So upset - Splash Mountain

craZmom

Mouseketeer
This will probably be our one and only trip to WDW, and SM is closed, and we love water rides!!

1. What are the chances it will come up early (2 weeks?)
2. What alternatives are there - other similar rides that are fun? We have 12 and 13 year old kids along with the adults.

I don't know if it will open early. Splash Mt. is closed every year I think during this time, if I remember right. If so, probably not.

It is very disappointing when a favorite is down. Kali River rapids at AK is a water ride. It is the inner tube type ride that floats down a river, like white water rafting ride. Nothing like SM but still water.

I am sure others can speculate if it will open early. I hope it does for you, but don't think this is your "only" shot.
Last March I went to DW for the first time in my life (turned 40 on that trip) and low and behold we were blessed to go back in Dec!!!

Never say never!

That is one of the drawbacks at going in January, which is a time where there aren't as many visitors, so they do take rides down for annual maintenance.

Sorry that this is a bummer for you. Splash Mountain is usually down at this time of the year for annual maintenance. Unfortunately Disney does a lot of repairs and maintenance on rides during the off-season.

Kali River Rapids in Animal Kingdom is another good water ride.

I agree with the above poster. Never say never. We didn't think we would be going back so soon but thinks worked out and we are returning again this year.

I'm afraid there's really no chance that Splash will open a full two weeks before it's scheduled re-open date. This is annual maintenance, and the Disney folks have those schedules down pretty well. They normally hit it right on schedule.

Splash Mountain isn't really a "water ride" -- I mean, it's on the water, yes, and there's the one big drop at the end, but it's not a flume or water ride like you see at Universal, Six Flags or other parks. Lots of the WDW rides are based in water -- Pirates of the Caribbean, Maelstrom, small world, Mexico, etc -- the only real water "thrill" ride is Kali River Rapids at Animal Kingdom.

:earsboy:

Islands of Adventures has several really cool water rides. Why not spend a day over there!:cool1:

Unfortunately the chances of it coming back that early are slim to none. :( Is there any way you could move your trip back into March so it would be open for you? Make sure to visit the Maelstrom - it's in Norway at Epcot.

Islands of Adventures has several really cool water rides. Why not spend a day over there!

Better off spending a day at the Magic Kingdom with Splash Mountain closed than spending a week at Islands of Adventure with everything operating at 100%. :cool1:

Not only for maintenance, but it's chilly there now too! :confused3

lol - I'm from North Dakota so chilly in Florida is shorts weather to me. Seriously - once it hits above freezing during winter or around spring time, we're going around without coats.

I feel for you, I don't to get to travel to WDW to often and when I do I hate to miss the big attractions. :confused: Why do they do this to us

Better off spending a day at the Magic Kingdom with Splash Mountain closed than spending a week at Islands of Adventure with everything operating at 100%. :cool1:
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Best post of the day!
So very true.

Not only for maintenance, but it's chilly there now too! :confused3

Not only chilly - below freezing! I can't imagine anyone wanting to risk getting wet on a ride when it is 30 or 40 degrees outside. I'm from the cold north, but that doesn't mean that I put a bathing suit on in 60 degree weather!

I agree with other posters - Splash Mtn isn't really much of a water ride. It's a great ride, because of the theming, but I wouldn't feel like I was missing out on a water ride because it was closed.

I'm visiting from Feb 3-11 and Splash is closed but I'm lucky that it was open in 2006 when I visited at the same time. That time Test Track was closed but it's open this time so I guess I'm lucky really.

I can't wait 3 weeks until I leave!!!

chances...slim to none. sorry....it is actually closed til the 28th of Feb this year instead of just january. guess they are doing a bit more this year. we were orginally scheduled to leave on the 28th and changed our dates by a few days since this is the only ride my 4 year old talks about riding!

I've been bummed since I found out about this when it was first announced. We leave the day before it comes out of rehab. I'm hoping it will open a couple days early, but definitely not holding my breath.

Are you sure this is your one and only trip? You can't go just once! The addiction hasn't even started yet...:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter