So few kids

AprilLizbeth

Big-time dork!
Weird observation but we were at Disney this past weekend and there was a distinct lack of children there. My husband and I looked around and felt like the only family there. Now we went to Disney before and after we had kids so I'm not judging but it was very noticeable this trip. We went to mk, Hollywood and Epcot.

Weird observation but we were at Disney this past weekend and there was a distinct lack of children there. My husband and I looked around and felt like the only family there. Now we went to Disney before and after we had kids so I'm not judging but it was very noticeable this trip. We went to mk, Hollywood and Epcot.
We observed the same thing a few weeks ago. Disney has made it very difficult for ppl with young children to go so maybe families have given up 😔.

My guess (as a parent of a 9-year-old and a 7-year-old) is that many parents are feeling the detrimental effects that a year of interrupted schooling has had on their children and don't want them to miss any more school than necessary. That, and some parents of kids who are too young for vaccines are still not traveling at all.

My guess (as a parent of a 9-year-old and a 7-year-old) is that many parents are feeling the detrimental effects that a year of interrupted schooling has had on their children and don't want them to miss any more school than necessary. That, and some parents of kids who are too young for vaccines are still not traveling at all.

This is really interesting--- I think alot of it has to do with the Vax as well--- we were going to cancel our December trip if my DS10 was not vaccinated yet--- But, its weird--- when you mention the kids missing school--- I speak with so many parents when I pick my son up from school, and they have been telling me that they are booking MORE vacations now with their kids... (and families in general) ... just because they want to spend more time with their families now- Covid seems to have changed the way so many people view life- My DD15 tells me the same. So many of her friends are missing school here and there, because they are going away with their families to unwind a bit

This is really interesting--- I think alot of it has to do with the Vax as well--- we were going to cancel our December trip if my DS10 was not vaccinated yet--- But, its weird--- when you mention the kids missing school--- I speak with so many parents when I pick my son up from school, and they have been telling me that they are booking MORE vacations now with their kids... (and families in general) ... just because they want to spend more time with their families now- Covid seems to have changed the way so many people view life- My DD15 tells me the same. So many of her friends are missing school here and there, because they are going away with their families to unwind a bit
I have to agree. Our schools have been opened since fall 2020 and our kids have done a great job catching up including participating in our summer bridge program but we now have less qualms about pulling them out for a day or two for vacation.

Well, it's also not a school break time and one of the least busy times of year tradiitonally, so that may have something to do with it.
That's never had anything to do with it in my experience. Believe me, I've tried all the angles to avoid as many crowds as possible. lol All I know is that I'm going Friday and I sure hope this is true! :teeth: Disney's no place for children.:rotfl2:

I'm guessing it's just a combination of the present state of things with the variant, school stuff (parents may be more reluctant to take their kids out of school at the moment), weather issues (remember it's winter....snow storms and stuff are happening), looking at what Disney has to offer for a particular family, etc.

A lot of kids were just off for about 2 weeks due to Christmas and the circumstances in December with the positive rates being so high many kids also missed additional time. Our son was in school exactly 4 days this December between Christmas break and positive Covid tests in the family. We wouldn't let him miss more days so quickly and I suspect a lot of parents are in that situation now.

probably a mix of a few things if thats really the case. as others have said, Covid and missing school is probably a big reason, but i would assume pricing is as well.

For a family of four, we make decent money, but those trips are starting to become a stretch for us now. It's gotten really expensive for families, and many with young kids already have a lot of expenses (childcare is insanely expensive).

My wife and I tried to do our part, took our youngest grandchild (4 years old) to WDW Jan 17th to 23rd. We had a ball. He absolutely loves the Slinky Dog ride at Hollywood studios. Loved the interaction with Chip and Dale at the Harvest Rest in Epcot, and with Donald (his favorite) at Tusker House in Animal Kingdom. Everytime I grumble about the crazy increases of the WDW experience, seeing one of my grandkids total enjoyment reminds me why we continue to go.

This is where we are, too. My now second graders have never had a "normal" school year, as kinder just abruptly ended in March 2020 and then 1st was virtual. We weren't doing a darn thing before they were vaxxed and plan to be more careful about pulling them for next school year despite planning on getting APs. I think age matters a lot, too. Since mine have yet to experience a normal year, we're being much more cautious about interruptions.

I have to agree. Our schools have been opened since fall 2020 and our kids have done a great job catching up including participating in our summer bridge program but we now have less qualms about pulling them out for a day or two for vacation.

Exactly! I have a ton of friends that are avoiding the crowds during breaks (Winter, Spring) and taking their kids out the week before or after--- not saying whether I agree with it or not.. personal decisions, but many want to spend time with family now, after everything we have (and are) going thru

This is where we are, too. My now second graders have never had a "normal" school year, as kinder just abruptly ended in March 2020 and then 1st was virtual. We weren't doing a darn thing before they were vaxxed and plan to be more careful about pulling them for next school year despite planning on getting APs. I think age matters a lot, too. Since mine have yet to experience a normal year, we're being much more cautious about interruptions.
not to really get on a covid tangent...but this long term covid stuff is really effecting kids.

we're in year 3 of elementary school with my kids being effected by this, we're in year 3 of cub scouts having to make adjustments because of it. this is what their childhood is going to look like...its sad.

really sorry, didnt mean to make it about covid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter