• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So I Took A Look At The 2017 Fort Wilderness Campsite Rates...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they do allow that many but I really don't know of any campground that does personally. Having that many people to one site is not really fair to others that are camping near you either.

Every Florida State Park that I am aware of, and that is a good percentage of them, allows 8 people per site. One camper and one tent, or two tents, and two vehicles.

As far as your second statement, I'm going to consider that you may not have raised your family with proper camping etiquette, but I can assure you that I have mine. You will never hear us, we will not cut through yours, or anyone else's sites. You may never even see us because we spend very little time at our actual site. We go to bed when quiet time starts and most importantly, we turn off all our lights so we and others can enjoy the outdoors and the stars. You won't hear our grandchildren screaming, car car doors slamming, engines revving, generators running, or any other obnoxious behavior.

I'm sure there are many campers who would rather camp by 8 of us well learned campers, than 2 posers in a big rig that leave their lights on all night.

And BTW, it's not that we are too cheap to get two sites, it's that FL state parks are hard to get into and you're lucky to get one site if you don't reserve 11 months in advance.

This thread is getting argumentative. Please be nice.

Every Florida State Park that I am aware of, and that is a good percentage of them, allows 8 people per site. One camper and one tent, or two tents, and two vehicles.

As far as your second statement, I'm going to consider that you may not have raised your family with proper camping etiquette, but I can assure you that I have mine. You will never hear us, we will not cut through yours, or anyone else's sites. You may never even see us because we spend very little time at our actual site. We go to bed when quiet time starts and most importantly, we turn off all our lights so we and others can enjoy the outdoors and the stars. You won't hear our grandchildren screaming, car car doors slamming, engines revving, generators running, or any other obnoxious behavior.

I'm sure there are many campers who would rather camp by 8 of us well learned campers, than 2 posers in a big rig that leave their lights on all night.

And BTW, it's not that we are too cheap to get two sites, it's that FL state parks are hard to get into and you're lucky to get one site if you don't reserve 11 months in advance.

FortForever, respectfully, I am talking about the rules at regular campgrounds, not state parks, although the state park I go to regularly only allows 6. This past March we stayed at FW for 10 days. Over the weekend a very large group came in right next to us, and had many children and several adults, and they couldn't help but be loud. They also had a few cars there. And no it wasn't a nice experience when I paid $150 for the night. Again, regular campgrounds do NOT allow 10 people. Or at least if you have more than 2 adults and so many children, you pay more. That seems fair. That might allow Disney to give the discounts, like the one I have right now that I cannot use, that was my whole point of my post. I don't mean this disrespectfully. it's nice to know that you are or believe you are a quiet family with manners. Another thing most campgrounds do is limit the amount of cars, usually one camper and one car, etc.

Last edited:

Over the weekend a very large group came in right next to us, and had many children and several adults, and they couldn't help but be loud.

See, that's the thing - they do have a choice about being loud. In my opinion, Fort Wilderness attracts many families who have never actually camped, so don't know how to behave properly. It's kind of a set up for disaster (as far as etiquette goes.) The (rookie) families that tend to choose the Fort have too many children for a resort room. Children that are already excited to be at Disney, and likely have never been taught how to behave properly when camping. Most children associate being outside with being allowed to be loud. And non-camping parents are probably just as bad and don't even realize how annoying they are.

I know what to expect when I reserve at the Fort. Sometimes you get good neighbors, sometimes you don't.

it's nice to know that you are or believe you are a quiet family with manners.

I don't think we are a quiet family, when at our site, I know we are. I have been a camper since birth, I was raised to play at the playgrounds and other communal spaces, and be quiet and respectful of our neighbors at the site. I raised all of my kids camping and taught them the same rules. Now my grandchildren are raised the same way. They know we use our indoor voices at our site. We are well aware of how voices carry in the outdoors and will never be a family that anyone regrets camping next to.

There are many other rules of good camping that my family follows, way too many to mention here. Unfortunately, I see more and more people now buying RVs and camping - treating the campground as if it were their personal party spot, rather than a shared area. It's a shame to see so many rude people, but just having a larger number of people does not automatically make it "unfair" to their neighbors. I have only seen one large group, in the past few years, that were obnoxious. The number of horrible neighbors we've had that were a party of 4 or less are well into the double digits.

We have lived all up and down the east coast, in many states, and camped in more state parks, national parks, and private campgrounds than I can even begin to list. We don't do many private campgrounds since living in FL, as they are more "RV parkish" than I like. I have found a couple. The rules at private campgrounds vary widely, obviously.

Since we are now so far off topic this thread will be closed and Ed can re-post his thread that he did such a great job on. I also put a copy on the FW info sticky.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter