Smugglers run, how are the seat assignments given out?

My heart sinks when small children are given the pilot cards, particularly if they are too young to follow the basic instructions. The ride is quite different if the pilots are good.
In December 2020 we had a pod to ourselves with DD and DSiL, who of course were the pilots. They're millenials and video game savvy, so I was prepared for some good flying - but quickly realized they were intentionally crashing the ship into everything and anything they could!

We were a party of 5 and had a single rider with us both times. I was the only one who knew there were different positions the first time. The CM assigned us in the order we went in; DS21 and GF were the pilots (they were terrible), DH and DS19 were the gunners, and the single rider and I were engineers, which is what I wanted due to motion sickness. The second time we knew, and the kids decided DH and DS19 would be the pilots and DS21 and GF the gunners, so that is the order we went in.

Unfortunately without being a pilot the ride becomes just another immersive queue. Gunners and Engineers are an experience I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. I’d rather spend my time elsewhere in the park.
This is coming from a massive Star Wars fan too.

Unfortunately without being a pilot the ride becomes just another immersive queue. Gunners and Engineers are an experience I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. I’d rather spend my time elsewhere in the park.
This is coming from a massive Star Wars fan too.
I agree that there's not much for the Engineer to do, but if you've already been pilot and gunner (and especially if riding with other family/friends), I didn't mind being the engineer on a repeat ride because A) it gave my other family members a chance to be pilot and B) I could focus more on what was happening outside the window and notice things I hadn't seen before when frantically trying to fly that hunk of junk.

I went on Smugglers twice with my family of four and always requested to be pilots, even if it meant waiting a few minutes. At least for me it's worth waiting if it means I don't have a little kid or someone disinterested in the ride as the pilot. The first time we went on there was a couple as the engineers and the guy kept complaining throughout the ride that we didn't get a high enough score for his liking though, which was...interesting.

I agree that there's not much for the Engineer to do, but if you've already been pilot and gunner (and especially if riding with other family/friends), I didn't mind being the engineer on a repeat ride because A) it gave my other family members a chance to be pilot and B) I could focus more on what was happening outside the window and notice things I hadn't seen before when frantically trying to fly that hunk of junk.

Oh don’t get me wrong, if I was in a group of friends or family I wouldn’t mind gunner or engineer, just not with strangers.

When we rode it two weeks ago they asked for our group size, let us decide from our group of 4 who would be the pilot and gunners and then brought in two single riders for the engineers.

When we rode it two weeks ago they asked for our group size, let us decide from our group of 4 who would be the pilot and gunners and then brought in two single riders for the engineers.
Well of course. With a group that is taking 2/3 of the cabin, they're only going to assign the rows, not the positions. You can obviously switch seats around between the group members, as long as you're not inter-mingling with the other party of two.

Is it similar to Star Tours for motion sickness? I’m wondering if I should try it or not. ST is the only ride I will never do again, ever!

Is it similar to Star Tours for motion sickness? I’m wondering if I should try it or not. ST is the only ride I will never do again, ever!
It can be about the same or less depending on the pilots. I can do star tours 1 time each visit and found when I was engineer on MF I could only do it once but this trip I discovered gunner can just look straight and hold down a button which helped my motion sickness ALot! So I recommend trying as gunner and just hold down the button.

I'm not sure about motion sickness, per se, which for me would be more about being in any simulator, but I can say MFSR can be rougher, jerkier, because there are humans ~piloting instead of a program. I never grip the arm rests on ST, but grabbed the handrail on MFSR a couple of times.

I prefer engineer so I can look around and enjoy the overall atmosphere more. A more active role requires more concentration and I kind of get tunnel vision and miss out on the greater experience. I have never had a problem trading to get an engineer position.

We went last year and ODD and DH were the pilots so YDD (she is 8 now) wants to pilot it ( I told the girls, no way could they both be pilots), if there is 4 of us, is there a fairly good chance she will get the chance to do it?

We went last year and ODD and DH were the pilots so YDD (she is 8 now) wants to pilot it ( I told the girls, no way could they both be pilots), if there is 4 of us, is there a fairly good chance she will get the chance to do it?
Well, yeah, there is a good chance because it only takes one person in your party of four to get one of the two piloting positions. (Left pilot is easier.) Then, if it isn't her, the other person trades with her. It's possible that if there's a party of two in front of you, they'll get assigned the two pilot roles, leaving you guys the other four spots, but if any of you are in the front for assignments, you'll get pilot.
I also saw a few people wait to get pilot or to avoid it. The CMs were more accommodating than I would have expected, since you can see the issue if every party says they want to wait for pilot.

after the Covid closure they were sending in just your party, and we had 3 and nobody wanted to be the pilot. I ended up being both pilots. The thing is not set up to have only one pilot...

I definitely prefer being a pilot. Gunner is ok. Engineer is just boring.

My Dad is a terrible right pilot though. I left piloted against him last week and he kept saying his "wasn't working." Of course it isn't working if you barely touch it! I really want to try right pilot, but I expect it will be a while before that happens. I should have taken the spot the second time we rode with him, because he only did slightly better.
We have 6 in our family, so I'm going to be VERY strategic with our first flight as a family. DH can pilot. ODS prefers being a gunner, I think.
Maybe we can finagle two rides, and let the kids pilot one of them. The little boys will just love pushing buttons as they light up.
DD could go either way. Piloting might be too much pressure for her. I don't know.

It is really interesting that some people don't like being a pilot. I guess it makes sense that all the positions aren't as interactive...

Well, yeah, there is a good chance because it only takes one person in your party of four to get one of the two piloting positions. (Left pilot is easier.) Then, if it isn't her, the other person trades with her. It's possible that if there's a party of two in front of you, they'll get assigned the two pilot roles, leaving you guys the other four spots, but if any of you are in the front for assignments, you'll get pilot.
I also saw a few people wait to get pilot or to avoid it. The CMs were more accommodating than I would have expected, since you can see the issue if every party says they want to wait for pilot.
Awesome. Thank you. We went during the Lighter months last year and we didn't have to share a cabin, so I wasn't sure.

Pilots have the most to do, and right hand pilot gets to pull the hyperspace lever. Yelling out "Punch it Chewie" is recommended
The first time we flew it was just my sister and I and I was the right pilot. Her yelling Punch it, Chewie, and then getting to pull the lever for the jump to hyperspace is one of my all-time favorite Disney memories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter