• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

slo’s TUESDAY 10/3 poll - Dental Crowns

Dental Crowns - Do you have any and if yes, how many? (m.c.)

• Yes - I have a crown(s)

Votes: 59 56.7%
  • No - I don’t have any crowns

Votes: 27 26.0%

Votes: 21 20.2%

Votes: 22 21.2%

Votes: 10 9.6%

Votes: 5 4.8%

Votes: 2 1.9%

• 7 or more

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • Other - please post your answer

• Total voters
This is such perfect timing for me - I'm scheduled for a root canal next week and the crown the week after. I am so nervous. I've had sensitivity in this tooth for years (literally) but now it's very painful to eat or drink anything. So, they found I have a "micro crack" and also a deep filling in that tooth.

I'm only 41, and I feel this is crazy because I've always taken good care of my teeth. However, I wear a night guard because I apparently grind the heck out of my teeth at night. I almost cracked part of one tooth before the night guard. I wear the guard every night! I'm worried that I'll mess up all of my teeth.

My dentist said I can do the root canal/crown OR get an implant. I've opted for theroot canal. I do not want an empty space in my mouth for more than 6 months.

Anyone have words of wisdom about the process and the crack issue?
Go to a periodontist for a second opinion on the tooth if it has a crack, it may not be worth spending the money for a root canal and crown and have it break and need an implant instead having to shell out even more money.

I've got two crowns. Root canal each time. :( This second crown wasn't made right?

I'm wondering if anyone know if a crown can be drilled to add a filling on the side? The crown tapers inward near the root and I get a CHUNK of food stuck in there every time I eat and it has to be pushed out with the toothbrush. I'm wondering if a filling can be added to the side to fill in the space. I've had other side fillings in my real molars. (I'm pretty sure my insurance will NOT pay to have a new crown made. :( )
Yes. I had this done. My previous dentist did a poor job fitting the crown. My current dentist put a filling in the exposed tooth to make it even with the crown.

Ok @slo and others: I had my root canal yesterday. Can't get the crown until next Thursday. The process was fine although I was super nervous. I had a LOT of pain about 2 hours after the process. Maybe a bit before 2 hours. I ended up taking Advil throughout the day. The serious pain is gone, but I cannot use that side of my mouth at all. As soon as something touches the surface of that tooth I get shooting pains.

Is this typical? I tried getting the crown done earlier, but there is no availability.

• Sad
Reactions: slo
I have 9. The worst thing is they don’t last for life. A cavity can form under the crown and the crown has to be replaced.

i don’t get novicane for the the original crown or the replacement. Is there anyone else who does this? I’ve had multiple dentists and they are amazed. Mostly it doesn’t hurt but they may hit a sensitive spot for a few seconds. I’d rather have it hurt for a few seconds than have novicane, which lasts for hours and tastes terrible.

i am 80 and have had 6 replaced. Some last for 20 or more years. The first one I had broke within 5 years, the new one has lasted for 52 years. The first one cost $70 without insurance.

H
I've got two crowns. Root canal each time. :( This second crown wasn't made right?

I'm wondering if anyone know if a crown can be drilled to add a filling on the side? The crown tapers inward near the root and I get a CHUNK of food stuck in there every time I eat and it has to be pushed out with the toothbrush. I'm wondering if a filling can be added to the side to fill in the space. I've had other side fillings in my real molars. (I'm pretty sure my insurance will NOT pay to have a new crown made. :( )
It depends on how old the first crown is. Read your insurance policy. My insurance has paid for all my replacements , except the first when I had no insurance.

I don't have any crowns. I *do* have an implant. Bad teeth run in my family, so I have to keep on top of my dental care.

H

It depends on how old the first crown is. Read your insurance policy. My insurance has paid for all my replacements , except the first when I had no insurance.

Thank you. It's barely 6 weeks old. It was made too narrow at the bottom. I just know it's going to bother me always. :headache: I may pay out of pocket for a replacement if my insurance won't pay. :crazy2:

Have you talked to your dentist? Some times the lab guarantees their work and will replace it

Thank you! I have a dentist appointment for a different tooth. A vicious peanut M&M which had disguised itself as an innocuous piece of candy :rolleyes1 took out a tooth the other side of my mouth. :crazy2: I'll speak to my dentist then.

Ok @slo and others: I had my root canal yesterday. Can't get the crown until next Thursday. The process was fine although I was super nervous. I had a LOT of pain about 2 hours after the process. Maybe a bit before 2 hours. I ended up taking Advil throughout the day. The serious pain is gone, but I cannot use that side of my mouth at all. As soon as something touches the surface of that tooth I get shooting pains.

Is this typical? I tried getting the crown done earlier, but there is no availability.
I’m sorry to hear about this - not fun!
Sending lots of PD your way for that tooth to feel better soon :wizard:

To answer your question…,I’ve (knock on wood) never had a root canal, so I’m no help with this. Hopefully someone else can help.

H

I just texted my dentist. She thinks a replacement may be covered as as it's only been a few weeks! She's checking on it before my appointment.

Thank you @barb969 ! :flower3:

I just texted my dentist. She thinks a replacement may be covered as as it's only been a few weeks! She's checking on it before my appointment.

Thank you @barb969 ! :flower3:
That’s great!😁

something’s wrong. The root canal removes the nerve so the tooth should not hurt. My husband had trouble because there was an infection which built up pressure and hurt like the devil. His pain started a few hours after the r.c. Call your dentist.

The worst thing is they don’t last for life.
Well, it's hard to define "life", but I have some crowns that were placed over 50 years ago. And a few others that I got 30+ years ago.

As long as you take care of your crowns the way you should, they can last a long time.

Three days ago I had molar #18 pulled because the crown came off as the root canal tooth broke completely in half. The crown was only 3.5 years old. What a waste.

Since it was the last molar on the bottom left, my dentist and 2 different oral surgeons said I don’t need to replace it with an implant unless I really want to. With the cost and failure rate of implants, I think I’m just going to leave it as is unless any if you can share any compelling reasons why I should get it replaced.

• Sad
Reactions: slo
Three days ago I had molar #18 pulled because the crown came off as the root canal tooth broke completely in half. The crown was only 3.5 years old. What a waste.

Since it was the last molar on the bottom left, my dentist and 2 different oral surgeons said I don’t need to replace it with an implant unless I really want to. With the cost and failure rate of implants, I think I’m just going to leave it as is unless any if you can share any compelling reasons why I should get it replaced.
I’m missing my last molar on both sides on the top. You’ll be fine.

I'm missing several teeth, but what's left have all had root canals and crowns. Not fun for me or my wallet, but largely it was out of my control.

My parents couldn't afford to bring us to the dentist as kids and while we took care of our teeth at home, I inherited my mother's brittle teeth.

I didn't replace a pulled tooth (lower right middle). In the mean time I've had 1 implant on the same side, the last molar. I had the implant done because that only left one tooth on that side if I didn't.

Also had an implant done on the lower left (second from back). And Earlier this year I lost the tooth in front of it. I'm in the middle on the implant process for that one. Leaving one vacant spot may or may not be an issue, but more than that can cause a lot of teeth to move out of position and that's not fun to correct.

I can't address the failure rate, both implants I have (one 7 years ago, and one 3 years ago) are doing fine, according to the oral surgeon.

Implants are crazy expensive but when you consider the cost of root canal and crown that fails after 5 years anyway, why not just do the implant and be done with it. I'm 58 and every crown I've had has failed so I now have a few implants and one bridge implant. I wish I had started with the implants and skipped the expense and pain of root canals and crowns.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter