• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

slo’s TUESDAY 10/3 poll - Dental Crowns

Dental Crowns - Do you have any and if yes, how many? (m.c.)

• Yes - I have a crown(s)

Votes: 59 56.7%
  • No - I don’t have any crowns

Votes: 27 26.0%

Votes: 21 20.2%

Votes: 22 21.2%

Votes: 10 9.6%

Votes: 5 4.8%

Votes: 2 1.9%

• 7 or more

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • Other - please post your answer

• Total voters
Voted for 1, but I've got a temporary one now (waiting for the real one), and another one will be worked on after that. So by the end of the year, I'll have two.

None as of today. My dental plan is suggesting 2 so they're in the future. We thought the dentist was crown happy as my mom was given the same plan. After one of hers broke this summer I'm on board. One will get scheduled soon. I'm scared that one will need a root canal as well since the original filling placed was deep.

I have one and was astounded at the cost. If I'd realized how expensive it was going to be, I'd have had the tooth extracted. Two weeks ago I broke off part of a premolar. The dentist put a temporary structure on it (the filling is still solid/intact and there is no sensitivity or pain at all) and says he can fill it but it'd be better to have it crowned. Better for his wallet, I'm thinking! I have time to decide as they can't do anything for at least 3 months as I had my knee replaced in June and they have to wait 6 months post-surgery to do any below-the-gum-line dentistry.

I currently have one crown and am need of a second. Kind dentist is trying to figure out how to make this appointment work for me due to my TMJ!

2 crowns

one bridge ( because I was afraid of a root canal had a big tooth pulled when 20 now the tooth beside going side ways so bridge it is)

I have two crowns. I got them in my mid-20s after getting out of the military. They were due to a couple of filled cavities that leaked. :( I learned a lesson from the experience. After the work was completed and the dentist office filed all of their paperwork, my insurance company denied my claim with the excuse the work didn't need to be done. At the time, it was about $500 a crown and we were a young family and broke. I fired back a strongly worded letter, contesting their decision. About two weeks later, I received another letter stating an independent review had been completed on my case and it was decided the work did need to be done. The insurance company reversed their decision and covered the work. Huge lesson learned.

I have six. Some are close to 50 years old. No big deal as my Dentist still sends his work out to a lab to make the crowns, so the prep and mold making take less than an hour, and installation a couple of weeks later takes like 10 minutes. I've had two root canals as well related to crowns. But both teeth were "dead" so they didn't even have to numb me. The Endodontist operates differently than the Dentist, the root canals were easier than a regular filling.
Only thing that concerns me is that my current Dentist says a crown should last about 10 years. I expect them to last a lifetime. He only uses the latest ceramic crowns and he claims they are supposed to be as durable as the gold ones. I did have one of the older crowns replaced 2 years ago. It had issues because it was the only partial crown I had, so there was a problem with the exposed tooth.

I’ve got more crowns than the British Royal Family…1 implant and probably need 2-3 more…😩

I've got two crowns. Root canal each time. :( This second crown wasn't made right?

I'm wondering if anyone know if a crown can be drilled to add a filling on the side? The crown tapers inward near the root and I get a CHUNK of food stuck in there every time I eat and it has to be pushed out with the toothbrush. I'm wondering if a filling can be added to the side to fill in the space. I've had other side fillings in my real molars. (I'm pretty sure my insurance will NOT pay to have a new crown made. :( )

Do you have any crowns?
If yes….how many?
I have 21 crowns. Also 2 implants, and in the process of getting a third one. I don't remember how many root canals - at least 10. Some root canals were done before getting the crown, others were done afterward.

I have absolutely awful teeth. And I had a horrible pediatric dentist as a kid. His philosophy was "if it doesn't hurt, you won't learn your lesson".

Getting the implants was way easier than getting a crown.

I have one. Rest of my teeth, including wisdom teeth, are good, I don't expect to need any more. No root canal associated with it, just a molar that had been filled a couple of times and eventually cracked.

I “had” one crown, but it came off in a catastrophic crack while I was eating a French fry back in late July. The tooth stub underneath broke cleanly in two while I spit the crown out perfectly intact. It took forever to get an appointment at the oral surgeon. I’m finally having the broken tooth removed on Monday. The surgeon said they never see this. The crown was supposed to keep the underlying tooth from breaking. All that money for the root canal and crown went down the drain in just 3 years. Ugh.

I got this crown in early 2020 because back in 2012 an oral surgeon broke off a chunk of my molar when he was extracting my wisdom teeth. My dentist filled the missing chunk in with a filling. The filling lasted about 7 years, and then it failed. So I had to get a root canal and crown. The crown started hurting with pressure this spring. My dentist checked it and said it was fine. But it was not. The whole thing has been kind of a disaster.

Last edited:
At the start of this year, a back tooth crumbled as I ate a French fry, earning me my 1st crown.

The dentist told me old amalgam expanded, caused my tooth to crack and crumble.

Mine was a 2 appointment process. Day 1 clean up the site, measure for a permanent crown, place the temporary. Go back for a 30 minute appointment to fit and seat the new crown.

For a few months, it was uncomfortable when I bit back there, but I don't even notice it now.
What is it with French fries!!!! That’s what did my molar in too!

I think I have 4. I have had three root canals. 2 before crowns and 1 after. I also have an implant.

What is it with French fries!!!! That’s what did my molar in too!
I've had a couple of teeth break apart while eating something relatively benign. My dentist said when the teeth start to break, it doesn't take much to get them to self destruct. Although I'm certainly recalling that one tooth broke while eating a cheeseburger and...FRIES!!!:eek:

Glad to hear you survived Sandy! Having a dentist you like makes a big difference!

Thanks for asking Dan - it was a successful visit.
As much as I don't like the process, I do love the dentist and his staff.
That's great!! :cheer2:

And that is more than half the battle, liking (loving) the people you have to work with. Go enjoy an apple or an ear of corn. Bite gently. :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter