So about this Hurricane - 10/7 Dream cancelled, 10/7 Magic Canadian, 10/8 now 10/9 Fantasy 6-night

Another update on the Fantasy:

• The October 1 sailing of the Disney Fantasy is being extended by one day given the uncertainty around the impact Hurricane Matthew will have on Port Canaveral. We are planning to disembark in Port Canaveral on Sunday, October 9. We are working with the guests onboard to assist them with their travel arrangements.

Thank you for your updates, but I agree --- turn off the TV monitors and even feel free to stay away from here. Enjoy your days on the ocean. Praying you have a joyful trip. ❤

I totally agree!
Thankful that DCL is keeping all out of harms way.
Continuous prayers

For those that felt Disney waited to long to adjust the Fantasy on Saturday to Sunday ... Carnival still has hope for Saturday for its two ships. Looks like they may be planning to just delay Saturday's boarding time. Royal Caribbean has cancelled its October 8 cruise out of Port Canaveral.

Carnival Magic – 10/8/16 departure
Based on the current forecast of Hurricane Matthew, the Brevard County area, including Port Canaveral, will suffer the strongest effects of the storm all throughout the day on Friday. Port Canaveral is presently closed to all marine traffic and we expect it to remain closed until the storm has passed. Once conditions become safe, port officials will begin their assessment and make a determination of when the port is safe to reopen. This could take some time and assuming the port reopens on Saturday, embarkation would take place late afternoon/early evening.

We will stay in close contact with port officials and will provide an update after 6:00 PM tomorrow.

Carnival Valor – 10/8/16 departure
Based on the current forecast of Hurricane Matthew, the Brevard County area, including Port Canaveral, will suffer the strongest effects of the storm all throughout the day on Friday. Port Canaveral is presently closed to all marine traffic and we expect it to remain closed until the storm has passed. Once conditions become safe, port officials will begin their assessment and make a determination of when the port is safe to reopen. This could take some time and assuming the port reopens on Saturday, embarkation would take place late afternoon/early evening.

We will stay in close contact with port officials and will provide an update after 6:00 PM tomorrow.

Majesty of the Seas

Due to Port Canaveral's closure and given Hurricane Matthew's current location and projected path, it will be necessary to cancel Majesty of the Seas' Saturday, October 8, sailing. Guests will have the option to receive a full refund of the cruise fare paid or future cruise credit in the amount of 150% of the cruise fare paid. Refunds will automatically be issued within one week to the form of payment applied unless we are contacted and a future cruise credit is requested.

For those that felt Disney waited to long to adjust the Fantasy on Saturday to Sunday ... Carnival still has hope for Saturday for its two ships. Looks like they may be planning to just delay Saturday's boarding time. Royal Caribbean has cancelled its October 8 cruise out of Port Canaveral.

Carnival Magic – 10/8/16 departure

Carnival Valor – 10/8/16 departure

Majesty of the Seas
Due to Port Canaveral's closure and given Hurricane Matthew's current location and projected path, it will be necessary to cancel Majesty of the Seas' Saturday, October 8, sailing.
Guests will have the option to receive a full refund of the cruise fare paid or future cruise credit in the amount of 150% of the cruise fare paid. Refunds will automatically be issued within one week to the form of payment applied unless we are contacted and a future cruise credit is requested.

Wow! rCCL wins that prize! 150% credit?!?!

Wow! rCCL wins that prize! 150% credit?!?!

It actually sounds great, but I prefer what DCL is doing. DCL gives you a 20% reduction on a future cruise (and it seems from a few reports I read here that they are also honoring the original booking date price, i.e. don't give you 20% of prevailing prices). With RCCL you do not get the money back, it stays with them, you can just book something more expensive (one and a half time more expensive). I find the DCL offer to give you more flexibility as to what to do with the money you save on a future cruise, use it to upgrade on your cruise, book more excursions or just use it for a few nice meals out or whatever takes your fancy. With RCCL the perceived discount is larger, but they make sure it stays with them.

We rebooked yesterday (from the cancelled 10/07 cruise) for the 10/28 3 Night. Only verandah rooms were available, while our original booking was for an porthole room. Even at three weeks out for an upgraded room, with the 20% discount, we are paying $300+ less, so they definitely are not using prevailing prices. We are totally pleased with the solution DCL came up with and are thrilled we could still get on a Halloween cruise this year. :)

I canceled the 10/7 (today) Magic cruise and booked one of the last cabins on the 10/15 Magic. The only difference is we are not going to Nassau. I had originally booked a large port hole room and for the new cruise got a verandah and I got $1000 refund. It's a win-win for me

I'm jealous! We did the same thing, stayed at the same category, and only got a $175 refund.

Except the Hurricane is supposed to loop back and hit it all again. I'm flying out next Thursday for the 15th fantasy and am worried about what the loop now means for us.

All the projections of the loop (with the caveat that predicting hurricanes is hard) have it looping back as a tropical storm, not a hurricane. Still a serious storm, but not close the parks and cancel cruises serious. Assuming the docks in PC, Nassau and CC aren't damaged (haven't seen reports on either), it looks like cruises, especially a week out, may not be impacted very much (other than being rainy and visible damage on the islands). Definitely keep monitoring, but I'm not expecting further cancellations unless something changes (which is possible, as predicting hurricanes is hard).

Latest forecast is now even projecting it as a tropical depression (less serious than tropical storm) by 8 AM Wednesday. That would be wonderful for the areas worried about a harsh loop back. Usual disclaimer that storm projection beyond a day or two is hit or miss.

095334W5_NL_sm.gif

Imagine if Disney came out with: "Cruises embarking in Port Canaveral this weekend are cancelled." And that's all they said. People would lose their minds.

No, not at all! Totally the opposite. I think it would give people peace of mind and relief, that they will get a full refund (and so they are not going to have to spend hours on the phone and with insurance companies), they can move on to make alternate plans, and worry about more important things, especially if they live on the Southeastern Seaboard and might still be affected by this hurricane themselves or have loved ones that are, or might come, into harm's way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter