• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Smugglers run, kids as pilot

Hot take; MF is one of the most poorly thought-through ride designs ever. If everyone can't be pilot, nobody should be pilot. Everyone but the pilots have extremely limited views of the action. You can't choose a different route to fly, you can only bump into less things. The number of containers you pick up seems to be entire dependent on the number of things you bump into. The ride is not worth more than about a 45 min wait IMHO. Let the Wookie fly the MF and have the gunners and engineers be more than just button-pushers.

Last edited:
Hot take; MF is one of the most poorly thought-through ride designs ever. If everyone can't be pilot, nobody should be pilot. Everyone but the pilots have extremely limited views of the action. You can't choose a different route to fly, you can only bump into less things. The number of containers you pick up seems to be entire dependent on the number of things you bump into. The ride is not worth more than about a 45 min wait IMHO. Let the Wookie fly the MF and let have the gunners and engineers be more than just button-pushers.

Great idea. I've only been able to ride it once and we weren't the pilots. Next time I'm waiting for the pilot. That said, I still think Star Tours is 1000 times better.

Our last trip we had 2 mid thirty adults as pilots. Your 6 yo pilot couldn't have been worse. Not sure it they were trying to, but I think they hit everything you could hit.

Our last trip we had 2 mid thirty adults as pilots. Your 6 yo pilot couldn't have been worse. Not sure it they were trying to, but I think they hit everything you could hit.
Right!!?!? 😂😂😂 That was totally us, and we’ve flown plenty of flight sims, RC planes, and actual airplanes. But dang there aren’t that many obstacles in the sky and I’m not usually flying through buildings. I do like @Lumpy1106 idea of letting the Wookie fly!

There is a YouTube video out there of a group of 6 who never touched anything. The video showed their hands up the entire time. They flew very well and scored well.
Hmm. I was planning to ask to be Engineer next time and simply not do anything, but if we’re assigned Pilot I think I’ll take it. Jump to hyperspace and take my hands off the controls!

Hmm. I was planning to ask to be Engineer next time and simply not do anything, but if we’re assigned Pilot I think I’ll take it. Jump to hyperspace and take my hands off the controls!
You have to never touch anything at all. That way the system thinks there are no passengers and the computer takes over. I imagine if you physically do the jump to hyperspace, it won’t be a relaxing Chewy-controlled ride.

You have to never touch anything at all. That way the system thinks there are no passengers and the computer takes over. I imagine if you physically do the jump to hyperspace, it won’t be a relaxing Chewy-controlled ride.
It couldn’t be worse than our flight when I tried hard to fly well :rotfl2:!

My kids are always the pilots (9 and 11) but some people were sitting behind us complaining the whole ride when they were younger. I finally told them to shut up. When we exited I asked for a re-ride due to them spoiling it and the CM put us back on with no others. If you don't want to ride with kids, do what others have suggested. Ask to be the pilots.

I've ridden with good pilots and bad pilots. Other than being smoother, didn't really notice much of a difference. ON that ride, hitting things seems to be half the fun.

ca6e3d1ceaa6e94960c6649953e1b40ab5aa10534c261a8d60489393adbfc304_1.jpg

On this topic, I know there's height restrictions but I've also heard kids still couldn't reach the buttons? Can anyone give an idea as to height / age of reaching everything? Are some positions easier to reach than others? Wondering about my 4 year old 🤔

I have never been on this ride (maybe our next trip) but the idea of just crashing into everything seems hilarious to me. I'm not saying I WOULD do it...but I'm not saying I won't either....lol

I have never been on this ride (maybe our next trip) but the idea of just crashing into everything seems hilarious to me. I'm not saying I WOULD do it...but I'm not saying I won't either....lol
I rode it this past January after high anticipation and I got stuck mashing a button in a very uncomfy seat. I think it was a one and done for me, definitely not riding it again

On this topic, I know there's height restrictions but I've also heard kids still couldn't reach the buttons? Can anyone give an idea as to height / age of reaching everything? Are some positions easier to reach than others? Wondering about my 4 year old 🤔
My last ride 🤢 a mother and her child were pilots. Child was approximately 4 who likely just cleared height requirement ... appeared to not be able to reach/work the necessary control to operate the ship. We did everything but roll over. It was absolutely awful. This is our 2 time for this to happen and I feel SO BAD for folks who might not get to ride again to see how fun it can be.

The other positions buttons will light up at different levels. A smaller child could reach the lower buttons, they just have to push when they light up. You can kinda see the buttons in relation to the seats here. The blue and white square ones are lit up.

Side-Control-Panel-Millennium-Falcon-Smugglers-Run-Ride-Guide-650x408.jpg

https://guide2wdw.com/

Something about this ride activates my toxic gamer lizard brain when I get stuck with randos, I'm ashamed to admit. Probably says a lot that the most fun I ever had on it was when I was solo, and I politely asked the CM if I could be pilot because I'd never done it before (single rider always gets stuck as Engineer, the worst role by far). They straight up gave me my own cockpit where I got to fly it and every other role was AI controlled. If I could do it that way every time it would probably be my favorite ride.

I got stuck with a “toxic” family of four. Dad and teen girl were pilots. Mom and son were gunners. Dad and son were yelling at teen girl the entire time about how bad she was piloting. Girl was yelling back almost crying. Mom was going “pew pew pew” the entire time.

Did it take away my enjoyment? Ya…a little. It wasn’t the fact that the pilots sucked, it was more the yelling back and forth and having no regard for me.

I wish I would’ve just asked for pilot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter