So frustrated by bus situation

Ok, at this point,, I would go to the front desk, ask for the highest level manager they have there, explain the situation and tell them that you would like an accessible taxi comped for the remainder of your trip as they do not have enough accessible busses running to comply with ADA law.

To the best of my knowledge, the following still applies:
If someone with a disability is waiting to get on a bus and that bus cannot accommodate them for ANY reason, thst bus is considered to be full and cannot let anyone on at that stop or any after until it can accommodate a guest with a disability. So, if you are waiting for a bus and a coach bus comes, no one can get on it since it cannot handle a guest with a disability.

Again, be polite, but if you get oushback on getting the taxis comped, make it clear you will start insisting this part of the law be followed.

I don't know the condition of your batteries, but when we rent from Gold Mobility this works as well, but only in limited circumstances. If we are going to EPCOT and a bus comes for Hollywood Studios, we will catch the Hollywood Studios Bus and the use the walking path to EPCOT, you could also take the boats. Unfortunately with the reservation system, thst doesn't work in reverse right now.
Can you provide the source of your information stating that a bus needing to cease loading able guests or go empty if they can not accommodate a guest with a disability?

Update: I went to the front desk again tonight and happened upon a couple fantastic CMs who really got what the issue was and wanted to help. One has a partner with chronic health issues who just got her first wheelchair, so he's been complaining about the bus issue since the reopening. End result? They moved me to POFQ, which uses almost no coach busses as opposed to the 50-60% that CSR has. Obviously not a systemic fix, but honestly easier for us to manage than getting accessible cabs or hand-control rental cars paid for during the rest of our stay.

Update: I went to the front desk again tonight and happened upon a couple fantastic CMs who really got what the issue was and wanted to help. One has a partner with chronic health issues who just got her first wheelchair, so he's been complaining about the bus issue since the reopening. End result? They moved me to POFQ, which uses almost no coach busses as opposed to the 50-60% that CSR has. Obviously not a systemic fix, but honestly easier for us to manage than getting accessible cabs or hand-control rental cars paid for during the rest of our stay.
I'm sorry it's taken so much time and energy; and I'm super hopeful that this works!

Can you provide the source of your information stating that a bus needing to cease loading able guests or go empty if they can not accommodate a guest with a disability?
Yes, the actual text of the ADA law, ot sure where a link is to it, but it was there last I read it.

So, why couldn't they have done that in the first place?

This is why I think every CM should be required to do at least 2 weeks of sensitivity training where there must use a wheelchair or simulation of another disability 24/7, so they truly understand what we go through on a daily basis. And this should be done before all other training.

Sadly, often people gave to have seen the impact on a loved one or themselves to have sympathy.

I hope this works well for you.

it might be worth using Lyft. However some if their cars won't accommodate a chair and there is no way I've found to let them know via the app that you need a car that has room for a wheelchair

it might be worth using Lyft. However some if their cars won't accommodate a chair and there is no way I've found to let them know via the app that you need a car that has room for a wheelchair

Lyft is kind of a pain for us, so we only use it when we have to. If we're taking anything more than 'just' the chair and ourselves, we have to get the XL which costs more, and I usually have to collapse my chair myself and then limp/stagger to the side door to get in. But given our experience with an incompetent Mears 'accessible taxi' this week, I suppose I shouldn't complain - at least Lyft isn't claiming it's accessible! So yeah, we use it every so often here (mostly to get from one resort to another resort) as well as to get to/from the airport, but it's not a good every-day solution for us to get to the parks. Thanks, though!

The bus service is getting worse and worse at WDW. I had many of those issues in May. I stayed at Pop Century and gave up on the buses half way through my 2 week trip. I had driven down and took my car to MK and AK. Since I was at Pop the Skyliner worked for EPCOT and DHS.

Agreed. Lake Buena Vista a week ago wasn't great. Two buses in the early morning, two in the late evening, 10-12 hours between them. I expected to only use the bus, but we relied on Lyft most of the visit due to terrible timing.

They moved me to POFQ, which uses almost no coach busses as opposed to the 50-60% that CSR has. Obviously not a systemic fix, but honestly easier for us to manage than getting accessible cabs or hand-control rental cars paid for during the rest of our stay.

Awesome!! I would LOVE to know what resorts use coach busses vs. Disney busses - that would probably affect my resort booking. Although probably too late for my upcoming trip! I love CSR but I'm glad I'm not staying there now after hearing about your issues.

Awesome!! I would LOVE to know what resorts use coach busses vs. Disney busses - that would probably affect my resort booking. Although probably too late for my upcoming trip! I love CSR but I'm glad I'm not staying there now after hearing about your issues.

From what I can tell, all resorts use them at least occasionally unless the coach-style busses literally cannot fit into the driveways (OKW). However, it's definitely more common at some resorts than others.

Here are the ones I know use coach busses regularly:
all 3 All-Stars
Pop, especially when Skyliner is down
AoA, especially when Skyliner is down
CSR

I've seen them at/heading to:
Contemporary at peak times
BC/YC/BW loop to EPCOT's back main entrance when it was raining

They definitely seem to run to values/moderates more frequently than they run to deluxes, and to the larger hotels more frequently than the smaller ones. Which makes sense but that doesn't make it better.

So far at POFQ, we've seen a total of one coach: to EPCOT, about an hour before opening. From what I gathered from the two CMs I asked, that's the only route that uses a coach and only very seldom (because it about took out the front side of the bus stop trying to make the turn!)

Anyone else who has been in the past 1-2 years want to chime in with where they stayed and whether coach busses were being used at that resort/how frequently? I think until or unless Disney changes their use of inaccessible busses, using that information to choose a hotel (if possible) may be the best defense.

(Edited to fix reference to the wrong EPCOT entrance!)

Last edited:
BC/YC/BW loop to EPCOT's back entrance when it was raining
Can you clarify this statement? There is no back entrance to Epcot that can be accessed via bus. The Skyliner and Friendship boats go to the International Gateway but buses and monorail can only go to the fron entrance. Regardless of weather.

Anyone else who has been in the past 1-2 years want to chime in with where they stayed and whether coach busses were being used at that resort/how frequently? I think until or unless Disney changes their use of inaccessible busses, using that information to choose a hotel (if possible) may be the best defense.

In July, I had a split stay at Kidani and at Villas at Grand Floridian. In my 9 day total stay, I only encountered coach buses once or twice. However, I did have Disney buses with two bus drivers twice-each time there was a driver in training together with the regular one. The driver in training would load me with my ECV, tie it down, all while the "regular" watched everything he did and said, making comments like "Good Job!" or "It's easier if you do this...." So to me that was a good sign of more Disney bus drivers coming! Fortunately, my experience wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared.

Can you clarify this statement? There is no back entrance to Epcot that can be accessed via bus. The Skyliner and Friendship boats go to the International Gateway but buses and monorail can only go to the fron entrance. Regardless of weather.

Sorry - you're right. They were doing a loop of the resorts and labeled EPCOT, I presume going around to the front entrance to save people from having to walk to IG in the rain.

Well, I just went through the whole thing and didn't find it - perhaps you could spend the time and look too? Maybe bookmark it this time, so when you paraphrase it, you can link the actual text?
I was told by a bus driver a long time ago that language was in the ADA; I took them at their word, but I’ve searched many times and not found it.
It may be part of a policy of a specific bus company rather than actually in the ADA.
There are regulations that require drivers to ask passengers to move from the ‘priority seats’ for guests with disabilities, but the driver is not required to enforce it if the passengers won’t move.

Transportation services by places like amusement parks, where transportation is not their primary service are under Title 3 of the ADA.
This is the text regarding transportation from that Title:
Sec.36.310 Transportation provided by public accommodations.

(a) General. (1) A public accommodation that provides transportation services, but that is not primarily engaged in the business of transporting people, is subject to the general and specific provisions in subparts B, C, and D of this part for its transportation operations, except as provided in this section.

(2) Examples. Transportation services subject to this section include, but are not limited to, shuttle services operated between transportation terminals and places of public accommodation, customer shuttle bus services operated by private companies and shopping centers, student transportation systems, and transportation provided within recreational facilities such as stadiums, zoos, amusement parks, and ski resorts.

(b) Barrier removal. A public accommodation subject to this section shall remove transportation barriers in existing vehicles and rail passenger cars used for transporting individuals (not including barriers that can only be removed through the retrofitting of vehicles or rail passenger cars by the installation of a hydraulic or other lift) where such removal is readily achievable.

(c) Requirements for vehicles and systems. A public accommodation subject to this section shall comply with the requirements pertaining to vehicles and transportation systems in the regulations issued by the Secretary of Transportation pursuant to section 306 of the Act.”

This is a link to the ADA Title III Technical Assistance Manual

Most of the other things I’ve found have to do with physical adaptations to provide accessibility, prohibiting discrimination/refusal of service and things like not requiring passengers with disabilities to sit in seats designated for people with disabilities.

From what I can tell, all resorts use them at least occasionally unless the coach-style busses literally cannot fit into the driveways (OKW). However, it's definitely more common at some resorts than others.

all 3 All-Stars
Pop, especially when Skyliner is down
AoA, especially when Skyliner is down
CSR

I've seen them at/heading to:
Contemporary at peak times
BC/YC/BW loop to EPCOT's back entrance when it was raining

They definitely seem to run to values/moderates more frequently than they run to deluxes, and to the larger hotels more frequently than the smaller ones. Which makes sense but that doesn't make it better.

So far at POFQ, we've seen a total of one coach: to EPCOT, about an hour before opening. From what I gathered from the two CMs I asked, that's the only route that uses a coach and only very seldom (because it about took out the front side of the bus stop trying to make the turn!)

we saw the coach buses a couple times in September at kidani (or going ak to kidani). Mostbuses at kidani were the normal Disney buses.

kristin

we saw the coach buses a couple times in September at kidani (or going ak to kidani). Mostbuses at kidani were the normal Disney buses.
kristin
In a week and a half stay at Kidani earlier this month, I only saw one coach bus. It was at the Magic Kingdom, for guests leaving after 1AM at the end of the after hours holiday event.

I was told by a bus driver a long time ago that language was in the ADA; I took them at their word, but I’ve searched many times and not found it.
It may be part of a policy of a specific bus company rather than actually in the ADA.
There are regulations that require drivers to ask passengers to move from the ‘priority seats’ for guests with disabilities, but the driver is not required to enforce it if the passengers won’t move.

Transportation services by places like amusement parks, where transportation is not their primary service are under Title 3 of the ADA.
This is the text regarding transportation from that Title:
Sec.36.310 Transportation provided by public accommodations.

(a) General. (1) A public accommodation that provides transportation services, but that is not primarily engaged in the business of transporting people, is subject to the general and specific provisions in subparts B, C, and D of this part for its transportation operations, except as provided in this section.

(2) Examples. Transportation services subject to this section include, but are not limited to, shuttle services operated between transportation terminals and places of public accommodation, customer shuttle bus services operated by private companies and shopping centers, student transportation systems, and transportation provided within recreational facilities such as stadiums, zoos, amusement parks, and ski resorts.

(b) Barrier removal. A public accommodation subject to this section shall remove transportation barriers in existing vehicles and rail passenger cars used for transporting individuals (not including barriers that can only be removed through the retrofitting of vehicles or rail passenger cars by the installation of a hydraulic or other lift) where such removal is readily achievable.

(c) Requirements for vehicles and systems. A public accommodation subject to this section shall comply with the requirements pertaining to vehicles and transportation systems in the regulations issued by the Secretary of Transportation pursuant to section 306 of the Act.”

This is a link to the ADA Title III Technical Assistance Manual

Most of the other things I’ve found have to do with physical adaptations to provide accessibility, prohibiting discrimination/refusal of service and things like not requiring passengers with disabilities to sit in seats designated for people with disabilities.

Yup, that's all I saw too - and so I'm chalking this one up to urban myths. Was the bus driver that told you this a WDW bus driver?

all 3 All-Stars

Thanks for all that great info! Of course I'm staying at an All Stars this trip in just a few days. I'm hoping it will be ok - not much I can do. I usually leave the resort later in the morning which might help. Each All Stars has a single dedicated line for each park and in the past I haven't had issues with the bus arriving with people on it already... and used to have a CM out front to keep an eye on things. Fingers crossed some of that is still the same.

I'm only there for a week - first time back since covid - I'll drop a post here about my bus experience...which I hope will be better than what you had to deal with!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter