slo’s WEDNESDAY 8/17 poll - Times Square

Times Square - Have you been? Do you want to go? Did you enjoy your visit? (M.C.)

• I have been to Times Square once

Votes: 34 24.6%
  • I have been to Times Square more than once

Votes: 67 48.6%
  • I enjoyed my visit(s)

Votes: 56 40.6%
  • I did not enjoy my visit(s)

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I have not been to Times Square - I want to visit there

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • I have not been to Times Square - I’m indifferent about visiting there

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • I have not been to Times Square - I have no desire to visit there

Votes: 17 12.3%
  • What is Times Square?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
Have you ever been to Times Square in New York City?
If yes….Did you enjoy your visit?
If no…..Do you want to visit there?
(multiple choice)

For Me…..I have never been and it’s a place that’s on my bucket list of places I want to visit (along with other places in NYC).

*Inspiration for today’s poll is me watching GMA and seeing Times Square in the background.

Been to NY several times - close to Times Square - will be honest ( no offense ) not one of my favorite places to visit but I do love the pizza ❤️🍕 I had to go because of work

I've been to NYC many times. Usually to see a play or take in all in during the Christmas season ( I used to live in NJ). I did go for New Years Eve in the late 80's and was in Times Square for the countdown with my boyfriend of the time. The 80's was a long time ago, I would not go into NYC now.

I’m originally from NYC and worked within walking distance so been there a lot. Would I particularly go back? I guess it depends. My mother still lives in NY but I never go into the city anymore.

Without an event going on, Times Square is nothing. If all you know is what you see on TV, you will be shocked at how small it is. It's really just a street corner.

Tourist trap corporation restaurants, a couple tourist trap stores and that's about it that I noticed. If you were walking, it would take all of 3 seconds for you to glance at your phone and completely miss Times Square walking straight through it. It was a huge nothing burger for us.

However, be sure to go to Jr's Cheesecake. I had low expectations because I'm particular about my cheesecake. It blew me away.

Pizza was the other thing I was completely unimpressed with. I had high expectations of the pizza, couldn't wait to get a hold of a slice. Got it and... meh, it's just like mall pizza at home. That's not to say it isn't fantastic because I have 2 pizza shops in 2 different malls that I love, but that's all the NY slice was, the Italian pizza at the mall. It was great pizza, but not the mind blowing experience that I was expecting.

Went once, that was enough for me. Other than the 9/11 Museum, I did not enjoy much of that trip.

I’ve been to Times Square several times, going back to the mid-1980s. We stayed in Times Square on our last trip to NYC in 2021. I kind of like walking through it at night. It’s nuts! It’s so bright with the huge signs, and there’s just so many people! I’m sure if I lived in NYC, I would avoid it like poison, but it’s fun as a tourist.

Pizza was the other thing I was completely unimpressed with. I had high expectations of the pizza, couldn't wait to get a hold of a slice. Got it and... meh, it's just like mall pizza at home. That's not to say it isn't fantastic because I have 2 pizza shops in 2 different malls that I love, but that's all the NY slice was, the Italian pizza at the mall. It was great pizza, but not the mind blowing experience that I was expecting.
581870F7-D9C0-445F-BAC2-5BC2271C6609.jpeg

Been a few times. Met my husband in NYC and lived briefly on the UWS with him before we left for Oregon. We avoided Times Square as much as we could.

3 times I think. Once as a kid, in the 50's, while on a family driving trip from Chicago to East Coast, a day or two in NYC. I recall from that visit it was very seedy.

Then twice I think, on business conventions, staying at the Marriott Marquis at TS. I recall it was cleaned up a lot, not as seedy. But coming from Chicago, not necessarily a stunner for me. The advertising sighage is pretty spectacular though.

No desire to return.

Used to go a lot, it’s not too far from where we live. Have many good memories - one day Paul McCartney walked right past us, another time driving to NJ with the kids we stopped by Times Sq around midnight and jumped out of the car for a quick selfie with the lights behind us, then hopped back in and went on our way (love that pic), another time DH and I made a bunch of sandwiches and gave them out to the homeless while we were walking around, there were some places we liked to eat, etc. Before we had kids we used to love being in the Late Night w David Letterman audience yearly, worked a whole day around it. Went to Broadway shows, hailed cabs in snowstorms, visited lots of areas around the city, etc. Today we don’t have a desire to go, sadly. If they can get their crime under control maybe we’ll go back.

I've never been.....no real desire to do so unless for some other reason I am in the area, which is unlikely.
I have only driven through NYC returning from a cruise and going to the airport

I went for the first time this summer. My son had an internship in NYC and we stayed a few days to sightsee. We went a couple of times while we were there. It is smaller/less defined than it looks on TV. (It has more "presence" at night due to the lighted signs.) I am glad we went, but it is not "my scene." It's much too crowded for my tastes. I don't really feel a need to go back.

One thing that also surprised me though: the New Years Eve "ball" is up all year! We first noticed it through binoculars from the top of the Empire State Building at night... but then we went back to Times Square to see if we could see it from there and, sure thing, it was there. (We just didn't notice it on our first visit.)

Was there once took a bus tour in from a campsite…lol 10 or so years ago.

Couldn’t believe how small the New Years Eve Ball really is from the ground could have missed it if someone didn’t say where it was. Saw all the “characters “ out wanting you to pay to take pictures with them too.

Everything looks bigger on TV including Rockefeller square.

I’ve lived in the NYC suburbs my whole life, so have been there many times. Never on New Year’s Eve, have no interest in that. I don’t even consider the actual Times Square itself as a destination, but the surrounding area, including the Broadway theatre district, is more of a neighborhood. We used to like to see exhibits at The Discovery Center (Titanic, Harry Potter, etc.) but that’s been closed now for several years. As pp said, we mostly just walk through as quickly as possible if we have to, or try to avoid it completely because of the crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter