So, I "won" a test cruise and figured I'd share the experience

LSUfan4444

DIS Veteran
So earlier this week, the wife and I entered the text cruise lottery for one of Royal's upcoming sailings. More info on that process can be found here (https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/...st-win-free-cabin-test-cruise-heres-how-enter).
  • Mariner of the Seas - August 11th (2 Nights) from Port Canaveral, FL
  • Oasis of the Seas - August 22nd (6 Nights) from Bayonne, NJ
  • Liberty of the Seas - September 18th (4 Nights) from Galveston, TX
We live in Louisiana and selfishly wanted the Liberty sailing because we love that ship and it's drivable for us and even gives us the ability to leave on embarkation day.

Well, yesterday I got an email and text at 3pm telling me we would were selected for the 2 night sailing on Mariner and we immediately jumped on it. We had right about 24 hours so confirm and register and knowing they sent out more invites than the ship could handle, we didnt want to lose the opportunity.
Ironically, Mariner was the ship we had booked last April that was cancelled during the initial lock downs and we have never been to Coco Cay we both got really excited.

unnamed.jpg

You’re officially invited to the two-night Mariner of the Seas® simulation voyage! As Royal Caribbean prepares for our operational return, this sailing will enable us to exercise our new health and safety protocols, while also ensuring an incredible vacation experience is preserved for our guests. Your participation in this event is voluntary and fully at your discretion. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention requires this written notification to advise all volunteer passengers that they are participating in health and safety protocols that are unproven and untested in the United States for purposes of simulating a cruise ship voyage and that sailing during a pandemic is an inherently risky activity. Only volunteers 18 years of age or older, who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19, are eligible to join.

Your feedback will prove invaluable. We hope you’ll join us onboard!​
E9NGZm4qp9J0tNtPCgybaXBp0dp_nHN-W6qNFuUGAyntmDJN38SdOSrGiPbcBLZP_8rLWVEL5K1fRJiPDnoTsddtbE3fLPb1YfhHFuWPa-NmT6UUFBHDL0BSqqu3S7-Ld9XswKoD=s0-d-e1-ft
r-AB24RNsQWiis1nLw5duJnCOLROfbWYNCCGcZRMU5Ab5a6HRgGYj2Jdn59xYTJB54eh6b9hq4UDEjDuHI2u-cCzN83pxs1G1EqopkyzX29hveglFCtpdqNvDfHN84GJDEYVWBhuiY9gfnQtWTBhC8qeuo07eawBHbqNFTsnFfyT98Tfc09d=s0-d-e1-ft
2-NIGHT PERFECT DAY GETAWAY
August 11 – 13, 2021• Roundtrip from Port Canaveral, FL
E9NGZm4qp9J0tNtPCgybaXBp0dp_nHN-W6qNFuUGAyntmDJN38SdOSrGiPbcBLZP_8rLWVEL5K1fRJiPDnoTsddtbE3fLPb1YfhHFuWPa-NmT6UUFBHDL0BSqqu3S7-Ld9XswKoD=s0-d-e1-ft
Please register for this event no later than Sunday, August 8, 2021 by 5:00 P.M. EDT for a chance to join us! Registration will be handled on a first-come, first-served basis and will be capacity controlled.

In order to participate, you are required to acknowledge the informed consent form that will be sent to each guest following your registration. All guests — regardless of vaccination status — will need to take a COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain or diagnostic lab, no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation.
We can’t wait to see you onboard!​

Last edited:
Airfare - found round trip airfare, direct on Southwest for right about $625 for two people which is more than we normally pay but it's short notice so we understand. Since we didnt pay for the cruise we opted to fly in on sailing day which we normally wouldn't do.

From the cancelled sailing last April I have a parking credit so we rented a car from Budget ($225) that we will pick up at MCO, park and leave at the port and return on Saturday.

Once we get off the ship on Friday, we booked a one night stay at Cabana Bay and plan to use our Universal APs for Volcano Bay and IoA Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.

As of this post, 7:34 am, we still don't know what kid of stateroom we have ands whether or not we will be treated/simulated as vaccinated or unvaccinated guests but hopefully that info comes soon and we're hoping for at least a ocean view stateroom but a suite would be great =)

Screen-Shot-2021-08-08-at-7-27-52-AM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2021-08-08-at-7-27-58-AM.jpg

Last edited:
At 11:30 (long after we went to bed for the night) our invoice and reservation ID email came through. We were assigned an Ocean View Balcony, 7556 and were able to chose our boarding time (they they are strictly enforcing from what we can tell). Since our flight lands at 9:45am, we chose the earliest boarding window (12pm-12:30) but it looks like you had the option to board until 3 or maybe 3:30 (all in 30 minute windows).

We're supposed to pull out of Port Canaveral at 5pm, at Coco Cay from 7am-5pm then back at PC for 8am and all guests are off by 10am.

Nothing looks to be available in the cruise planner for pre-purchase so not sure if everything has to be added on board or not but we will tackle that as it comes.

So for now, we're all set, checked in and now need to schedule our COVID tests at some point today and check in for our Southwest flights tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
No delays in travel to the airport, flight is on time and we should be landing at MCO by 9:45 am (local time).
5-C031-BE9-DC4-F-4745-87-F5-B53-D13-B492-B9.jpg

Boarding started at 12 and went in groups of 30 minute increments, since we had the early flight we chose the first boarding group from 12-12:30 and it was pretty clear to arrive only for your window so we figured we would just hang out in the parking garage since we got there a bit early but they had already started lining people up.

We got in the outside screening line shortly after 11 am. They asked us to make sure we had our passport/ID, proof of vaccination and neg COVID test etc we we waited here for about 20 minutes.

IMG-5041.jpg

Just before entering here they checked all of our documentation and after spending quite a considerable amount of time trying to find a free antigen test in my area, they didnt even check that. All documentation said it had to be a PCR or Antigen test but all they looked at was test result and the date. I also asked (before arriving and once in this line) if an electronic version (on my phone) would work as proof of my vaccination. Like other states, we have an app with can verify our drivers license so we don't "need" our wallet in many instances so long as we have our phone and recently, our vaccination cards have been added. Outside, that was fine...once we got inside, it wasn't.

So we enter the terminal and go through the official health screening portion, answer our questions, again show our test and vaccination record (thank goodness I brought my card as well) and we were designated as "vaccinated". Even though everyone had to be vaccinated to get on board, some were treated as unvaccinated for the purpose of the test (didnt have access to all areas, etc).

So, 11-11:25 in this line outside, 11:25-12:02 at the indoor/official health screening, then about 12:05-12:10 to check in and we were walking on board by 12:10

Staterooms were ready, keys were outside the rood and so were the cruise planners for day 1

IMG-5044.jpg
IMG-5045.jpg

IMG-5046.jpg

IMG-5047.jpg

We grabbed a bite to eat in the windjammer, made our dinner reservations for both nights and went to a totally empty pool deck

First time sailing Mariner so I don't know if the hand washing station as you walked in was new or not but I had never seen one on any ship before:

IMG-5050.jpg

IMG-5050.jpg

IMG-5048.jpg

By the time we sailed away, I would say the entire pool area had maybe 100 people

IMG-7326.jpg

IMG-5059.jpg

We took advantage of it..knocked out Sky Pad, did both water slides multiple times with no line and the wife and I had the flowrider to ourselves for probably 30 minutes.

Sailed out, waived to the Disney Fantasy and made our way to Coco Cay for a Perfect Day.

IMG-5060.jpg

500 guests approx and over 1,000 crew so with a 2/1 ratio, the promenade was ghost town all day and night. We definitely took advantage of some of the massive sales though.Found quite a few solid RC logoed items and stuff from Quicksilver for 75% off.

IMG-5056.jpg

IMG-5057.jpg

Deck 3 in the MDR was for vaccinated guests and Deck 4 was for unvaccinated and there was a huge difference...on deck 3 you would remove your mask once seated. On deck 4 you had to keep it on until you were eating. Vaccinated guests could eat on deck 4 if they wanted but only vaccinated guests would eat on deck 3 and yes...it was also a ghost town.

65042051681-5-DD34606-E255-4-F44-9-FE8-3-B92-AEA595-CB.jpg

IMG-5064.jpg

Went and had some drinks at the Bamboo Room then saw the headliner show (Elton John tribute), made it to Ellingtons for one drink while we considered staying up for the late night adult comedy but ended up turning in and getting ready for a Perfect Day

Last edited:
Woke up Thursday morning and the ship was docked at Castaway Cay on time but since there were so few people, we were in no big rush. Outside on our balcony, enjoying my coffee, I saw 5 different ships within site and could make out at least two...the Brilliance and an Oasis Class heading straight for the island.

Wait, was there another ship in port today? Did the Oasis already have their test sailing? Was it on a test sailing too?

IMG-5070.jpg

IMG-5072.jpg

I went from, we can take our time to....hurry up and get me a beach chair on chill island, LOL

As it turns out, Oasis pulled up to the dock then pulled away so it must have just been practicing some maneuvers.

Got off the boat, snapped a few pics and made out way to Chill Island and much to our surprise, the floating bar had moved there from South Beach and we saw our favorite bartender from the Bamboo Room. Funny story, that day was his first time off the Mariner since June. He was looking forward to standing on land again and gets stuck working the floating bar LOL
IMG-5074.jpg

IMG-5077.jpg

IMG-5078.jpg

IMG-5075.jpg

After a drink on the floating bar, made our way to the Oasis Lagoon for a drink, then took advantage of the Thrill Waterpark and absolutely no lines whatsoever. Did each waterslide in each tower at least twice.
G0020096.jpg

G0030099.jpg

Overall, crew morale was outstanding. Guest happiness was pretty good too.

Yes, we ran into a couple of people who had to be difficult but for the most part, everyone seemed to have a good time. Mask usage was pretty regular when required and in vaccinated areas when they could be removed, some people even kept them on.

Distancing was not really enforced and people were free to pretty much move wherever.

On day 2 we chose our preferred disembarkation time and were assigned a group close to that time..we chose 9:30 and were assigned group 14 of 16 with an anticipated time of departure of 9:15 and were were called on the TV by about 9am. Walked down, didnt even stop at customs and made our way to the car and headed over to Universal for a short stay there.

IMG-7335.jpg

C7-CD5584-A75-A-4-F2-E-B894-017488-CE483-C.jpg

IMG-7337.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to your report. Do you have a choice of stateroom?

Looking forward to your report. Do you have a choice of stateroom?

As someone who wasn't choosen for these test cruises but has been following along, it seems everyone gets a standard balcony. No suites but no inside/oceanview either.

Airfare - found round trip airfare, direct on Southwest for right about $625 for two people which is more than we normally pay but it's short notice so we understand. Since we didnt pay for the cruise we opted to fly in on sailing day which we normally wouldn't do.

From the cancelled sailing last April I have a parking credit so we rented a car from Budget ($225) that we will pick up at MCO, park and leave at the port and return on Saturday.

Once we get off the ship on Friday, we booked a one night stay at Cabana Bay and plan to use our Universal APs for Volcano Bay and IoA Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.

As of this post, 7:34 am, we still don't know what kid of stateroom we have ands whether or not we will be treated/simulated as vaccinated or unvaccinated guests but hopefully that info comes soon and we're hoping for at least a ocean view stateroom but a suite would be great =)

Screen-Shot-2021-08-08-at-7-27-52-AM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2021-08-08-at-7-27-58-AM.jpg
hang on, it was my understanding the ships could not ask for proof of vaccination or require it? I'm happy to see this requirement, believe me, but wonder how they are getting away with it?

hang on, it was my understanding the ships could not ask for proof of vaccination or require it? I'm happy to see this requirement, believe me, but wonder how they are getting away with it?
This is a test sailing, not something I purchased. I am not required to provide it but if I don't, they would give the sailing to someone else. It's different with a purchase which is what Desantis legislation was was speaking to.

"no business or government entity will be able to deny you services"

I just found the judge in the Norwegian ship case turned the vaccine passport thing around, and said, " due to the issue with everyone's public safety, proof of vaccine can be mandated. In the brief, they listed plenty of precedent. Anxious to see what others follow suit as there is a cruise I'd love to go on in FEB. but only if vaccine is required.

You are most likely on the Mariner right now. Happy sailing!

P.s. Loved the Mariner AND Cabana Bay. Great time guaranteed.

I just found the judge in the Norwegian ship case turned the vaccine passport thing around, and said, " due to the issue with everyone's public safety, proof of vaccine can be mandated. In the brief, they listed plenty of precedent. Anxious to see what others follow suit as there is a cruise I'd love to go on in FEB. but only if vaccine is required.
If you're sailing Royal, I would definitely not count on vaccinations being mandatory

I'm going to do what I can to update the thread a little at a time...thread has bene updated in post 2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter