Smoking Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney can and will do whatever it wants within the law. They must have done a financial analysis to see any impact. The smoking decision though, is a losing monetary proposition for them. I do think there are people who are chain smokers who may change their plans, but I do not see any new family saying let's go to Disney since it is Smoke free.
Keeping this in mind, I think Disney "may" have done this keeping guest health in mind. This is one decision that I give kudos to Disney for. Making a decision that is right for the guests is what the old Disney mentality was and I am glad to see it so.

I'm quite happy about this - smoke, from cigarettes or vaping, makes my eyes water and gives me a migraine.

I'm especially happy vaping is including! Not at Disney, but my husband and I were at a convention several years ago (Dragon Con) and we were inside, waiting in a line. A woman nearby to us was vaping and every time someone asked her to stop, she refused, yelling, "It's just Vapor!!!."

Her JustVapor did indeed give me a migraine. So glad I won't have to deal with that at Disney
Smokers/vapors should understand that it's often times not a personal offense when a non-smoker complains. Case in point: My own mother (RIP) would get in the car with me, wearing her usual perfume. I loved her dearly but.... I'd make her go back in the house and wash her neck. I just cannot phyiscally take certain odors. I genuinely suffer (headaches)!

My mother actually puts out cigarettes on a surface and puts them in her purse, but thank you for your concern. However, I'm sure you're speaking generally, even though you reference "because your mother needs to smoke", so I understand your concern, because unfortunately people do that. However, at the same time, it's comments like that make my mother feel like she's a criminal, regardless of whether she broke the rules once, or not, she repeatedly always tells me this whenever she has to walk long distances in order to smoke a cigarette and that's when she does follow the rules.

Also, your hypothetical story could also happen in a smoking area that already exists today and could have happened for years.

"The reason" is rubbish regardless. Crowd control has nothing to do with it. The areas are secluded and off to the side. The ice also is due to "crowd control", but they want you to stand in line at a concession (which will cause congestion too), because you just might buy something.

I go by my previous statement, if cigarettes were sold in the parks like alcohol is now this wouldn't have happened.

I thought my Mom was the only person on earth who did that, (put out cigarettes and then put them in her purse). Lol

This isn’t a story for you, your experience is your own, as your Mom’s is hers, but 2 summers ago my Mom and I went on 2 week trip to Europe. She had been smoking for more than 40 years at that point. She was so excited that Europe has more lax smoking laws. After 3 days in London I told her I would never travel with her again, unless she quit smoking. I swear, we had to stop every two blocks so that she could smoke part of a cigarette, then stub in out and stash it in her purse to smoke another part of in 2 more blocks. I was furious. About 3 months ago she switched from smoking to vaping, which I still think is gross, but at least it doesn’t smell as bad. She hopes to stop all together by the end of the year, because she booked us another Europe trip and I swore I would not go if we had a repeat of last time.

That said, BRAVO Disney. This ban is a great thing.

Disney can and will do whatever it wants within the law. They must have done a financial analysis to see any impact. The smoking decision though, is a losing monetary proposition for them. I do think there are people who are chain smokers who may change their plans, but I do not see any new family saying let's go to Disney since it is Smoke free.
Keeping this in mind, I think Disney "may" have done this keeping guest health in mind. This is one decision that I give kudos to Disney for. Making a decision that is right for the guests is what the old Disney mentality was and I am glad to see it so.

Even if not that now new people will book new trips the move can still build affinity for Disney .... the more people like Disney the more likely they are to give them more money and/or it is easier for them to part with their money

Based on comments I have seen embers and social media seems like at least 10 to 1 people happy with the change ... so they might lose a guest here or their but it makes many more guest stronger guests/fans/advocates

They lost money today from our family. Portofino Bay and the Ritz in Naples I'm sure are ok taking it. We hadn't pulled the trigger yet, but this is a deal breaker for my traveling party. It did make us actually book the trip though:)

ETA: We had been considering a Uni trip anyway, so it's not a big deal, but it is really annoying. Oh well, kids aren't promised WDW trips and DH will take any reason to go to Paris.

Last edited:
If that were true Disney would have removed smoking resort wide. Also if Disney is so health conscious they’d think about the 90% of their menu offerings being not in the least bit healthy. You’re more than likely right about the financial analysis though. I really hope they took the international travelers into account too though because it doesn’t have the stigma in their home countries like it does here.

I'm quite happy about this - smoke, from cigarettes or vaping, makes my eyes water and gives me a migraine.

I'm especially happy vaping is including! Not at Disney, but my husband and I were at a convention several years ago (Dragon Con) and we were inside, waiting in a line. A woman nearby to us was vaping and every time someone asked her to stop, she refused, yelling, "It's just Vapor!!!."

Her JustVapor did indeed give me a migraine. So glad I won't have to deal with that at Disney

To me it’s just as gross, if not more. You are walking through a giant cloud of someone’s carbon dioxide exhalation that just came out of someone’s nasty mouth. Barf. I realize as humans in a crowd we are constantly doing this to some extent, but at least I don’t have to SEE it.

Even if not that now new people will book new trips the move can still build affinity for Disney .... the more people like Disney the more likely they are to give them more money and/or it is easier for them to part with their money

Based on comments I have seen embers and social media seems like at least 10 to 1 people happy with the change ... so they might lose a guest here or their but it makes many more guest stronger guests/fans/advocates

Yep, they had to have known what they were doing. I'm still shaking my head, and disappointed. Maybe the real reason was to drive up bookings at DLP? That was seriously discussed today in my household. Lord though, the same smokers on overseas flights are terrible. Red wine, sleeping, and patches get them there.

I doubt this smoking ban will have any measurable effect on attendance at WDW.

I doubt this smoking ban will have any measurable effect on attendance at WDW.
I’m not sure about that, how many people are going to come to Disney just because it’s smoke free vs how many people may now avoid it due to not being able to smoke/vape? Disney did this very strategically, by only making the parks smoke free they are softening the blow a little bit. Eventually that will go away too though. On the other hand I don’t think it will last Disney has a bad habit of making a announcement and not following all the way thru. Plastic bags, straws, a healthier menu, etc.

How many people will now be able to enjoy the parks, as opposed to how many will choose not to come because smoking is less convenient? That's the real question.

People with asthma, allergies or who use an oxygen tank aren't doing so out of choice.
But they aren’t eliminating they are moving the problem, there will still be areas where smoke will be, just in a different area yes outside the park, but still there. The argument that it helps asthmatics, allergies and people who use oxygen tanks etc, can’t be used because it may not be in one area but it will be in another. A lot of smokers will sadly choose not to go because it will be a hassle. Addicts are stubborn, present company included,I will go, I will just have to make substitutions, lozenges,gum and hard candy. Disney should stock up on smoking cessation products because they will be in high demand. For most of the smokers and vapors here it shouldn’t be a big deal, but the person who doesn’t research it could be a huge deal.

It doesn't help that a lady on twitter complained she "lost 2 clients this morning" because of the ban and has decided to now tell all of her clients to just smoke where they want until a CM tells them otherwise. ***?
Wow! unbelievable! (I know you were just citing someone else's words here, not your's) Pretty sure that's the attitude that escalated the "desginated areas" policy to the "ban" policy. How much further do they want to push it?

One reason we didn't renew our annual passes is the increase in rude guests. That includes a fair number of smokers who ignore any direction to the designated smoking areas, but the population in general. Something is very wrong when you leave the parks at the end of the day hating people. I agree with Disney's decision, but I believe they'll have their hands full enforcing it. They may be selling a lot more of those water spray bottles with the little fans, though.

I’m not sure about that, how many people are going to come to Disney just because it’s smoke free vs how many people may now avoid it due to not being able to smoke/vape? Disney did this very strategically, by only making the parks smoke free they are softening the blow a little bit. Eventually that will go away too though. On the other hand I don’t think it will last Disney has a bad habit of making a announcement and not following all the way thru. Plastic bags, straws, a healthier menu, etc.

I'm sure about it.

I am not a smoker and I truly hate the smell, but my dh is a smoker and has had a truly hard time stopping. I cant tell you how many times he asked the kids if the want to ride space mountain or something close cause the smoking area was behind it. It was so frustrating it became like it was domanating our day... addiction for you..
With todays news my dh told me I guess I need to try harder before our trip next year. So I am hoping that this news helps him quit. Or i dont know how I will handle his mood at wdw.

I'm sure about it.
Ok what are you sure about, that someone is going to book a trip to Disney because the parks are now smoke free?
Not trying to stir the pot just making sure that I’m taking away the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter