• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

slo’s THURSDAY poll - Christmas Tree Garland

Christmas Tree Garland - Does it go on before or after ornaments?

• Before the ornaments - always

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • After the ornaments - always

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • I’ve done both - Depends on the year

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I’ve done both - Depends on my mood

• I’ve done both - Depends on who’s decorating with me

• I don’t know - I’m not the one who decorates the tree

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither - I don’t use garland

Votes: 49 53.8%
  • Neither - I still use tinsel and that goes on after the ornaments

• I don’t put up a Christmas tree

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters
I don't use garland. Too much stuff on my tree as it is. When I was a kid we had gold garland which went on first. I still remember my parents telling us not to hang ornaments on the garland.

I don't use any garland. My mom has these wooden bead garlands that have always gone on her tree since I was a kid. She puts them on last, but I thought that was strange and always thought they should go on before the ornaments.

Garland is always on our tree and always goes on first. We alternate rows between red and white/luminescent garland currently.

I'm one of the few who puts it on last. We use bead garland, and where we droop it is partly determined by where there are spots that can't be filled with ornaments.

My Mom used to use tinsel garland & put it on last. I use bead garland & decorate my tree in order of lights, bead garland, ribbon, then ornaments.

All of the background, goes on first. Garland, picks, ribbon…then bulbs by size, top to bottom then ornaments, topper last.

Never used garland. Years ago, we used icicle-style tinsel, always put on last (only with real trees).

No tinsel either...because cats, but I remember having that as a kid (we called it icicles) and my mom was very into the one strand at a time thing. That did go on last.
Same here. Once the cat started eating it, we were done with tinsel. My grandfather was the one who used to very patiently apply the tinsel strand by strand. As little kids, we’d throw it in the air and let it land on the tree wherever it fell. Then later on, Grandpa would take it all off and redo it. LOL, it was like an annual tradition. :bitelip:

Our tree is prelit so it’s garland and then ornaments. If you put it on last, it would cover up all the ornaments, so there’d be no point.

It’s been so long I am trying to remember. My brain today says to put the garland first, but I am not sure we actually did. It might have varied by year too.

I remember liking the look of the metal tinsel common when I was a child. I believe we applied that after the ornaments. But maybe it was more of a simultaneous process, with some additional strands in spots at the end.

Very interesting replies - I’m glad I did this poll today 🙂

I chose "other" so I'm obediently posting my explanation:

We don't use garland or tinsel, we use the wonderful, old fashioned beads!

I have a collection of colors: gold, silver, green, red, blue - gold is most often used
but I decide each year what the colors will be (I'm the official decorator).
I have fond memories of wearing long strands of them when I was very young,
parading around the living room while my mom strung strands on the tree.
LOL, I think that would be against the law now - major strangulation hazard 🎄

ETA: The lights go on first, then the beads, then the ornaments.

Garland goes on before ornaments. It never occurred to me that anyone would do it differently. But, it also never occurred to me that anyone would put mulch down before planting the flowers until the day my husband did exactly that and then tried to tell me it was the “right” way. Ultimately, I didn’t divorce him but it was a close call.

Garland because we have a fake tree due to the pets and it sorely needs some filling in. But I can't imagine putting the garland on after the ornaments. Learn something new every day!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter