• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

#smasthehalf announcement 2/25

Wreck-it-Ralph's phrase was "I'm gonna wreck it!" whereas The Incredible Hulk's phrase is "Hulk SMASH!" So if the hashtag is anything to go by for theming, I'd say Hulk over Ralph. It makes more sense, too, as others have pointed out in terms of a franchise > a single film.

Other than a potential Hulk/Avengers reference, I wonder if #smashthehalf could be a reference to another full marathon distance race. However, I'm not sure when you could really look to have another full in Orlando due to temperatures, and Disneyland seems like it would be difficult and costly to get the necessary permits for the city of Anaheim.

So I'm thinking maybe just an Avengers/Superhero themed race - and I'd guess at Disneyland due to the contract Universal had with Marvel for the use of characters in the Orlando area.

With respect to the comments about Everest and May timing mentioned earlier, my understanding is that Tinkerbell is being moved from January to May next year, clearing a spot for another race in its original January time slot. Having Tinkerbell in May might not conflict with Everest because (1) different coasts, (2) different target audience between 5K and half marathon, and (3) rumors of Everest going away (at least temporarily) could prove accurate due to conflicts with AK construction of Pandora for Avatarland.

You mean you don't like all the hype and buildup for what has often turned out to be "meh"? ;)

Exactly. The hype department needs to be a little more in touch with the reality group.

I actually agree with SAH on the betting for another new women's centered event. Maybe my Retina graphics are off, but the figure in the post seems female - just saying...

With respect to the comments about Everest and May timing mentioned earlier, my understanding is that Tinkerbell is being moved from January to May next year, clearing a spot for another race in its original January time slot. Having Tinkerbell in May might not conflict with Everest because (1) different coasts, (2) different target audience between 5K and half marathon, and (3) rumors of Everest going away (at least temporarily) could prove accurate due to conflicts with AK construction of Pandora for Avatarland.

I keep forgetting about Avatar land and how that seems to be the reasoning behind EEC going away. But that also lends a little more weight to the Star Wars rumor. WDW could have a Star Wars run in May, to coincide with Star Wars weekends. Then DL could move Tink.

Exactly. The hype department needs to be a little more in touch with the reality group. I actually agree with SAH on the betting for another new women's centered event. Maybe my Retina graphics are off, but the figure in the post seems female - just saying...

My thoughts as well. They didn't do a guy and a girl or just a guy... They chose a girl. Have to wonder if that's intentional. We'll find out!

I would be very disappointed if they added another female centric race. At this point they already have two of these. Tink on the west coast and Princess on the east coast.

They have the marathon weekend that caters to any type of runner. You can do short, medium, long or all distances. Same thing with the Disneyland half weekend.

Wine & Dine, Tower of Terror and Expedition Everest cater to different groups as well, but in the end are catered to both male and female.

So, they basically have the wealth spread around for any and all types of runners.

I would hope it would be an Avengers themed race or the rumored Star Wars one. With both movies coming out in 2015, it would surely make sense for either one. Not that either need any extra marketing, but it would make a fun tie in.

My thoughts as well. They didn't do a guy and a girl or just a guy... They chose a girl. Have to wonder if that's intentional. We'll find out!

True. . . but is the runner or the hashtag the bigger hint? If the runner, what's the significance of "smashing" the half? A full marathon distance themed for women?

Or, for those holding out hope for an Avengers theme, could runDisney have just teased it with a female runner because that's the majority of its current runners for all races? Hmmm. . .

I saw someone mention the possibility of an obstacle race tying into the wall and #smashthehalf. That wouldn't be exclusive to women, but could be a possibility with respect to the wall.

Not too much longer until we all find out! 8:35 a.m. PST. . . "just because" or because the announcement is related to the Pacific coast. . . :headache::lmao:

True. . . but is the runner or the hashtag the bigger hint? If the runner, what's the significance of "smashing" the half? A full marathon distance themed for women?

Or, for those holding out hope for an Avengers theme, could runDisney have just teased it with a female runner because that's the majority of its current runners for all races? Hmmm. . .

I saw someone mention the possibility of an obstacle race tying into the wall and #smashthehalf. That wouldn't be exclusive to women, but could be a possibility with respect to the wall.

Not too much longer until we all find out! 8:35 a.m. PST. . . "just because" or because the announcement is related to the Pacific coast. . . :headache::lmao:

I didn't think the runner meant a thing. I thought a woman was drawn because it was at the 1/2 princess and nothing else.

So many rumors of what it could be! I think I'd be happy with basically any of them. My favorite would be if it meant adding another full marathon of any theme, but a Star Wars or Avengers race would make convincing my boyfriend to run it with me a lot easier. I'd like it to be at WDW just because it's cheaper for me to get there, but the PST announcement makes me think DL so at least there would be another opportunity for C2C.

The best thing I could think of would be if they added a "TourPass" kind of thing like the Rock n Roll series where you have guaranteed registration for all the races. I'd like to try to do all the races next year but as quick as they sell out, signing up could be a bigger challenge than the actual running.

It could be a women-themed marathon, for sure. Would fit the "Smash the half" (barrier) idea going on, that women should be the majority of marathon runners, since women are the majority of runners.

It's possible that the race is not women-centered, and they used a female figure because it was at the princess. It's possible they used a woman because women are the majority of runners at all runDisney events, IIRC. It's possible that they used a female because (I suspect) the people in charge of the runDisney social media/public relations are women, and just used an image that looked like them (which is, I suspect, part of the reason why a substantial majority of images on the runDisney site are of women, even for things like marathon weekend.)

Either way, I'm not looking forward to it. Too many big build-up, complete let down occurrences in the past.

I think people are reading way too much into this. Smash = Hulk. It's an Avengers half in California.

I'd like to see them get back into the Tri business myself..............

i'd like this, too. do they even have a safe place to swim on property? crescent lake maybe?

my guess - tough mudder in the safari.

I think people are reading way too much into this. Smash = Hulk. It's an Avengers half in California.

Nah. Could be wrong, but looking at the art, DW said "They're going to turn the Princess half into a weekend with 5k or 10k, half and full." The smashing through the wall (with a female runner) makes me think that is even more likely.

I think they are adding a challenge to W&D, mainly because They are announcing the day before the early registration opens for AP.

i'd like this, too. do they even have a safe place to swim on property? crescent lake maybe?

my guess - tough mudder in the safari.

Tri would be great and Bay Lake should be fine when water is cooler but I doubt it's this.

McFlurry John

I think they are adding a challenge to W&D, mainly because They are announcing the day before the early registration opens for AP.

Ok where have you seen an announcement for early registration ?

Tri would be great and Bay Lake should be fine when water is cooler but I doubt it's this.

McFlurry John

What about that brain eating bacteria?

They had a danskin tri at DCA once. Used the water that's now used for world of color for it. So...Epcot?

And , ugh, please not another female focused event. Oh joy. I find them to be so false. Hold back the men so maybe women can cross the line first. It's cheating and being silly. Like vanity sizing. Feels good for a minute but in the end it's actually more insulting to women in my view.

Please don't let it be yet another pink thing.

Says the exercise science major who was on a coed sport (Crew) who long ago accepted basic biology generalities...

Please be in Disneyland!

We only have 2 races all year and WDW already has 5. I know it's harder to do events in DL because they need to use public streets but the events sell out in hours, there is huge demand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter