Smugglers Run virtual queue...?

jodybird511

DIS Veteran
Can anyone tell me how long the Smuggler's Run was operating exclusively by virtual queue/boarding groups? Trying to gauge how long we will be looking at ROTR being crazy busy to require the daily boarding groups. Or do folks anticipate that it will remain that way right up until they implement Fastpass for ROTR? We are going for a couple of days in late June, so trying to anticipate what we will be looking at at that point.

To be honest no one knows what is going to happen. Smugglers Run did not use boarding groups or a virtual queue. In addition to that, part of the reason why the virtual queue exists is because the ride is not yet seasoned and goes down frequently. If I was to make a guess, virtual queue will be around for as long as it takes for the ride to run reliably at capacity. At that point they may add Fastpass or just have standby or perhaps even something different. At this point I would say plan on boarding groups for your trip, but be prepared for there to be a change.

No one saw $20 Maxpass coming so who knows what can happen between now and then.

I don't think Smuggler's Run itself ever had a virtual queue. When Galaxy's Edge first opened you needed a reservation to get into the land, and once in the land you could ride Smuggler's Run standby. After Galaxy's Edge had been open about three weeks the requirement to have a reservation to enter the land was dropped. And nobody has any idea how long the boarding groups will be kept for ROFR. Or whether or not it will ever get Fastpass.

The Smugglers Run and RotR situations aren’t really comparable, so I don’t think info about Smugglers Run will predict anything about the future of RotR.

No one can say how long boarding groups will be in use for RotR, but I’d plan on them being in use this summer. I say that because nothing has occurred that would give any evidence to a major change in the ride’s operation between now and the end of June.

The good news is boarding groups may not be as tough to get by the time your trip happens. They are usually all distributed by one minute after park open, but today they lasted about seven or eight minutes, and back up groups lasted much longer. That means everyone through the gate at park open who wanted to ride, should have been able to get a boarding group.

Thanks, all. Appreciate all the info. We are WDW regulars but infrequent DLR visitors, so I'm much less familiar with what has been going on at SWGE in CA.

I don't think Smuggler's Run itself ever had a virtual queue. When Galaxy's Edge first opened you needed a reservation to get into the land, and once in the land you could ride Smuggler's Run standby. After Galaxy's Edge had been open about three weeks the requirement to have a reservation to enter the land was dropped. And nobody has any idea how long the boarding groups will be kept for ROFR. Or whether or not it will ever get Fastpass.

If it ever did it might have been the first day or so, it wasn't long if it did.

The lines, other then when it first opened, never materialized like they thought it would. IIRC they actually fired a VP over it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter