smoking onboard

There is no non-smoking side of the ship as far as verandahs are concerned. I believe the starboard side of the open decks is non-smoking, and I would hope that a CM would agree to help you if someone is smoking where they shouldn't be.

As a smoker, I consider myself to be very conscientious of non-smokers and will gladly put out a cigarette if politely asked. If I am near a group of people, even on the smoking side of the ship, I will usually ask if it's ok with them if I smoke. I try to pay attention to those with verandahs near mine, and try to smoke when they are not outside. Granted, not everyone is like that, but I would hope that most smokers these days, would agree to work out something about the verandahs, if asked politely.

There is not a policy in effect about which side of the ship is smoking when it concerns verandahs, only open decks 4, 9, and 10. All verandahs are open for smoking. Not saying whethre or not I agree with it. Just stating that the policy only concerns public decks.

That ashtry can easily be taken off the wall and placed on your table. We found this out on our last cruise. We realized it's how they empty them.

I actually bring one of those old-fashioned ashtrays that has the top on it that spins. Then the ashes don't blow all over.

I would very nicely let you know that I will be done in a few minutes because I too paid extra for my Cabin so that I too could enjoy the sites, read on the veranda, and have a smoke....

But I also would attempt to smoke less if someone nicely asked me to do so, and still repected my right to be there to grab a quick smoke.

Thank you. That's nicely put. I can tolerate that - since I'm sure my DH (the smoker who has had a heart attack, kidney removed for cancer, and bypass surgery) will probably be grabbing a smoke out on our verandah also. I don't mind sharing. I guess I should add that I'm an ex-smoker (28 years now). But thanks to all who can get along with us non-smokers :mickeyjum - and Mickey thanks you too :smickey:

I usually try to avoid these discussions..... but you asked for a smoker's input.
If I were on my verandah, where I am allowed to smoke, and someone asked me to put it out.....I would not. I'm sorry. I paid the extra money for that right. And I'm also not going to put out a cigarette that I paid money for either. I could go off on a tangent about how wrong I think it is for our government to over-tax cigarettes using the excuse of the costs related to health care, but they don't over-tax alcohol which kills more innocent people each year than cigarettes ever could....but that's a whole different thread. Point being, I pay way more than I should have to pay for that cigarette, and I won't waste it.

What I would do, is tell my neighbor that it only takes me 7 minutes (yes, I've timed it, and mine are the 100's...long) to smoke one and that after that, I'd be done & gone.

:surfweb: i normally do not put in my thoughts on these sort of things either, however i have seen this posted several times and keep thinking about it.
wether or not i am a smoker is not the issue. what is the issue seems to be, if asked, would a smoker butt out. i find myself wondering the oposite. if a non smoker was asked to lite up would you? really the same issue, you want to enjoy yourself and feel all around you are enjoying their time in the same way. would you, the non smoker, agree to do what your balcaney partners request of you. think about it. if the answer is 'no' than do you really have the right to ask them to give up what they do.
smokers and non smokers pay the same for their rooms. smokers get them so they can watch the sun set and have a quite smoke. non smokers get them so they can watch the sun set and not be bothered by smoke.:confused3 you can not tell one of these two groups they have to now give up what they paid for. untill disney makes that dissicion for us, we will debate this forever.
i agree that if asked, it would be nice for the smoker to butt out, however, if it is their 15 minutes to relax before dinner, they want that smoke and will probable not be so willing to do so. we should all just understand that that smokes will only take about 6-7 minutes and most smokers, not all but most, are not chain smokers.
please do not send me angry emails about this. its just my thought. really, i do not care either way. smoke, don't smoke, you will not bother me.

tinkerone

Have a cousin who loves to smell the smoke but doesn't smoke......odd. Then again some of the words that roll out of peoples mouth also makes it unpleasant.........esp to children. Much easier to wash out the oder than having your child ask what is a MF or what does GD mean, heard it all this week, luckily my nephew didn't go out much on the balconey

I thought the polite response that was first received was the best way to handle it. I asked the question but I would never request a person not smoke unless they were chain smoking and making it impossible for others to be outside ever. We had someone next to last cruise that smoked outside a lot but because of the night breeze it never bothered me. I used to smoke so I am not a rabid non-smoker but I do enjoy eating without the smell of smoke and I can't sleep in a smoking room because of my asthma . It was easier when I was younger because I did not yet have asthma. Just last week after a few drinks the urge to smoke was strong when I smelled someone else's menthol cigarette. So while I asked the question to see the answers I would not be the one to make you quit, unless you were related to me then I would sick the kids on you.:rotfl2:

Judy

tinkerone

Have a cousin who loves to smell the smoke but doesn't smoke......odd. Then again some of the words that roll out of peoples mouth also makes it unpleasant.........esp to children. Much easier to wash out the oder than having your child ask what is a MF or what does GD mean, heard it all this week, luckily my nephew didn't go out much on the balconey

Wow...good point! Maybe now, after reading this, I can see the "other side" of it, because I wouldn't tolerate having to listen to language like that very well.
What I need to do, is to quit smoking and then I wouldn't have to constantly go into hiding....which is what I do. I really, honestly, try to go out of my way to not bother anyone with it...even and maybe especially my family. I like to say that my non-smoking husband has me well-trained. But I do get touchy about the whole balcony thing, because it IS allowed out there. So far, I really haven't ever seen or heard any neighbors around me....and in looking back on it, if I did know someone was there, I always moved to the far side (away from the person) and we've always had a suite, so there's more room to move away.....or I finish up and go inside.

I've been on the balcony with someone who was smoking as wasn't bothered by the smoke. I guess it all depends whether you're docked or moving and which way the wind is blowing.

That ashtry can easily be taken off the wall and placed on your table. We found this out on our last cruise. We realized it's how they empty them.
We always just ask the room attendant for an extra ashtray for the table. They always bring one right away.

That's what you call taking something out of context.

The portions of your post that precede and follow the text I quoted have no substantial impact on the text I was referring to, so not really.

At any rate, you're most certainly entitled to your opinion. It just makes me sad.

Cheers!

:love:

Just curious as to what others think....:surfweb:

I don't have a problem with it as smokers are in a designated smoking area. Cruisers should be aware that the verandahs are designated as such and plan accordingly. Disney even sells cigarettes on the ship. Now outside of a designated area it's fair to comment.

If someone wants to smoke on their verandah for 10 minutes fine. I see no reason to make them feel bad. What's the point? I don't even feel others have the right to comment. Smokers are within their rights to do so. On the other hand smokers should be aware that others want to enjoy their verandah too and should not camp out with the ashtray for long periods of time. With a little politeness everyone should be able to watch the waves roll by without incident.

Linda:rolleyes1

I think the problem is that there is no definition of "room A's space" versus "room B's space". Here's what I mean: Two families both pay for rooms with balconies so that they can enjoy the outdoors -- one family has members who smoke. Fine. BUT their smoke is not contained/confined to their own balcony and suddenly the non-smokers must deal with the unwanted smell/smoke. If smokers could keep their smoke and its smell confined to their own balcony, there would be no issue. But they can't, and so I do suggest that there is a need for consideration from the smokers for those who they are bothering.

I have never smoked, but I married a smoker -- my DH quit many years ago though. But because I was around cigarette smoke for so long, I personally have no problem with people smoking where they are allowed, but I do think sometimes smokers forget that their habit is not contained to just the small area where they are standing or sitting.

I believe it is the port side of the ship where smoking is allowed. To me, the rooms with balconies on the starboard side should then be non-smoking outdoors as well. Keep all the smoking to one side of the ship. Then everyone is accommodated.

I don't know the figures, but I'm sure that less than 50% of those who book a balcony are smokers. So I don't know why Disney doesn't act on this, as I know they are losing $ from non-smokers who would book a balcony unit but won't because of the fear they won't be able to enjoy the outdoors part of their room. I know, I'm one :)

If someone wants to smoke on their verandah for 10 minutes fine. I see no reason to make them feel bad. What's the point? I don't even feel others have the right to comment. Smokers are within their rights to do so. On the other hand smokers should be aware that others want to enjoy their verandah too and should not camp out with the ashtray for long periods of time. With a little politeness everyone should be able to watch the waves roll by without incident.

Linda:rolleyes1

I guess this is how I feel about it. If smoke drifts across to our verandah, I am now smoking, regardless of whether I wanted to or not. I have NO PROBLEM at all being elsewhere while folks on the next verandah have the occasional cigarette, as long as there are reasonable times where I could be on a smoke-free verandah.

It's all well and good to talk about rights, but part of the assumption is that the excercising of one person's rights does not inappropriately impinge upon another person's.

:flower3: i can see where this whole blog could get out of hand so i should stay out of it and shut up, but i wouldn't. i never could learn.
lets say i am going on a cruise with my dh and he has high blood pressure that resulted in one heart attack already. lets say that disney, in their wisdom, sat he and i at a table with 2 adults and three children for dinner. do we have the right to ask you to have your children to sit quitely during dinner because they would be distrubing us. it could be a health issue if dh were to get excited. how would you feel about that? would it be within our rights to ask this of your children when they to are on vacation? would it make your dinner less enjoyable?
in this situation who is right and who is wrong? same situation, different sinerio. i see no right or wrong answer. everyone has rights. why should the smoker have to stop smoking becasue a non smoker wants him to. the non smoker knows what could happen going in. you know you may be next to a smoker. with that, the smoker can not possible impinge upon the non smokers rights. those rights were taken by disney, not the smoker. the issue is with them, disney, not your smoking neibour.
again, maybe time to take it up with disney and not blame the smoker for ruining your vacation.
and as an added note, not once did i smell smoke from my veranda while i was on my 7 day cruise even though their were smokers on the next veranda and we all sat out alot. i find myself wondering how much of this is a non issue. do people REALLY smell smoke or is it just knowing its there?
just my thoughs, please do not make me regret writing them down. i think you are all nice people but i have read some blogs that tore a person to threads for little reason. the only real answer to this is courtisy. the actual issue will never be resolved.:confused3

tinkerone-

I think you're right--everyone (and I include myself here, 'everyone' in this case is not code for 'smokers') just needs to excercise courtesy is all. I guess that was my point about rights. If we understand everyone's got them, things should be fine! Frankly, I'm not too worried about it, since I've hardly ever run into anyone at multiple times at Disney properties who've ruined my trip!

I was a smoker for a while, so if I come across a little on the harsh side, it's probably just the zeal of the converted!;)

I do not usually reply to these typ of threads because I do not like to debate, but since it was actually posted by a smoker, I have a question??????
Would the smoker light up or not if they came out and on the verandah next door you had a child whom was already standing out there? Or would you be sure to knock and ask the parent to remove the child and close their verandah door? I just asked, because if my DD fell to the floor with an Asthma attack as she has before and we ended up hospitalized for days at a time because someone smoked in an area where she was, would you just watch as she was air lifted off the ship and think, they should not have gotton a verandah or would you actually feel bad? :confused3 Just wondering....... since we choose Disney and not other cruiselines with the hope we have less chances of encountering this.

As one poster said about "yes you can kill yourself over-eatting", yes this is true, but as long as one is over eatting killing themselves, it does not effect others. If others drink themselves to death, as long as they are not driving or beating a love one, not a problem of mine.

I do think Disney should seperate smoking and non-smoking rooms. I hear the navigators verandah may be an alternative to contain some of the smoke. Yes, you paid extra $ to get a verandah, but the non-smoking breastfeeding mom whom got the verandah so she could sit out there while her baby naps did too. What is the middle ground? I always go for safety. Maybe Disney can do smoking rooms and non-smoking ones and if the smoking ones are not full at the time of the cruise, then offer them as a discount.

We once got a non-smoking room at CBC in WDW and the previous people smoked in the room. We could smell it upon opening the door. We tried to stay there, but as my DD went into a coughing spell, we had to change rooms. What is the answer??? Anyone????:hippie:

I just asked, because if my DD fell to the floor with an Asthma attack as she has before and we ended up hospitalized for days at a time because someone smoked in an area where she was, would you just watch as she was air lifted off the ship and think, they should not have gotton a verandah or would you actually feel bad? :confused3 Just wondering....... since we choose Disney and not other cruiselines with the hope we have less chances of encountering this.

If my child would drop like a rock and need to be airlifted off the ship if she whiffed smoke, i would FOR SURE get an inside cabin. And the fact that you know that could very well happen to your DD (according to your post) yet still choose to get a vernanda, your rolling the dice on your child's health. Period. And yes, I would feel bad for the child who's parent did not take their life threatening illness seriously.

With that said, No I would not light up a smoke if I notice ANYONE on the verandas directly down wind of me, right away... after about 30 minutes or so, I most likely would.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter