So is Delta trying to mimic Southwest?

Sigh. I know how SW boards. And when you say "normal gate signage", within the last year I've gone through Cincinnati, Tampa, Las Vegas, and now LaGuardia. LaGuardia was the only one I've seen it (aside from SW), so I was asking if this was something new Delta was trying.

Sorry, totally off topic... but wanted to know how you enjoyed your NYC trip

They still have Gate Lice; now they are just slightly more organized Gate Lice. :rolleyes2

The reason passengers on legacy carriers do this is to try to get first access in their group to the overhead baggage space. The signs don't do anything to stop them from jostling for position; just to keep them from jostling people who have more status than they do.
This was my thoughts exactly. All Gate Lice are created equal, but some are more equal than others.

I don't think they are trying to mimic SWA per say, but just getting on the bandwagon with UA and AA and their ridiculous boarding group signs.

Honestly I still don't understand why boarding groups ever became a thing. There was no such thing as "gate congestion" when they used to board from the back of the plane forward, usually 5 rows at a time.

I don't think they are trying to mimic SWA per say, but just getting on the bandwagon with UA and AA and their ridiculous boarding group signs.

Honestly I still don't understand why boarding groups ever became a thing. There was no such thing as "gate congestion" when they used to board from the back of the plane forward, usually 5 rows at a time.

I think I'd like that as well. And have the flight attendants make sure that passengers take their carry-on bags all the way to the back with them.

You have people who get earlier boarding because they are elite level, have a credit card, purchase early boarding. That's when it became impractical to board by rows.

Delta definitely had this at LAX in March. And I sure I have seen it at the United gates at LAX, but I have not flown them for a few years now.

Also not seeing it as mimicking Southwest, but a way to try to have some gate organization (and try to keep gate lice back).

I don't understand what is the rush to board the plane. The less time I have to sit on the plane the better. We fly Alaska and get free bags. There is an incentive to check all of your bags as if they aren't out in 20 minutes you get 2,500 miles per bag. The minute the door opens when we pull up to the gate I start the timer on my phone. SeaTac is such a mess that I have collected 10,000 miles on a couple of occasions when our bags didn't show up by the time we got to baggage claim.

DW & I just flew through LaGuardia. First, the individual gate areas are SUPER small. But, I noticed they had signs for the four boarding groups (First Class, Sky Priority, Main 1, Main 2). I wondered if Delta is trying these out for rollout everywhere or just because the gate areas are so small. Has anyone seen these elsewhere for Delta? Were the gate areas small?View attachment 416993
Everywhere but for my home airport which is too small for such things (5 gates, only 2 of which are used by Delta)

It's not remotely like Southwest

I don't understand what is the rush to board the plane. The less time I have to sit on the plane the better. We fly Alaska and get free bags. There is an incentive to check all of your bags as if they aren't out in 20 minutes you get 2,500 miles per bag. The minute the door opens when we pull up to the gate I start the timer on my phone. SeaTac is such a mess that I have collected 10,000 miles on a couple of occasions when our bags didn't show up by the time we got to baggage claim.
I agree other than if you have a carry on bag you need to board early to get a spot for your bag. So that reason, you need to get there soon and get on the plane.

It's not remotely like Southwest
Let's see...

Southwest has signage at the gate showing people where to line up based on their boarding position.
Delta has signage at the gate showing people where to line up based on their boarding position.

Yup, you're right. They're not remotely similar.

Let's see...

Southwest has signage at the gate showing people where to line up based on their boarding position.
Delta has signage at the gate showing people where to line up based on their boarding position.

Yup, you're right. They're not remotely similar.
The major difference which makes it not remotely similar, you don't have to line up in order to receive a seat. You have one and can technically just board when you want. No need to line up at all. It's just there for those who want to use it. The only thing you have to do is go in order of boarding category. So no, not remotely similar.

The major difference which makes it not remotely similar, you don't have to line up in order to receive a seat. You have one and can technically just board when you want. No need to line up at all. It's just there for those who want to use it. The only thing you have to do is go in order of boarding category. So no, not remotely similar.
Fine. How dare I see signs posted at two different airline's gate areas and compare them? I am way off base. Feel free to ignore future questions posted by me.

Fine. How dare I see signs posted at two different airline's gate areas and compare them? I am way off base. Feel free to ignore future questions posted by me.
Sorry your getting testy because someone doesn't share your viewpoint. I'm not upset you don't share mine. It's ok to not see them the same. You asked how and I answered. It's not a huge deal to disagree with POV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter