slo’s TUESDAY 4/9 poll - Frozen vs Fresh vs Canned Vegetables

Fresh vs Canned vs Fresh Vegetables - What do you buy for your dinner table? (m.c,)

• Fresh

Votes: 69 76.7%
  • Canned

Votes: 35 38.9%
  • Frozen

Votes: 66 73.3%
  • I buy fresh most

Votes: 31 34.4%
  • I buy canned most

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • I buy frozen most

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • I don’t know - I don’t cook the meals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t cook the meals, but I do know what someone else buys & prepares

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • None of the above - I don’t eat vegetables

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Mostly fresh, sometimes frozen depending on time of year.
We grow a huge garden, and I like to freeze tomatoes in various states (stewed, chopped, roasted whatever) but will buy them canned if I am out of anything I put up, but that's the only canned item I get.

Fresh spinach, corn on the cob and potato's. Most all other vegetables are the frozen steam fresh that you can pop in the microwave.

@slo I'm with your husband on the canned vegetables. The only flavor they have is from the can!!

Me ~ fresh all the way! Grew up with canned and would rather not have any more. Frozen ~ there are very very few brands and types of veggies that I think taste okay. Most frozen tastes awful to me. This summer I am going to hit farmer market and attempt to shrink wrap and freeze some since I got a big freezer, see how it works out.

DH ~ grew up with canned and would be happy all canned forever. He hates frozen. He does like fresh and even has a small garden but if it were him cooking it would be all canned.

I buy all 3. Love fresh the most, especially for zucchini, summer squash, asparagus, etc. Frozen next, like stir fry vegetables, steam fresh (I sometimes pop one of them into the microwave and that’s my lunch), a few canned too like corn, diced tomatoes, and I especially love sweet petite Le Seuer peas.

We mainly eat fresh vegetables, but I also use frozen for what isn’t in season. I also regularly use canned tomatoes, tomato paste, green chilis and beans for sauce and chili.

Mostly fresh (salads, tomatoes, asparagus, broccoli, onions, carrots, cucumbers, peppers, spinach, zucchini) a fair amount frozen (corn, broccoli, onions and veggie blends—Costco has two blends I like that are in huge bags and really easy on a busy night) and a little bit of canned/jarred (tomatoes, green chilis, pepperocini, artichokes, jalapeños). I see people saying canned beans and I do use those but don’t really consider them to be a vegetable.

Our habits changed when we became salt-conscious. Today, we buy mostly fresh (apples, onions, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuces, spinach, peppers, carrots, cucumbers, etc.). I do buy frozen stir fry vegetables and french fries/tater tots. For canned, I only buy "no salt added" diced tomatoes, tomato puree and paste. I garden every year, so I can/freeze vegetables for future use too. My pantry is full of canned broths, apples, peaches, cherries, tomatoes, salsa, jalapenos, etc. My freezer has lots of green beans, okra, broccoli, etc that I've frozen myself. I also buy dry beans and cook up a couple of bags at a time. I cook them until they're almost done, then pack in 2-3 cup amounts and freeze. It makes it real convenient for soups and other recipes. Also, if I can get a great sale on fresh produce, I'll can or freeze extra for later. During the St. Patrick's Day sale at Aldi, carrots were 2lbs for $1. I bought four packs (8lbs) and canned 15 pints of carrots for $4. :woohoo:

I buy some of each, but mostly fresh. Canned are mainly tomato products and beans, and occasionally something a recipe calls for. Frozen is also usually for a recipe, and right now I probably only have frozen peas and green beans, each an ingredient in different soups I make. I can’t always find them each week at the grocery store, or at least not in the condition I want!

I buy all three. Fresh is mostly potatoes, onions, broccoli and yellow squash. Canned veg are always part of my hurricane supplies, and are things like tomatoes, carrots, green beans, or corn. I keep some frozen stir fry veg mix around for when I am in the mood, as well as various forms of frozen potatoes (fries, hash browns, etc.). I can’t say I prefer one type of processing over another, but I do prefer certain methods for specific vegetables.

Grew up in a canned vegetable household and so that's what I did for most of my marriage. Until meal kit deliveries. Been doing those since like 2014 or 2015. And they come with fresh veges. I do buy some frozen and some canned to use when I make non-kit meals. But that's minimal. Mostly do the kits.

Tends to vary based on vegetable. Fresh onions, potatoes, brussels sprouts. Frozen green beans, peas, mixed veggies.

For holiday meals, it's only fresh.

Mostly fresh, but a lot of frozen too, for convenience. Frozen veggies have come a long way over the years and I like how you don't have to worry about them going bad in a few days like fresh.

Canned are pretty much only used in recipes (corn, tomatoes, beans) not just eating on their own, except maybe pickled beets if that counts. I agree with your DH, a lot of canned veggies tend to taste 'tinny' to me, especially canned green beans, blech.

Mostly frozen as every time I buy fresh, I never end up cooking the veggies in time and they usually spoil. (Raw salad fixings are different.) The canned stuff I get are mostly beans and chick peas. I can't plan ahead to be soaking beans the night before cooking them.

I buy canned and frozen mostly when I cook because my family doesn't like the taste of fresh veggies when I cook them. I guess they prefer the taste of tin can. When I cook for myself, I buy fresh. I love fresh Brussels sprouts roasted.

Fresh carrots, asparagus, broccoli, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, artichokes, peppers if many kinds.
Frozen okra, Brussels sprouts, mixed, green beans,.
Frozen and fresh corn

Fresh. Used to be a mix with frozen. Since I retired & grocery shopping is no longer something to squeeze in, fresh all the way. Exceptions for frozen & canned if the recipe calls for it. Only other canned are tomatoes and baked beans.

Frozen is my "go to", but fresh is always best. We have some stuff in cans of course, but most canned stuff just isn't as good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter