So sad for friend leaving in 2 weeks and NO adrs!

Whilst we were in WDW between 22nd August - 5th September, we managed to get reservations for Raglan Road and Teppan Edo (we cancelled two other reservations to go back there). Just keep trying, and be open to what day and when you're eating. We couldn't get Teppan Edo for any dinner, so we tried lunch and bingo! We stayed at AKL and there were people walking up for dinner (without reservations) all the time.

:thumbsup2

Our first two trips to WDW we had no clue about TS restaurants and the Dining Plan. We ate all of our meals at CS at a couple of offsite restaurants. The focus was on the attractions and not the meals.

Now that our kids our teenagers and we have been six times, the meals our more important and, yes, we plan and book well in advance.

we just decided 2 weeks ago to go to WDW this same week as op's friend. We had a hard time getting in places, butit wasn't impossible. We got late ADRs for Crystal palace and Whispering Canyon and lunch ADRs for Teppan Edo and Sci-fi. And, finally, a normal dinner time for marakesh. however, we are thinking of cancelling Marakesh because we want to try some of the Food and Wine Festival booths. We're really looking forward to that experience, so maybe that is something op's friend could look forward to as well?? Good luck to her! I know that when I've tried to change times there have been alot of Biergarten, Nine Dragons, and French place (which is supposed to have Remy there--character dining!!!)

If you are flexible ADR's are not a must...
Our first trip to WDW we did not have a clue about ADR's, but we managed to eat well and enjoy ourselves.:confused3

We ate our very first meal in WDW with the princesses at Akershus- dinner at 4 pm with 10 minutes' wait- no ADR.:cool1:
We ate at Teppan Edo, Kona Cafe, Alfredo's(now Tutto Italia)all with no ADR, and we made two ADRs after arriving- we had dinner at Le Cellier on Mother's Day- it was phenominal. :cloud9:
The other ADR was the only bad meal we ever had at WDW-at "Shutters" at CBR- the only place I ever ate a Crabcake that was disgusting...:eek:

We ate early and had no problem. I would recommend trying the online ADR system and trying for odd hours.

Good luck!

Eating the food of my ancestors at Akershus on Tuesday night!!!:woohoo:

I had good luck last year just calling repeatedly at various times to get Crystal Palace for dinner. It was only a couple weeks before the trip, and it took about 30 calls, but we finally timed it right when there was a cancellation. This is even easier now online.

I agree with everyone about there is Disney magic w/o ADRs.

I'm going in 2 weeks and have one ADR. We're a party of 2 or I'd consider 9with much deep thought, lol) of letting her have it since it is a character meal.
One was all I got. I only tried for 3 places.

That's basically all we do on any trip. I'm not one that wants to be toed to ADRs for every meal. She can and will have fun at WDW without ADRs--plus she may luck into a few between now and the end of her trip.

I think she is frustrated--hence her "stupid" comments about people planning ahead. And, if you listened to people who live and die by ADRs, then yeah, you would think the trip is ruined.
I, however, am looking forward to a yummy salad they serve at cosmic ray's and even Flame Tree BBQ, Beaches and Cream (which will be my first stop, probably) and eating in The Land near Soarin'. It isn't like she's going to enter the parks and starve to death--well, maybe at DHS since I thik their counter service is lacking greatly. But then I'd just go see George and Olga at the Writers Stop and have a muffin (or 2, lol).

We were able to change reservations while down there, just have her call. The new restaurant in Kidiani (sp?) Saana try for a lunch and request a window when you check in. The girls loved eating with animals right out the window.

Denise in MI

I just returned and noticed while at LeCellier, Mama Melrose and the Brown Derby they were not taking walk-ins. Of course the CMs were nice about it the people were rude to them, so I felt sorry for the CMs.

How sad for your friend. Of course those of us here on the boards know about planning well in advance, but MANY first timers do not. I remember when we planned our first trip. There is just so much you don't know - like that you really need to start your planning MORE than 6 months in advance. I just don't think many people plan out any of their vacations that far in advance (except wdw people). Its kinda like planning a wedding. If you have never been involved in that before, you are shocked when you start calling reception halls and find that they've all been booked a year or more out!

"stupid people", she is calling those who pre~planned "stupid". Hmmmm, does she want to rethink her comment and possibly come up with the conclusion that she may be the "not so smart one". Whose fault is it that she booked last minute? "What is wrong with people?" Hmmmm, again, take a look in the hall mirror baby. Anyways, there is food in Disney, the counter services are not dog food.................:surfweb::banana::cool1:

That's a little much don't you think? It reads as though the op's friend is quite frustrated, and actually rightly so - it is kind ridiculous to have to plan so far in advance for mediocre theme park food. Where else in the world would you have to make reservations 3 to 6 months out to eat the buffet?

I've always thought that the Disney way does make things way too difficult on both locals and those that can't plan their vacations so far in advance - I mean, I understand as a business Disney want us (and our $$) tied up as far in advance as possible, but they've definitely turned themselves into a place that is difficult to just pop in and visit, KWIM?

I just returned and noticed while at LeCellier, Mama Melrose and the Brown Derby they were not taking walk-ins. Of course the CMs were nice about it the people were rude to them, so I felt sorry for the CMs.

I did see Le Cellier turn guests away. However, I saw Mama Melrose take people without an ADR, and they gave the guests a Fantasmic Package too! See my thread about it: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2288886
We also saw San Angel, Liberty Tree Tavern, and Sci Fi accept guests without ressies.
We were there Sept. 12-19.

Just returned and while Le Cellier is terribly overbooked and not taking walk ups (and really not worth it in my opinion), there were plenty of restaurants that were pretty empty and taking walk ups- apparently the ADR system has allowed so many to make duplicate ADR's and also has glitches that has left "booked" restaurants half empty. Noticed plenty of tables and walk ups being accepted at LTT, Mama Melrose, Tutto Italia, Flying Fish, got a walk up a Yak And Yeti as well.

I've never had any real trouble making ADRs. I've also been able to walk in and sit down at TS places at least for lunch. Also, I've called for ADRS three weeks in advance and been able to get into every place I wanted. Sometimes I think Disney fanatics forget that not having a plan can be okay too--both ways can work if you make them!

Just returned and while Le Cellier is terribly overbooked and not taking walk ups (and really not worth it in my opinion), there were plenty of restaurants that were pretty empty and taking walk ups- apparently the ADR system has allowed so many to make duplicate ADR's and also has glitches that has left "booked" restaurants half empty. Noticed plenty of tables and walk ups being accepted at LTT, Mama Melrose, Tutto Italia, Flying Fish, got a walk up a Yak And Yeti as well.

That makes sense. When I was making my ADRs I had a hard time getting a confirmation screen, so I kept going back and researching. Then, I got on here, and found out that those ADRs still could have gone through, but never sent me an e-mail.
I'm planning to call and make sure I don't have a bunch of duplicates, because its entirely possible.

I have a friend whose in-laws are taking them on a five day trip starting Halloween night. She said her FIL didn't want to be tied down to reservations, and I did a bit of research for her. For Halloween night, everything at MK was booked solid, and there was some availability at Epcot.

Thank goodness, I talked her into re-looking at their strategy and with a little nudging from her MIL, they did book Halloween night for the California Grill.

I had a friend take her family of 8 on the deluxe dining plan, and they went with no dining reservations! I tried to tell her she must make some, especially with so many sit down dinners, and 8 people! She didn't and they were not able to eat where they wanted, and when they could squeeze in, they could not all sit together. I held back on the "Told you so's", but I felt bad that she had spent so much money for a once in a lifetime trip for her kids and grandkids. They were eating dinner at 3 in the afternoon, or 9 at night! Ugh!

That makes sense. When I was making my ADRs I had a hard time getting a confirmation screen, so I kept going back and researching. Then, I got on here, and found out that those ADRs still could have gone through, but never sent me an e-mail.
I'm planning to call and make sure I don't have a bunch of duplicates, because its entirely possible.

I, too, was unable to get any kind of confirmation for my online ADRs. I'm on a Mac with an older operating system, and the Disney website just kept sort of timing out every time I'd try to book lunch at both Biergarten and The Plaza. I tried probably three or four times before I gave up and called Disney Dining.

I was assured by the CM that unless I receive an email confirmation, I do not have an ADR and, according to her screen(s), I did not have any reservations. She went ahead and booked our party.

I called back in about a month to add another to our ressies. I called back again in another two or three weeks to add Boma and Brown Derby to our itinerary.

We show up to these places, and, wouldn't you know the CM at the check in podium tells us we have four reservations for our alloted time. It only happened at those places I tried to book online initially.

Not one CM over the phone all the times I called could see I had had some kind of trouble with the online system and had basically quadruple-booked.

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but at least as of a few weeks ago, there were major problems with ADRs booked online.

FWIW, I asked the lady at the Plaza if this would have prevented three other people from booking, and she emphatically stated it would not have; that they're still working out the glitches in the system, and this is happening to a lot of people. They were actually pretty empty at the Plaza for lunch (during Free Dining, no less) and the couple in front of us was a walk-up who were seated without an ADR.

I'm sticking with the phone for my ADRs.

I understand the frustration but, don't be mad at us who have booked ADRS :hippie: thier are lots other special things she can do like book a tea party or BBB and when I could'nt get t-rex I called them directly and got the exact time I wanted. Also if they are staying in the villas maybe the concierge can help when they get there... those guys always have tricks up their sleeves. TIP WELL THOUGH. Also Harmony barber shop does'nt take appt. that is fun and first come first served. Goofys candy Co. Does'nt take ADRS either. so look on the boards here and have her get lots of good tips and we all wish her the best of luck.

That stinks about her not being able to get ADRs. Of course she can try a walk up, but I was there Sept 5-12th and I know most places we went were not accepting walk ups...Planet Hollywood, Raglan Road, Chef Mickey, Mama Melrose, Ohana, Tutto Italia...as we waited for our table at these places I saw first hand people sadly being told they were booked. I do know DH checked at Tusker House when we thought about eating there without a ressie and they could have gotten us in and I know the conceriege at the resort can help. Ide just tell your frend to keep calling or looking online. I still wouldnt even give up, once she gets there call, check in , etc. If she checks in with a place as soon as she arrives at the park, maybe she will be able to get in later that day. What dates is she going? Party size?

We show up to these places, and, wouldn't you know the CM at the check in podium tells us we have four reservations for our alloted time. It only happened at those places I tried to book online initially.

Not one CM over the phone all the times I called could see I had had some kind of trouble with the online system and had basically quadruple-booked.

Interesting...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter