So, how do you schedule your park day breaks?

I used TouringPlans when we were getting ready for our first WDW trip in 2014. For me (type A personality!), it was helpful because it made me feel less overwhelmed, not only by the amount of stuff to do but also just by sensory overload when we first got into the parks. I found their wait time predictions to be pretty accurate and their schedule to be on the generous side as far as time goes (in a good way). For example, they might schedule ten minutes to walk between two attractions and it would only take us six minutes...so I think you'll have plenty of flexibility for bathroom or snack breaks!

On our arrival day, we spent the evening in Magic Kingdom without any kind of real plan (because it was only about $20 bucks to add one more day to our tickets). We thought that would be a good opportunity to just "experience the park" since so much of the rest of the trip was strictly planned. I was not at all prepared for how the crowds and all the noise and lights and colors would make me feel. I'm not saying I had a nervous break down or anything, but we did have to find a "relatively" quiet corner so that I could take a few minutes to get my bearings and adjust! :) But the next day, with my TouringPlan schedule in hand, I felt so much better equipped to "conquer" the World. I had something to focus on, something to help me navigate and the entire rest of the trip went so much better than that first evening!

All of that to say...I think a schedule like TouringPlans is a really great idea for first time visitors or maybe people who haven't been to the parks in a while. It helped me take control of my day and it made sure I didn't miss out on anything essential. We're currently planning our sixth trip, and since that first one I haven't bothered with any kind of schedule beyond picking the order of our park days, booking one or two ADRs, and picking our FP+. We just don't have the need for such a strict plan anymore since we are so much more familiar with the parks than we were on that first trip.

instead of doing the, "OMG, we need to be over there this instant for our FP!" rush-rush-rush.

This is my first time at Disney, so maybe I'm channeling too many vacation comedy movies. :rotfl:
My instant thought was like most other posters, we don't schedule breaks. Actually, if we're feeling great, we do the opposite; just keep going.

BUT....in summer, we have a hard rule to BREAK by 2pm and the VERY LATEST, and return 5-7pm. Otherwise, the heat zaps energy. Though we're also used to parks being open late in summer (EMH).

AND...no matter what, at WDW, we also ALWAYS feel the pull of rush-rush-rush! No matter what pace you take at WDW, there's always MORE you COULD be doing. The fun of WDW is all that energy. It rejuvenates and energizes us.

Also, and this may be hard to appreciate until you are there, there's almost always an opportunity to ZIG when the crowd ZAGS. AT WDW, it ALWAYS PAYS TO KEEP YOU WITS ABOUT YOU!

After a big show/fireworks, if you are first to exit, your wait for the restroom/nearest QS/bus will be short. If you are slow to exit, then you'll be at the back of the line. REPEAT this pattern ALL DAY! (sometimes a little rush= a big benefit)

I avoid TP like the plague. There are many unknowns on any given day, ride stops, weather problems, etc. I suppose TP can give you a general idea of what to expect, but not a hard prediction that is going to be 100% correct, and that idea would leave us frustrated, because we'd EXPECT to meet any plan.

I mean at work, if you don't meet the stated goal, it is bad, no?

Personally, we find the BEST approach is to use our head. LOOK, and pay attention! Be creative. Touring WDW is a bit like a puzzle.

I'll go back to my above example. Suppose you do find the nearest restroom has a long line. Instead of waiting in that long line, walk 100 feet to the NEXT restroom. Ah, no line!

And each little victory is as thrilling as the rides, at least to us. Maybe we're just crazy. :)

I don't like crisscrossing the park if we can avoid it. I try to book FP+ so that we can ride with FP and see other things in the same area before moving to our next FP. We try to schedule ADRs in the vicinity of the FP that is closest to meal times. For example, if we have a FP for Jungle Cruise at 4, I'll schedule dinner at Skipper Canteen for 5 or 6. While waiting we'll do Tiki Birds or grab a cold drink or Dole Whip and relax for a while. We also make it a point to never get on a standby line longer than 30 minutes, many less than that. Of course we've gone for many years and your is a first trip but I think you'll enjoy yourself more taking things a bit slower. For Epcot, I would book FP in the morning and spend the rest of the day enjoying the Food and Wine festival offerings. We never leave the park during the day but we tend to eat dinner early so it's less crowded and we leave after that if we are too tired. Let your husband set the pace and be sure to stay hydrated. Also take advantage of the indoor, air conditioned shows so you don't get overheated. Enjoy!

You sound like us! I focused on doing everything in an area before moving on. It may increase wait times, but I think that's the best method for us. I've also figured us on walking at a leisurely pace. In actuality, we'll probably go a bit faster, but I thought the extra travel time guestimated will give us more time to sit and rest.

Also, you just described my Epcot strategy!

I am hoping to plan Rope Drop then break by 1 pm most days and then an evening park about 4-5pm
I am unsure when I should make the FP+'s for, some just work better at night and if I plan my morning park right I could get a good line of rides from 9am-11am or noon.

I dont criss cross the park for anything, once we finish a section, we're done. That's why i love doing my TPs, so I can make sure i get everything in before moving on. Also plan my touring around ADRs so not crossing the park to get to meals, I have it planned so that's the section of the park we are currently in, before and/or after the Adr. It helps (me) to have it all planned out in TP.

This is making me think to take note of all the rest rooms along my touring plan - as I have 4 kids and someone always has to go!
I have to admit - I laughed when I saw this post! One of the things I LOVE about being an experienced Disney visitor - I do know where all the restrooms are! Never have to waste time looking for one.

With four kids - as you are reviewing maps before you head out on your trip - it's definitely a good idea to take a moment to notice them on the map.

Keep in mind that if you are doing any of the attractions that are shows you will ALREADY be taking rest breaks. Things like Mickey's Philharmagic, American Adventure, Festival of the Lion King, etc are air conditioned and you just sit there. Spaceship Earth is pretty long ride and it is very relaxing, same with Living with the Land, there are many others that also serve as a nice break.

We always put together a plan - but we have NEVER, in all of our years of multiple trips, actually followed that plan to the letter. We only use it as a guide and as a way to figure out which park we will most likely be at for scheduling ADRs. In reality if we feel like going to the park we have scheduled then we go, if we feel like going to a different park or just relaxing at the resort then we do that instead. We cancel or reschedule ADRs all the time if we aren't hungry or if we decide to go to a different park.

Since your DH is recovering from a heart attack I'm sure he is taking measures to reduce stress. To me the most stressful part of a WDW vacation is the feeling that you HAVE to do everything and that you MUST be at *that* spot by *this* time. We refuse to fall into that mindset. It's better to miss a few things and have a fun vacation than to check all the boxes but be stressed and exhausted.

One thing I forgot to mention.

Have you read the warnings and restrictions for who can ride certain attractions? If not, you might want to do that. Disney has warnings for several attractions (mostly the big headliner attractions) saying that those with heart conditions should not ride. While I realize it is likely most people with heart conditions WON'T have any problems, I would not choose to test my limits while I am actively recovering from a heart attack.

It might be that if your DH decides to forego some of those attractions he can also sit and relax if you choose to ride them on your own.

It might be that if your DH decides to forego some of those attractions he can also sit and relax if you choose to ride them on your own.

While we tend to not use plans all that much, if one of us does sit out a ride or something, we usually find that the person sitting out can ALSO be helpful/constructive in some way. Or maybe they just take care of some person need, like getting something to drink.

This is also true for the group whenever we're in line; trying to use a bit of that time constructively, like discussing what we'll do after that ride.

There's a balance between feeling rushed/like your always having to think ahead and the aggravation of indecision, or pushing yourself too much. Each family has to find the balance that works for them, and it is some magic combo or knowing WDW/planning/going with the flow. When you get it right, you have tons of fun. When you get it wrong, there's a meltdown.

Last, several folks posted about avoiding crisscrossing the park, but we don't mind crisscrossing the park at all- if it serves a purpose. I'll gladly walk an extra 10 minutes to dodge an hour of standing in line - and that happens at WDW. The trick is to know when to take it easy, and when to put in a little extra effort. Getting up early IS worth the effort, but also don't beat yourself up if you don't make rope drop every day. Sleeping in until 11am though, will cost you.

Last time we went to AKL, that had the Jungle Book show. Walking to the far entrance made the difference between having super seats and not getting into the seating area at all. We were literally among the last 10 people to get seats.

One thing I forgot to mention.

Have you read the warnings and restrictions for who can ride certain attractions? If not, you might want to do that. Disney has warnings for several attractions (mostly the big headliner attractions) saying that those with heart conditions should not ride. While I realize it is likely most people with heart conditions WON'T have any problems, I would not choose to test my limits while I am actively recovering from a heart attack.

Great advice. We have talked about it. It helps that we're all scaredy cats. I put us on Mission Space Green while at Epcot, but we may skip it entirely as we'll be hitting the Space Center earlier in the week. No interest in TT. We plan on trying 7DMT and BTMR and are toying with EE at AK, as well as FoP. He has no interest in Tower of Terror, so I'm on my own for that one. Rock n Rollin' coaster is out for all of us. Everything else is pretty tame. We'd ride Splash, but it will be closed during our visit. DH has no desire to do Space Mountain at all. He sees his cardiologist two weeks before our trip, so will talk to the doctor about do's and don'ts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter