So....I need to fire my Travel Agent/Old Thread...New Update

I have nothing to add other than I am completely shocked by this agency's actions. As a former travel agent for quite a few different agencies, I can tell you that we never held on to payments. If a customer made a payment, we sent it on to the appropriate companies. We did not ever want to jeopardize our customer's reservations. Plus holding on to money that did not essentially belong to us was a bigger liability than we wanted to assume. I agree with a previous poster that possibly the agency has already spent the money and is waiting for more to come in elsewhere before than can even afford to make your final payments. Good luck getting this sorted out. And just like everyone else suggested, file complaints with the BBB and anywhere else it matters.

Maybe there is something we can all do collectively?

ivet

I guess all of us picking a day next week and requesting quotes for random cruises on their website, making a fuss if their response is a little slow and adding and subtracting things just to never actually book would be considered childish and in poor taste. :)

Funny, but probably inappropriate.

I guess all of us picking a day next week and requesting quotes for random cruises on their website, making a fuss if their response is a little slow and adding and subtracting things just to never actually book would be considered childish and in poor taste. :)

Childish and in poor taste....that seems almost appropriate. :rotfl2:

It's a very proactive way to make a point though. "The audience Gets the show they deserve". :rolleyes1 :rotfl:

Unfortunately, I don't have any good suggestions to offer you, but I do want to wish you the best of luck with this situation. Remember the power of karma! I'm sure the agent will get what he deserves in the end...

I thought that if you wished to change TA's you just needed to sign the release with the NEW TA in order to switch the ressie over.
If you need the original TA to release the reservation, however,
I would go down there - with a dozen or so people in tow - one of them with a video camera, and stand there and demand that they immediately sign and fax the release back to DCL. I would be on the phone with DCL at the very same time as this was happening. I would also have a copy of my canceled check - showing that payment had been made, received, and cleared and demand that they apply my payment to my DCL reservation immediately. I might even go to a local precinct and request that a police officer go in with me. - Just tell them that they are holding your property (your money against your will and outside their authority and you will like law enforcement support to see that it is released).
Of course, TA may just be feeling a little spiteful and say if you paid by check you'll receive your refund by check - in 30 days. The only leverage I would think you have is that the payment wasn't to them, it was to DCL (why wasn't the check written out to DCL?) But then again, who's to say he isn't feeling spiteful as it is and may just mess with your reservation if you keep it with him. That's why I would be wanting to get the ressie out of his hands. You may have to pay again while this all sorts out, but I think that's the only option you have to ensure that the trip goes through with the fewest bumps possible from here on.

I happen to really like the idea of the above poster but I also have a flair for the dramatic, sometimes you need that to get desired results.

Anyway.....a note about writing a check. We very seldom have clients pay with checks at our agency, usually with credit card. Credit cards are processed direct to Disney, they never run thru our agency at all. If a client uses a check (again, very few do use them, in 2 years I have had 2 checks) we have the client make the payment payable to the agency. We then wait 3 days for bank clearance (or we can call the bank on the spot in case we are in a deadline crunch) and we process the payment to Disney on our agency credit card. NEVER, EVER in a million years would we hold a client's payment for anything other than bank clearance.

If at all possible, I would always pay with a card and then write a check to your credit card company. This way, no one has the money except Disney which is exactly where it should be.

Tom - I am heartbroken for you. This should have been a dream trip not a travel nightmare. Best wishes!

Will you update us?

The agency does have to "release" the reservations, so getting him to do that would be difficult (as he would lose his commission). Plus once a reservation is paid in full to DCL, it can't be "released", and 1 or 2 of our 6 reservations is showing paid.

I'm holding off on responding to the TA at this point or planning any sort of retribution, because he still has access to our reservations and will be receiving our tickets.

I spoke with a Raj, the reservations supervisor, again on Friday. She said there is a senior supervisor and a manager working on my situation (I'm hoping it goes higher than that :) ). She will contact me Monday morning when she gets in to give me an update.

The agency does have to "release" the reservations, so getting him to do that would be difficult (as he would lose his commission). Plus once a reservation is paid in full to DCL, it can't be "released", and 1 or 2 of our 6 reservations is showing paid.

I'm holding off on responding to the TA at this point or planning any sort of retribution, because he still has access to our reservations and will be receiving our tickets.

I spoke with a Raj, the reservations supervisor, again on Friday. She said there is a senior supervisor and a manager working on my situation (I'm hoping it goes higher than that :) ). She will contact me Monday morning when she gets in to give me an update.

Good luck! We are all with you in spirit!!:grouphug:

:banana: GET A GRIP :scared1: Making light of a HORRIBLE situation. Do you see a date or time to make those requests. GEESH!!!! :rotfl2:

ivet

Ooooo PLEASE keep us posted, Crossing my fingers and toes for ya!!

:grouphug:

ivet :cheer2:

Childish and in poor taste....that seems almost appropriate. :rotfl2:

Very good point, as they seem to be both!

Maybe waiting until AFTER you sail, just in case they catch on to why it is happening is a good idea though. I'd hate for all of you to show up to the ship and have them say, 'Who are you, again?"

Oh, Tom, I am so sorry this has happened to you- we all hate it when bad things happen to such good people, and that's who you most certainly are- the good people!! I'll always be grateful to you for the great magnet designs you made for my family!!:thumbsup2 I think, in regards to this AWFUL situation, you are responding the best way you can- you have no choice but to stay with them at this point, and hope they will bend over backwards to try to make up for their MAJOR screw-ups! I am SOOO glad you contacted the right people at DCL, it sounds like things are in motion for the future, I have to think they will lose their AUTHORIZED status....and I would definately write to the BBB and whoever else was mentioned on this thread....but AFTER you and yours have had the time of your lives on your cruise!! Pixie dust for that!pixiedust:
All the best of luck,
Ellen
ps- I probably would have given them a second chance, too- because, like you, I always want to believe the BEST in people. Sometimes, people step up....and sometimes they just don't know how.:rolleyes:

Keeping my fingers crossed for a great update on Mon.
Mary
first DCL cruise 5/25/08:cool1:

Me too. Hope the best for you on Mon. I used to live in Fresno! :goodvibes

I couldn't believe what I'm reading here...sounds like a company needs an auditor to take a look through their records.;) You've already gotten some wonderful advice...not much I can add there. I would suggest you talk to Disney again about the possibility of having the requirements waived in order to transfer the bookings directly over to Disney...considering your situation and the fact this agency is listed as one of their preferred businesses, they'll be doing everything possible to help you work this out. It seems like a regulation that can be bent (which might just require speaking to the right person at DCL), as the TA is definitely not living up to the normallly high Disney levels of service.

I worked as a TA with the military for many years and have been impressed enough with their customer service that each of my own personal cruises have been on DCL, too. When my mother passed away toward the end of my last cruise, they were amazing...left a message asking to speak with my husband about one of our charges (in case I got the message instead) and offered to give us unlimited use of the phone, sent a fruit & cheese basket up, assigned someone to help us with everything we'd need and even arranged for us to be first off the ship, so that we could make it to her memorial service in time (our dining staff even delivered breakfast to our cabin that last morning...twice, by accident...they wanted to make sure we ate though!). I can't recommend Disney highly enough...it's just sad that your TA doesn't care about the level of service they provide the same way Disney does.

Your TA should have also tried to fill at least 2 other cabins, so they could've switched your bookings over to a group for the rate/bennies...but from what you've described...it sounds like that would've been over their head. :confused3

I hope Disney's able to resolve it for you...it's a vacation, you're not supposed to have to stress out!! :flower3:

:banana: GET A GRIP :scared1: Making light of a HORRIBLE situation. Do you see a date or time to make those requests. GEESH!!!! :rotfl2:

ivet

You know, I have been thinking about this response because I couldn't understand what you were trying to say since I was simply making a joke suggestion that the OP found funny. I couldn't figure out why you were jumping on me, because, as you said, there was no time or date listed for my suggestion.

THEN, I went back and read the thread closer and I figured it out. You made the same suggestion a few messages up from me and I guess you thought that I was ragging on you for the suggestion. To be honest, I didn't even read your suggestion before I said what I said, but now reading it, I can see why you thought that I was whining about your suggestion. I read the part that I quoted, and didn't pay attention to the first part. Guess I need to pay attention more carefully before I respond. I blame baby brain. Sorry!

I guess brilliant minds think alike.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter