Smart phones - are they worth it?

mebfalcon

Mouseketeer
I am considering getting a smart phone in the next week. I'm having a problem with the expense but think I would like it. I was wondering if any of you great budget people have found a say to save money using any of the apps? I think I've heard there are some but not sure what they are or how they work. Any other pros or cons? Has anyone ever bought a Verizon certifies preowned one? They say that they are just the ones people returned within the first 2 weeks. They are cheaper and non-smart phones can be free. Thoughts?

I don't know about any special money savings apps yet but I just bought a new LG smart phone it only cost me $30. Right now they have it for FREE!!! My phone service is less expensive now that I switched from Tmobile to Sprint. Not to mention that having the internet when ever you want it is AWESOME!!

-nat

While I definitely don't "need" mine, I love it and would really miss not having it. Like you though, I had a hard time justifying the cost, not only of the phone, but the monthly plan as well.

I have been with AT&T forever, so I opted for an iPhone. I really just wanted something basic, so I opted for the 3G and my store had a refurbished one for $50. (The only thing wrong with is was the power cord, which Apple replaced at no charge). AT&T also now has different levels of data plans from unlimited (which is for heavy use) to a limited plan for occasional use.

I don't have much experience with other smartphones, but I've been really happy with mine and would be lost without it!

There are a lot of apps out there but the moneysaving ones that I use would be the Dinner Spinner from Allrecipes.com. I can look up a recipe while I'm at the grocery store to make sure that I buy all the ingredients I need, in the quantities that I need. It prevents me from having to make a return trip just to get that key ingredient!

I also have Southwest's app installed so that I can check in at the 24-hr mark without having to buy the Early Bird check in at $10 per person.

I have the Kindle app for the books I bought on Amazon and I have the iBooks app for any books that I want to borrow from the library. I'm never without reading material no matter where I am. So I'm not buying a magazine or pocket novel when I'm stranded in a terminal.

I don't know about money saving, but my cell phone is where I splurge a little bit. DH and I just switched to Sprint and I got the HTC EVO 4G and I love it. DH got the EVO Shift. It is like having a mini computer and it has come in so handy.

I do get a plan discount thru my employer, so we are saving about $30/mo for 2 lines.

I have had a blackberry for the last year and I didn't have as much access as I do with this phone.

Suzanne

DH and I were also having this dilemma- did we really "need" to pay extra to have internet, etc on our phones. I found a way to make it slightly more expensive (if at all) for us than the basic plan we originally had. We are with Sprint, and went to a family data plan instead of the separate, individual lines we had. This plan includes free cel to cel for ANY provider that we call. SInce DH uses his cel for work, but doesn't get reimbursed, this helps. Plus, DH's family all use Verizon, and we use Sprint. They very rarely call our landline, but speak on the cel often, so this helps a great deal. It seems like a luxury to have free apps from Amazon, web surf, etc on my Optimus S (free when renewing my contract). I think we did the right thing. Only complaint is the android phones eat the battery much more quickly than my non-smartphone ever did..and the Optimus has no flash.

I have a smartphone and can honestly say that it's not worth the extra cost (to me anyway). When I first got it I used the web browser quite a bit, but once the novelty wore off -- I rarely ever use it. I feel almost certain that I will drop the data plan when my contract is up.

You can get a Virgin Mobile smartphone (mine is an LG Rumor 2) for less than $50 and their plans start at $25/month for unlimited data, text and 300 minutes of talk. That is the plan I have. My wife has an Android phone and her plan costs $40/month for the same features I have plus 1200 minutes of talk.

I really can't think of many ways a smartphone is going to save you money.
I mean there are some apps you can get where if you are out shopping for something you can zap in the barcode and it will comparison shop other stores for you... things like that. There are some stores like Target that will send you coupons now to your phone, but it really isn't that big of a deal yet.

But otherwise, expect to spend when you get a Smartphone, not save.

Whether or not it is worth it to you will depend on how interested you are in the features. I use my iPhone constantly to listen to audiobooks, music, Cubs games ... etc etc If there's nothing on the phone that you'd use much then it won't be worth it to you.

I don't use my phone much at all. I have a tracfone and I just did splurge for a new one.
its an LG 800g its one of the touch phones, has mobile web, camera, video, etc...........

it was $49 and came with a 60 minute card and double minutes for life of the phone.
60 min cards are usually about $20 so I figure the phone was only$29 plus I found a $5 off coupon so $24:thumbsup2

anyway, its a cool little phone, and for the amount I use it, I think it will be fine.
http://wontek.com/prepaid-reviews/tracfone-wireless-reviews/tracfone-lg800g-smart-phone-review

I don't use my phone much at all. I have a tracfone and I just did splurge for a new one.
its an LG 800g its one of the touch phones, has mobile web, camera, video, etc...........

it was $49 and came with a 60 minute card and double minutes for life of the phone.
60 min cards are usually about $20 so I figure the phone was only$29 plus I found a $5 off coupon so $24:thumbsup2

anyway, its a cool little phone, and for the amount I use it, I think it will be fine.
http://wontek.com/prepaid-reviews/tracfone-wireless-reviews/tracfone-lg800g-smart-phone-review

Can you actually connect to the web with this? I had heard or read somewhere that you can only access the tracfone website but not other websites or email. I'm considering ordering it for my DD but wasn't sure on the internet stuff.

I really can't think of many ways a smartphone is going to save you money.
I mean there are some apps you can get where if you are out shopping for something you can zap in the barcode and it will comparison shop other stores for you... things like that. There are some stores like Target that will send you coupons now to your phone, but it really isn't that big of a deal yet.

But otherwise, expect to spend when you get a Smartphone, not save.

Whether or not it is worth it to you will depend on how interested you are in the features. I use my iPhone constantly to listen to audiobooks, music, Cubs games ... etc etc If there's nothing on the phone that you'd use much then it won't be worth it to you.

I saved money upgrading. By the time I was paying for the basic data plan, the navigation, the email, etc., I'm spending less on my smartphone + data plan that I was paying for each thing a la carte.

It really depends on how much you'd use the features. The google integration is great for us. DH & I have our calendars synced, so we don't have to worry about forgetting to tell each other when we have plans. When I run, instead of using my ipod, I use the Pandora app and the runkeeper app. We love being able to search for restaurants when we're out of town, and then use the navigation to find it. The calorie counter app is great for deciding what we want to eat when we're out. Etc.

I love my smart phone, but I can't say that it is "worth it". $30 per month is not breaking the bank at our house, but it is definitely something I could live without if money was tight. You need to decide if you are comfortable with the cost increase.

Couldn't go back to a regular phone. I've had smartphones since the first Windows Mobile phones came out. The two big things for me are email management and web browsing. There are so many daily routine things that the smartphone makes easier. And with Nook and Kindle apps available, even if I forget my e-reader at home and find myself with time to kill, I can pull up my books and start reading on my smartphone. Does it save me money? Heck no. But if I'm using it, I don't mind paying for it.

Last trip to WDW, I was constantly using it to check wait times using the Touring Plans mobile app. I must have made and changed a half a dozen ADR's using Disney's mobile site while waiting in queue lines or just walking through the parks. It was darn near invaluable.

I have the LG Prime that comes with a lot apps and games which is java base. I have ebooks, games, and my fav app opera mini which I just update too.

My phone is quick messaging phone from ATT. Will I upgarde to a smartphone no. Not right now.

We have U.S. cellular Family Plan.
2 have smart phones, and 2 of us (me) just have regular phones.
The 2 with smart phones pay an extra $25 to have the internet.

Our plan is up in December and the Family Plan with internet is $125 for 2 people.
Add 2 more people on and they are now an extra $15 a person.
Add 2 people that want internet it is $45 a person.

I thought the price would go down with U.S. Cellular and it is going up.
Me and my dd decided we don't need the internet.

Me-I can't see anything on the phone anyway-I have to get out my reading glasses. I have an IPad and take it with me and either look for free wireless or go without.

My dh has his for work-so he let's me plug in, or he finds what we need.

Smart Phones are a love/hate thing.
I feel some of my family members spend to much time on their phones,
watching Facebook, or whatever else they are doing.

I think so if you do it for a cost that is acceptable to you. Our DS just got the Samsubg Fascinate, for free using a $100 coupon when the phone was $150 and a $50 rebate. He has over $200 in Verizon gift cards and had saved almont $260 in cash to put toward whatever phone he was after. He took over 2 years to decide. So basically he has enough to pay the monthly data fee..we are going to cover the insurance of $7 per month. He will be able to get 15 months of fees covered with his savings leaving 7 until the contract expires. He feels the smartphone is worth the extra $210 he will have to come up with for the future.

Do I "need" a smartphone? No.
Do I really like it? Yes

I use my phone for a multitude of things. I travel alot with dd and love the mapquest app. I use the app to find Starbucks when I travel as well. I have an Xmas gift app that is incredibly convenient. I use the notepad a lot. I use the Kindle app. I use the vacation planners alot as well.

I play on the internet as well.

What is nice is everything is in one place.

Of course, I'm almost 50 and we can afford it. We've only had them (dh and I) not quite a year.

Julia

There is no way I would give up my smartphone at this point. I've had a Blackberry, but I like my Android better. Right now, I have a Samsung Fascinate and just love it.

I enjoy being able to get my email where ever I am rather than being tied to my computer. Since you can put multiple email addresses on the phone, I can keep up with business and personal mail quickly. I have my calender, address book, to do list and contacts right in my hand.

I save money on a regular basis with Gasbuddy. It shows the lowest gas prices nearby. Using Google Maps saves time and gas, too.

An app called Our Groceries allows everyone in the household to add to the shopping list. If I go shopping, I can see what the others want and then mark them off when purchased. If someone else goes to the store, they can look on their phone and see what I've already bought. This saves having too much of the wrong items.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter