• What’s a Chiropractor?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 10 11.1%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
Have you ever seen a Chiropractor?

I‘ve been seeing a Chiropractor since I was 16 - I have neck issues.
Before I started seeing one, I was on 3 different medications for migraines, and I haven’t had to take these medications since. I still get headaches and that’s when I know I need to get my neck adjusted.

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD005427.pub2/abstract
Combined chiropractic interventions slightly improved pain and disability in the short‐term and pain in the medium‐term for acute and subacute LBP. However, there is currently no evidence that supports or refutes that these interventions provide a clinically meaningful difference for pain or disability in people with LBP when compared to other interventions. Future research is very likely to change the estimate of effect and our confidence in the results.

Just not for me...

I do know people who swear by them, and others not so much...

I know when DH had back surgery, the Neurosurgeon who did the surgery, said never ever ever go to a Chiropractor.. I said okay he won't he said I was talking to both of you. I was like okay... he went into a lengthy doctor speak about why not to, and said which made me pause, he said good and effective stretching daily, can make a difference in your entire life span... I am finding that out now for sure, It has made a huge difference in my body and how I move and feel overall... I am working on DH and he is even doing the quick routine I do before bed...

Anything a chiropractor can relieve, a regular MD can relieve without the risk of stroke.

I think this is something people should REALLY consider, research and make an educated decision on prior to seeing one. There have been MANY cases where people have been very injured by them and even some cases have died. The "good" ones pretty much are conducting physical therapy. However in all honestly are less adept than a true therapist, but I feel like that's why some people find relief. So in a sense you could pay less and just go to a physical therapist and get even better treatment.

The entire "cracking and adjusting" is insane. The noise is due to the same reasons you can crack your knuckles (bubbles bursting in the synovial fluid). It's not actually the joints / spine going back in place. Due to the ligaments and the structure of the spine for instance it's impossible to just "adjust" something by hand.

Side note: I personally know a chiropractor and someone who had their neck broken by one.

Be careful!

Would be afraid to have one touch me, I don't want my back or neck cracked!
Now, my acupuncturist I LOVE.

My DH “has a guy” he’s been seeing at least once a month for years (currently prohibited due to Covid). He adjusts his hips mostly and apparently addresses everything from his walking gait to his golf swing. DH trusts him completely but I do wonder why none of the fixes are ever permanent. I personally have seen him three times over the past decade, always for specific issues and in fairness, he has used active-release techniques (which hurt like the blazes) but completely and permanently resolved my problems in less than 2 minutes. He’s never tried to snap my neck though - that’s just scary.

Just in case you’re curious, chiropractors, homeopaths, midwives and other complimentary medical practitioners are not covered by public health care in this province. They are all licensed to practice and highly regulated but you must pay OOP or have private insurance.

Many years ago I went to several. But once I found one that offered his attractive assistant to perform "therapeutic massages" that was covered by my insurance, I went regularly. :)

Would be afraid to have one touch me, I don't want my back or neck cracked!
Now, my acupuncturist I LOVE.

I love a good crack, but I've never been to a chiropractor. I just get someone to walk on my back on rare occasions.
I do crack basically any joint I can myself, kind of compulsively.

The only chiropractor I’ve known was an alcoholic and would drink during the day. He’d come to the Ale House at lunch and have 2 - 3 pints and go back for his afternoon appointments. He sometimes also run over (we were only a few doors down from his office) and have a quick one (or two) in the afternoon as well.

Not going to paint all chiropractors as the same but I certainly wouldn’t go to him after lunch (or ever).

I have never been to one. I know a couple people who swear by their chiropractors but, as someone else mentioned, it seems like it offers temporary relief not a "fix." I also know a couple of people who claim to have been hurt by them.

I'm not saying I'd never ever try it, but I think I'd need to be at the "anything for relief" point, and I have not been there yet.

Last edited:
Just in case you’re curious, chiropractors, homeopaths, midwives and other complimentary medical practitioners are not covered by public health care in this province. They are all licensed to practice and highly regulated but you must pay OOP or have private insurance.

Same, they aren't covered here either. We have insurance that covers 100% up to a max of $500 per calendar year. My husband sees a guy who he's seen for 20 years or so. It's not a regular thing, just when his neck and back start bugging him.

As for me, I would never, never go to a chiropractor. I think it's disgusting and I can't even watch videos of people getting cracked without my stomach heaving.

Same, they aren't covered here either. We have insurance that covers 100% up to a max of $500 per calendar year. My husband sees a guy who he's seen for 20 years or so. It's not a regular thing, just when his neck and back start bugging him.

As for me, I would never, never go to a chiropractor. I think it's disgusting and I can't even watch videos of people getting cracked without my stomach heaving.
:confused3 It's so weird really; this is what everybody "knows" about chiropractors. Do they really do it that much? The one I've seen never ever suggested snapping my neck and DH says he never has that done either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter