Snorkeling at Rainbow Reef Lagoon

NanMar

Mouseketeer
how old does a child have to be to go snorkeling at rainbow reef lagoon? Any helpful tips for a 5 year old? Thanks!

how old does a child have to be to go snorkeling at rainbow reef lagoon? Any helpful tips for a 5 year old? Thanks!

I am here now so went to check for you. I had to ask as there is no age limit on a sign. I was told there is no age limit so long as the child can swim unassisted.

Everyone is given a small life vest, and a snorkel, so the child needs to know how to use a snorkel. There does seem to be a one size for child and one size for adult as far as snorkels and life jackets go.

The child will not be able to touch the bottom once off the starting ledge in the reef.

If you child can swim and use a snorkel then I do recommend this experience as the fish are very colorful, though you can also see them aquarium style through the glass on the side.

I forgot to add that it cost $20 per adult and $15 per child but you get your wrist band stamped and then you can also get snorkeling gear from Makiki Joes on the beach and snorkel in the lagoon for no extra cost for the rest of day or return to rainbow reef later that day. We only did it once and my nine year old only lasted about 15 minutes, us adults probably lasted at most 25 minutes (it's not that big).

So if you are there for a number of days and if you really like snorkeling and are going to use it in the lagoon then the length of stay hire ($40 for adults. And $30 for kids) might be worthwhile.

We were there a few years ago when my sons were 4 and 5 and both went in rainbow reef. Near the entrance there is a shallower area where they could swim but stand up if needed. Neither one were brave enough to leave that area for the deeper part. We were there at a really quiet time of year and the cast members were really helpful with the kids. Surprisingly a lot of fish still came in the shallower area. I recommend a length of stay pass, that way there's no pressure on your child to try and figure it all out in one go. Our boys would go in for 10 min at a time and then go warm up (rainbow reef is freezing when you're used to the swimming pool temps!) and go back several times a day. I will say, don't have high expectations for a 5 year old. We live on the beach and our kids are in and out of the water constantly. Still at age 7 and 8 snorkelling can be a tricky thing for them. Helps to get a mask before you go and let your child play with it in the bathtub to get used to the feel. Also if your child takes a mask down to the beach at Aulani try renting a boogie board too- here at home our kids learned first by laying on a boogie board (while you're holding it) and looking down in the water with a mask. They're more relaxed when they're not trying to swim as well. Good luck!

I have one kid (7) who I know will love it and the other (6) I am not so sure so I love the length of stay pass as I figure the 5th time he watches his sister he will start to get into and there is no pressure that way. My 7 year old is a great swimmer and my 6 year old is not so I am super happy to hear there is a shallow area also. That is great information.

My 4 year old and 7 year were able to use the rainbow reef alone. I wish I wouldn't have paid the money for 2 adults to accompany them. The biggest challenge was they are not supposed to use their feet to swim, but the life guards were very good and kept reminding them.

Can you bring your own horse collar vest or pool noodle into the reef? Lots of reasons why the answer might be no, but never seen any specific mention of it.

I have one kid (7) who I know will love it and the other (6) I am not so sure so I love the length of stay pass as I figure the 5th time he watches his sister he will start to get into and there is no pressure that way. My 7 year old is a great swimmer and my 6 year old is not so I am super happy to hear there is a shallow area also. That is great information.

Just be warned, the water is COLD! We bought length of stay passes last trip, and we only used it once. After about 15 minutes in the water everyone wanted out and no one wanted to return. They just looked at the fish through the glass after that.

Yes, the water is COLD! They let my son test the temp of the water. He got ankle deep in the water and immediately decided there was NO way he was going to go any farther than that!

Yes the water is cold BUT I actually found that the water in the lazy river was FREEZING... to the point that I didn't enjoy doing it at all! Maybe it was just the day but I never wanted to go back in...such a shame because we adore the lazy river at Blizzard Beach!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter