Slow and Steady wins the race... 300 to Boston in 5 years?

AntimonyER

Mouseketeer
Alright, its about time to get active in my journal, as I am less than two weeks from starting my "official" marathon training. But first, my August numbers:

August Running Totals:
Distance: 167.35 miles
Avg Pace: 8:06/mi

I added long weekend runs to my weekday maintenance runs in August, with runs of 10.59, 11.23, 14.25, and 12.02 making up most of the difference between July and August. My pace also improved as those weekend runs are in the cooler mornings (or indoors) where keeping 8:00 pace for that length of time is not taxing, plus there were a few slightly cooler days where keeping sub 8:00 pace at noon wasn't lunacy. In fact, last weekend I ran at an 8:06 pace for my longest distance ever (16.1 miles) and managed an avg HR of 144, right where @DopeyBadger you said those long runs should sit.

It hasn't been exactly easy, with my kids soccer starting up, trying to fit in those weekend runs has been difficult. The 14.25 run was in Greenville, SC, and took a lot of research to find a route I was comfortable with, and even then had to purchase water at stores to stay hydrated. Two of the other long runs were treadmill runs, as I either didn't have time to scout out a route, or couldn't find time to run until the heat of the day. I already hate running on treadmills, but 90 minutes on one? Ugh.

This weekend I am excited in that my weekend run is actually a race, the Savannah Sunburn Half Marathon. I am not shooting for a PR, as its predicted to be a warm, muggy, and possibly rainy morning (T+D values of around 150). But its still something different, in a place I have never run before, will definitely be enjoyable.

AntimonyER

Mouseketeer
And now, onto "The PLAN". So a mix of success and failures for Step 1 of my plan. First, my failure: I have failed to lose any weight. I have been stuck right around 165 all summer, with even a few trips above. Vacations, weekend soccer trips requiring eating out too much, and general snackage level being too high have all contributed. I wanted to go into the official training at my goal race weight, so I wasn't training at an energy deficit, but that clearly is going to have to be amended. I plan to get serious about calorie intake for the next 8 weeks, the two weeks until training starts, and then the first half of official training. But wherever I am at at the halfway point, is where I will stay, as I want to finish the training strong.

The other two parts of Step 1 were more successful. August was my second best month mileage wise ever, so I have definitely gotten the mileage up as planned, I am happy with where I am at heading into my training plan. And I have found an alternative to gels that is much more agreeable to my stomach. I tried Clif and honey stinger gummies, and honey stinger waffles, and my stomach issues were greatly reduced/eliminated with all of those. I think the Clif ones were the best, as they were easier to deal with, only 3 chews per "dose", and it comes with 2 "doses" per pack. That would mean two packs would carry me through the entire marathon with 45 minute intervals. Add in a waffle right before the start, and I think that will be my race fueling strategy. Hydration I still have to nail down, but need conditions closer to race day to finalize that plan (to calculate sweat rate).

I did also start suffering from some runner's knee in early August, that I think was due to running in worn out shoes (started right around 400 miles in the brooks ghost I was running in). Since I was also dealing with some serious calluses on my big toe and inside of foot, I switched to the Altra Escalante 1.5. My knee is feeling much better even though my mileage increased, so definitely made the right decision to retire the brooks, and my calluses have reduced dramatically as well. So very happy with the Altra's.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates