did not know him at the time or else I would have called him and asked him to find a rescue group in the area to pick them up.

Good job:thumbsup2 Please keep us updated. I've found my share of stray/lost dogs and it is very rewarding.

You should call the sussex county shelter and report that you picked up a dog. It may not necessarily have been abandoned. Someone may be looking for it. For some reason, some people dont put collars on their pets. Also, it's not uncommon some dogs can escape their collars.

Thank God you found him! I'm sure he's cozy and happy in the garage. A nice soft blanket and clean water- he's probably too exhausted to care about much else at this point. Let us know how he does.

Awww, how sweet of you!

Our youngest dog is an abandonment. This woman we know lives out in the country and she saw this guy running down her road (an odd sight way out there) and a minute or two later, this pup came frantically after, but couldn't catch up. She took the poor thing in and gave her to us. I have to admit, she's my favorite of all the dogs I've ever had. :love: That's the one in my avatar. She's a sweetie.

Bravo...well done!!! But I'm not surprised that you did it, since you are a fellow Sammy owner! Sammy people are the best! (I may be a bit biased :) )

I am pming you.

Awww good for you! I wouldn't feel too bad about the garage - if there's food and water, then it's gotta be better then where you found him!

I found a Huskey once that I was uncomfortable bringing in the house, so I had to chain him up outside. I felt horrible, but it was worth it when I found it's owner. He'd been missing for 4 months!

Omg that must have felt so wonderful!! I would lose my mind if I lost any of my animals!!

Don't worry about the garage. It's amazing what a little food, love, and a good bath will do for them. I've rescued for years... it's heartbreaking but so rewarding.
Do post something in the newspaper of the area where you found him. In Indy, "found" ads are FREE.
If you choose to introduce him to your pack, make sure he is anti-flea before the introduction, so you don't get an infestation.

I have three throw-aways.... three is the magic number in our household. They get along great.

Thanks for rescuing him, not many people would do that. That is so sweet of you and your husband, hopefully he is just lost? Keep us posted and waiting for pictures.

Of course we need pics!

I'm going to toss this idea in, just in case, although I am sure you know this already.

Please take the dog in to a vet or humane society to see if he/she is microchipped. That may help to find the owner. I'm sure many of us Disser's followed the story about a year ago or so, where a greyhound found a particular house, and the microchip is what connected them back to the correct owner. It was a great heartwarming thread, with a very happy ending!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter