Snacks you feel don't live up to the hype

Turkey legs - I tried them twice with the same result - just sinewy, stringy, and overly salty.

Zebra domes. Now, they're not bad by any means, but they are absolutely overhyped. I think people thought "THESE HAVE THE TINIEST SMIDGE OF ALCOHOL IN THEM, THEREFORE THEY'RE AMAZING ZOMG!!!!1!!1!!".

Just my two cents.

What is the snack you just don't get the hype over? I know this has been posted before, but it has been a while so why not get some new takes. (I know Dole Whip is coming.)

Personally, mine are:

Schoolbread. I don't know what the excitement is over this treat. Stale dry roll with a dab of pudding. :sad2: Nope, I'll pass.

Churros. Don't get me wrong, one of my favorites at Disneyland, they do it right. Hot and fresh. WDW, is another story. Old, hard, and just plain sad.

Newest Addition: Egg Roll cart. Oh my goodness. What do people see in these greasy things? Yeah, I wasted $9.50 for two egg rolls and raised my fist cursing all those who said they were worth it. :rotfl: (Ok, I didn't really do that. But I shook my head saying people who like these are nuts. lol)

*edited spelling
I agree regarding all three, school bread, churros, and egg rolls. No for pineapple Dole Whip for me BUT the raspberry Dole Whip is amazing. I could have one a day!

I used to love carrot cake cookies, but the last one I had, just a few months ago, had a different filling, more like gummy, tasteless glue.

Boy do I hope you just had a bad batch. I had these a few years ago and have been looking forward to it....

Then again, I like both zebra domes and school bread, so apparently I have bad taste anyway!

School Bread. Bland and dry.
Cupcakes. I haven't had many, but the ones I've had are dry and way too much frosting.

Most krispie treats. The only ones I'll buy are the ones at Big Top Souvenirs. I don't know why, but they always seem fresher.

Churros. I just….never liked them. Like you can give me whatever sauce or new sprinkles but I still will not like it.
The one I cannot comment on is the Cheshire Cat tails as I’ve never tried them.

Dole Whip

It's just a flavored frozen dessert, not even a unique flavor. Also super low melt point.

Been thinking about this for awhile. How come there are no imagineers for the food? I want food at Disney parks that makes me want to go back even if the rides aren't running. Werther's at Epcot. Always want to go there. Ghirardelli's at DL? Never miss it. Cupcakes? They ought to be to die for. Taste as good as they look but they are always a disappointment. Candy at Disney ought to be the best you ever had. Instead it's the most bland stuff you can find. DCL used Disney candy for awhile as their gift from your host turning down your bed at night. That didn't last long as cruisers piled in with "why bother if your not going to do something worthwhile." They switched up to national brands quickly. You can always find a cheaper way to do things but when you ruin "the thing" then no one really wins. We eat a lot less in the parks then we might if the food/snacks were better.

Point is Disney ought to go for making snacks (and the food in general) that makes you want to go back to the parks. "How could I get them to eat/spend more there?" Raise the quality, make it consistent and make it memorable! Don't pander to five year olds with no taste. The adults brought the money give them a burger at the Launching Pad that they won't forget and would go back to have again. Where's Walt or Roy when we really need them to step in! 😉

Been thinking about this for awhile. How come there are no imagineers for the food? I want food at Disney parks that makes me want to go back even if the rides aren't running. Werther's at Epcot. Always want to go there. Ghirardelli's at DL? Never miss it. Cupcakes? They ought to be to die for. Taste as good as they look but they are always a disappointment. Candy at Disney ought to be the best you ever had. Instead it's the most bland stuff you can find. DCL used Disney candy for awhile as their gift from your host turning down your bed at night. That didn't last long as cruisers piled in with "why bother if your not going to do something worthwhile." They switched up to national brands quickly. You can always find a cheaper way to do things but when you ruin "the thing" then no one really wins. We eat a lot less in the parks then we might if the food/snacks were better.

Point is Disney ought to go for making snacks (and the food in general) that makes you want to go back to the parks. "How could I get them to eat/spend more there?" Raise the quality, make it consistent and make it memorable! Don't pander to five year olds with no taste. The adults brought the money give them a burger at the Launching Pad that they won't forget and would go back to have again. Where's Walt or Roy when we really need them to step in! 😉
Do you want a handwich? Because this is how you get a handwich.

The thing for me is that you walk up to the front counter in the cupcake or confectionary places and everything is so pretty and beautifully designed and just a feast for the eyes. Rarely if ever does the item taste as good as it looks. The colours and materials used for making it look so pretty just aren't the best tasting. I always find the cupcakes disappointing.

I agree with the poster who said churros (except for the ones at Nomad Lounge).
School bread - I liked it, but it wasn't as amazing as I had heard. The rest of my family disliked it.
Zebra Domes - same as the bread. They were not bad, but not that awesome either.

I actually love the cheeseburger egg rolls and rice krispie treats.

Would agree. After reading all the hype over school bread, we didn't get the hype. Certainly on the dry side.
Never had a turkey leg, and no interest.
In general, we don't do snacks at MK, except my wife love dole whip, so its a must do every trip.

I agree with the poster who said churros (except for the ones at Nomad Lounge).
School bread - I liked it, but it wasn't as amazing as I had heard. The rest of my family disliked it.
Zebra Domes - same as the bread. They were not bad, but not that awesome either.

I think most on here will universally agree WDW's churros stink. BUT ... you nailed it! The one exception is Nomad Lounge. They are about as close as you'll get to DLR. (I know others will say churros at both places, they just aren't fans. I think they are the school bread eaters.):rotfl2:

Now when I go to DLR, a churro is a must! And you better believe I will make sure my churro just came off that little machine hot and fresh. ::yes::

Oh, I LOVE rice krispie treats. I can just make them better at home in 5 minutes for a fraction of the cost of one small piece in WDW. No point in buying them there.

We tried school bread about 10 years ago. It was really good. Year or two later., dryer dough, less cream. OK, but nothing thrilling. Now we don't bother.

I don't like the zebra domes at boma.
Yup, those zebra domes are terrible. One bite and done for me. Bleh!

I am so glad I'm not the only one who dislikes the school bread. I tried it once. Not again. Turkey legs and Rice Krispy treats are not that good either. While the Mickey Bar is the same as I can get in the grocery store, I still love them. Just nothing special about them. I will get a Dole Whip but I can't get it in the pineapple juice and usually can't eat it all as it is just too tart mostly.

Now, my favorite snack is the milk chocolate caramel square with sea salt in Karamel Kuche. Also, they have some Werther's candy flavors that aren't always found in other stores regularly (or at least where I shop) so my son gets some of those.

I love cupcakes. They used to be better but lately they haven't been as tasty. When HS had the Darth Vader and the other specialty cupcakes, those were better.

Zebra Domes--- meh. Nothing to write home about but they aren't too bad.

I haven't bought a churro there yet as I didn't figure it would be anything special. The pretzels are average also.

I was in WDW when they changed the recipe for the carrot cake cookie. Had one at the beginning of my trip, and it was amazing! Three days later, after the cashier raved about the new recipe, I sat outside with one and about cried. They took out the pineapple and added raisins instead. The filling is more like whipped cream now. It’s just sad now. Not remotely worth my time or money.

We love the wrapped Rice Krispy Treats because we can take them home in our bags and eat them a week later and feel like we are still there at the park!

But I have often found the prettier the dessert looks, the less thrilled I will be with the taste!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter