Snorkeling Experience

ksack

Mouseketeer
I've only snorkeled once in my life. It was at DW at the water park when they offered it with the sharks. The cruise that my DH & I are considering offers considerable snorkeling opportunities. Since I'm obviously such a newbie should I consider doing these excursions on a cruise?

I've only snorkeled once in my life. It was at DW at the water park when they offered it with the sharks. The cruise that my DH & I are considering offers considerable snorkeling opportunities. Since I'm obviously such a newbie should I consider doing these excursions on a cruise?

If you can swim, I wouldn't hesitate. But, depending on your skill level and conditions, I would use the life jacket most excursions offer. If I am snorkeling in rough waters, I personally take a device that is designed for snorkeling and connects to your arm or leg with a cord, so you can swim freely and still have backup if needed. It saved my life in rough waters once and I am a pretty advanced swimmer. Disney doesn't allow floating pool devices, but has always allowed me to take that snorkeling float.

However, the snorkeling offered on excursions is usually pretty calm, where you just float on the surface. Even young kids can usually do it safely. I would feel comfortable doing it, even if you are a beginner, so long as you can swim.

It can be very difficult to snorkel on castaway cay due to tide, but you could definitely go at your own pace.

The problem with some snorkeling excursions offered by Disney is that they tend to be large groups, and you are sort of shuffled on and off the boat, and not really given any assistance.

If you chose a private smaller tour, it would definitely be worthwhile. We did that last year on curaçao and Bonaire and had a fantastic time. We also had some pretty good luck snorkeling on Tortola through Aristocat Sailing. But I would never snorkel with a large Disney excursion again.

Go for it. There are few stops on the usual ports DCL visits that do not offer astounding snorkeling opportunities. My family fell in love with the sport after an excursion in Grand Cayman. Granted, we were on the catamaran with 50 of our closest friends :D, but it was amazing and hooked the rest of the family just like I am. I echo @brentm77, if you're not a strong swimmer (or someone in your family) use the vest. At Castaway, they have the inflatable vests and the solid Kapok type vest for the weak swimmers. Yes, the current can be a challenge, there are apps that you can use (that I use) to time the current. I'm a fairly good swimmer, I'm just being lazy :D. I cannot encourage you enough to (pardon the pun), ump in with both feet

Thank you all! The cruise we're looking at is the one in the South Pacific... I'm not a strong swimmer per say, but I like the ideas of looking for smaller groups or if they offer the vests that is a definite consideration!

Thank you both! The cruise we're looking at is the one in the South Pacific... I'm not a strong swimmer per say, but I like the ideas of looking for smaller groups or if they offer the vests that is a definite consideration!
I've actually quite a bit of experience in the South Pacific; the US Navy took me all over. Guam is exquisite snorkeling. Anyway... Most dive/snorkel companies require the swimmers to wear, at least, an inflatable vest that's uninflated. Five quick breaths and it's full and very safe. One thing to note: wear lots of sunscreen on you neck, back and even your scalp. It can be brutal after an hour face down in the water

Thank you all! The cruise we're looking at is the one in the South Pacific... I'm not a strong swimmer per say, but I like the ideas of looking for smaller groups or if they offer the vests that is a definite consideration!
Depending on which excursion you are considering you may be in open water from a boat, or walking out from a beach. Look at the Disney port adventure descriptions and they should mention if your excursion includes a boat ride (if none is mentioned your probably walking out from a beach). If being able to stand up if needed makes you more comfortable you can choose to pick these.

The snorkeling in the South Pacific is great, Fiji has some exceptional snorkeling but anywhere you can book will probably be pretty great.

It can be very difficult to snorkel on castaway cay due to tide, but you could definitely go at your own pace.

The problem with some snorkeling excursions offered by Disney is that they tend to be large groups, and you are sort of shuffled on and off the boat, and not really given any assistance.

If you chose a private smaller tour, it would definitely be worthwhile. We did that last year on curaçao and Bonaire and had a fantastic time. We also had some pretty good luck snorkeling on Tortola through Aristocat Sailing. But I would never snorkel with a large Disney excursion again.
Do you happen to remember what snorkeling companies you used in Bonaire and Curacao? We are doing an ABC cruise in July (not DCL though) and are interested in doing a private excursion. Especially one focused on sea turtles

Do you happen to remember what snorkeling companies you used in Bonaire and Curacao? We are doing an ABC cruise in July (not DCL though) and are interested in doing a private excursion. Especially one focused on sea turtles
In Bonaire, you MUST do the drift snorkeling with Woodwind. Book early--they fill up!

Depending on which excursion you are considering you may be in open water from a boat, or walking out from a beach. Look at the Disney port adventure descriptions and they should mention if your excursion includes a boat ride (if none is mentioned your probably walking out from a beach). If being able to stand up if needed makes you more comfortable you can choose to pick these.

The snorkeling in the South Pacific is great, Fiji has some exceptional snorkeling but anywhere you can book will probably be pretty great.
Thank you for that suggestion! I didn’t realize that might be an option… the walking out from the beach. I’ll definitely read the options!

I am not a strong swimmer, so prefer snorkeling in the more shallow waters accessed from shore. But I have done some from a boat. For those, I prefer more protected water, with a reputation of calmer waves. You are on a good path - doing your research.

Specifically, these on a South Pacific cruise?
  • Kahului, Hawai'i
  • Pago Pago, American Samoa
  • Suva, Fiji
  • Nouméa, New Caledonia
  • Sydney, Australia
I can address Kahului, Maui. Definitely options for snorkeling. Opportunities to catch a boat at Maalaea harbor are good, including stops at Molokini Crater and Turtle Town. If you do the February cruise, you will be in Hawaii with the humpback whales - which can be seen in the above area. The Harbor is about a 15 minute drive from the cruise port.

Try a search for the other ports on Cruise Critic for comments by cruisers from companies that have a longer history at these stops, and Viator or TripAdvisor to get an idea of excursions/ “things to do” in these locations. Or look for scuba/ dive shops in these areas, as they often serve more fly-in guests than cruisers.

I am not a strong swimmer, so prefer snorkeling in the more shallow waters accessed from shore. But I have done some from a boat. For those, I prefer more protected water, with a reputation of calmer waves. You are on a good path - doing your research.

Specifically, these on a South Pacific cruise?
  • Kahului, Hawai'i
  • Pago Pago, American Samoa
  • Suva, Fiji
  • Nouméa, New Caledonia
  • Sydney, Australia
I can address Kahului, Maui. Definitely options for snorkeling. Opportunities to catch a boat at Maalaea harbor are good, including stops at Molokini Crater and Turtle Town. If you do the February cruise, you will be in Hawaii with the humpback whales - which can be seen in the above area. The Harbor is about a 15 minute drive from the cruise port.

Try a search for the other ports on Cruise Critic for comments by cruisers from companies that have a longer history at these stops, and Viator or TripAdvisor to get an idea of excursions/ “things to do” in these locations. Or look for scuba/ dive shops in these areas, as they often serve more fly-in guests than cruisers.
Sounds great! Thank you!

I did snorkeling excursions with DCL on both the Western and Eastern Caribbean itineraries. They were open waters and my kids were 8 and 6 on our first cruise. The people running them made sure the kids had their safety gear on properly and insisted the kids were supervised at all times, so my wife and I went in the water with one kid each. We felt quite safe and the kids loved the sea life.

We used Kirsten from “Private Guided Tours – Bonaire" and on Curacao, Back2Nature Curacao with Maartje.
Highly recommend both. Neither were pure snorkeling, but they might have those options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter