So crowded...why?

JenLoy

Mouseketeer
Anyone know why the parks so crowded this week. Are schools on break? October never used to be this bad. I was expecting a little pickup around the 3 day weekend but all week has been packed

I love listening to people complain about crowds or act so confused as to why Walt Disney World is crowded right now (not really directed to you, OP).

Fall break, Columbus Day, Food and Wine, Not So Scary... yeah I wonder why it's crowded!!

Do people do ANY research before a trip??

OP, I never knew Columbus Day was a big thing, or that any schools have a fall break (our schools don't have that) until I started planning WDW trips. This year when I was looking to get in on free dining I saw that next week was blacked out so we ended up going a couple weeks ago. Also, flights to Orlando were about 30% more for next week! So I think next week will be the biggest crowd-wise this fall till the holidays. When we went late Sept, it was very crowded for a 'slow' time. I'm sure as Tonyz so nicely put it, the events are bringing in the crowds more than ever before. It wasn't bonkers crazy, but there was really no 'low' about it (and I have been at very crowded and very quiet times).

Also, any time you go during a party season, if you go to Magic Kingdom on a non-party day, it is going to be very crowded. (Don't know if that happened to you, OP, but it is a reason for many "Why is it packed? threads.)

It seems there have been so many threads on crowds lately. I think basically it boils down to the fact that there is no more slow time at Disney. If you are going to go, you are going to deal with crowds. Except maybe September, but people are saying even that was crowded. It is either crowded or really crowded.

Disney is adding more and more "special stuff" to drive up crowds, and is working well :rotfl2:. Holiday parties, fireworks, food and wine, marathons, discounted dining, villain parties, candlelight processional etc. Throw in Holidays, school break, Jersey week etc. and there is no slow time.

It seems there have been so many threads on crowds lately. I think basically it boils down to the fact that there is no more slow time at Disney. If you are going to go, you are going to deal with crowds. Except maybe September, but people are saying even that was crowded. It is either crowded or really crowded. Disney is adding more and more "special stuff" to drive up crowds, and is working well :rotfl2:. Holiday parties, fireworks, food and wine, marathons, discounted dining, villain parties, candlelight processional etc. Throw in Holidays, school break, Jersey week etc. and there is no slow time.

I think that you are right. My family was in Disney about 7 years ago for my DGD birthday, and was hoping October this year would be as "slow". The crowd trackers are all over the place for this visit, so I am prepared to be part of a crowd. WE'll see. I doubt I can ever get away in September, and my DGD is now in Jr High, so she would rather chew glass than miss a day, even to go back during a slower season. If there is one. LOL!

No offense taken. Had taken trips in October before and never encountered crowds this high. I think many of you are right and there may not be a "slow" season anymore.

I think all the added events they have surely added to the crowds but I also think people now have a different idea what crowded is. To me a 45 minute wait for POC, Space, BTMRR and HM are not bad but a lot of people think that is crazy. Then again most of my Disney experience is pre FP so back then there were lines that were at least and hour and we waited in them. :eek: It's what you did in the 70s-early 90s. :confused3 (we walked to school barefoot in the snow uphill both ways too :rotfl:)

You have to just go with the flow. A packed day at Disney is way better than an awesome day at work!!! :rotfl2:

I think we all forget this is a world wide vacation spot and the economy is improving all over the world allowing more and more folks to afford a trip. Many folks have avoided vacation for several years and can finally afford that trip!!

Compared to Spring Break and May/June of this past year, we have found the WDW parks very manageable. Of course, we tend to go for the first couple of hours after opening, take a pool break, then return late in the day. We even got to ride the Mine Train last night with only a 15-20 minute wait (posted at 40). We've learned to bail out of the parks when we start to feel hot and tired. That's when our patience becomes frayed, and our perception of crowd levels changes. Also, keep in mind that the walkways seem crowded within an hour of opening no matter when you go. I haven't figured out why that is.

US/IoA has been very quiet in the morning and late afternoon hours. We rode the new Gringott's ride with only a 30 minute wait. Entered the line around 9:15 AM last Sunday. The line moved continuously, so it really didn't feel like much of a wait.

And, yes, Fall Breaks have started. Tennessee and Kentucky license plates abound!

It seems there have been so many threads on crowds lately. I think basically it boils down to the fact that there is no more slow time at Disney.

I think this only really applies to the MK, with all due respect.

Heck...there have been all kinds of posts these last couple of weeks stating how empty or "light" the crowds have been at Epcot (on weekends) ...and this is during F&W!!!!!

The main thing to take away is if you are interested in the three non-MK parks the crowds at those are usually extremely manageable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter