slo’s THURSDAY poll - Booster Shot

Booster Shot - Have you received one yet?

• Yes

Votes: 130 66.0%
  • No - I’ll wait until 2022

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • No - I’m going sometime this month

Votes: 31 15.7%
  • No - I’m going today too

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • No - I just got shot #2

• No - I just got shot #1

• No - I have not received any vaccine

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I’m supposed to get a booster shot?

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 12 6.1%

• Total voters
Yes, DH, DD & I all got ours in October. I just saw the other day that Pfizer is asking for 16-17 to be eligible, so if that’s the case, DD16 will get it. My youngest just got her 2nd dose Wed! Fully vaccinated by Christmas!

Just some thoughts and then I’m going to leave it alone because I don’t want to debate & get a thread shut down.

1. All vaccines have boosters, many months apart. This isn’t new.

2. there was always an assumption it would end up annual like the flu shot. I’m not sure why people are surprised

3. There has never been a long term side effect from a vaccine. It works differently than medicine does We know the side effects already. We also know there of greater risk from natural Covid infection.

4. mRNA isn’t new or rushed. It’s been around for 2 decades

5. Don’t be surprised if the fully vaccinated definition changes to be 3 doses.

Anyone get the booster at the same time as the flu shot? Did you have a different reaction than if you got the flu shot alone or after your second dose? I’m kind of nervous. I’ve never gotten the flu vaccine so don’t have any experience with what if any reactions I may have to it. I’m preparing to be “sick” the weekend after but hoping for no reaction like after my second COVID dose.

Who is the "they" you are referring to? I was under the impression from the beginning that the vaccine was something that would need boosters.
I'm just going off memory, but I don't ever remember anyone saying a year ago boosters would be NEEDED.
1. All vaccines have boosters, many months apart. This isn’t new.
Huh, from what I remember from my kids, they had boosters of SOME vaccines, not all, and the boosters weren't necessarily repeated. When's the last time you got a measles booster? Diphtheria?

2. there was always an assumption it would end up annual like the flu shot. I’m not sure why people are surprised
While I agree there was some thought it MIGHT end up annual, we're not even at annual. I don't remember anyone saying an annual booster would be required. And I'm not surprised.

3. There has never been a long term side effect from a vaccine. It works differently than medicine does We know the side effects already. We also know there of greater risk from natural Covid infection.
Since there's never been a long term side effect it means there will never be one? Isn't that a logical fallacy?

If you want to get a booster, go right ahead. You want your family to get them, not a problem. If my family wants to get them, I'm not going to stop them. I'm not convinced yet.

Anyone get the booster at the same time as the flu shot? Did you have a different reaction than if you got the flu shot alone or after your second dose? I’m kind of nervous. I’ve never gotten the flu vaccine so don’t have any experience with what if any reactions I may have to it. I’m preparing to be “sick” the weekend after but hoping for no reaction like after my second COVID dose.

I got the flu shot and Moderna booster at the same time in the same arm. I had a sore arm for a couple days, but that was it. I didn't have many side effects from the first two Pfizer shots I had, though, either (very sore lymph nodes in my shot arm after the second Pfizer).

There was some posters who mentioned getting both on the Flu shot thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/flu-shot.3854493/

I'm just going off memory, but I don't ever remember anyone saying a year ago boosters would be NEEDED.

Huh, from what I remember from my kids, they had boosters of SOME vaccines, not all, and the boosters weren't necessarily repeated. When's the last time you got a measles booster? Diphtheria?

At the time most were getting their first jabs, it was on,y known that protection lasted “at least” 6 months. No one had had it long enough to really know.

As for Diphtheria don’t most get that along with Tetanus every 10 years?

But I do think it was assumed that it would be an annual shot for the foreseeable future.

I like you have/had some reservations about the vaccine and the boosters. But also feel the risk of bad side effects is lower than long term side effects of COVID.

That might be a conversation about semantics. I believe when the vaccines rolled out they didn't know quite how long immunity from it lasted (remember the talks about how many months? and it was like a rolling count of that) same as they didn't know quite how long immunity lasted from a covid infection.

So the conversation around boosters was more or less that it's was always a possibility that such might be needed but no it wasn't known with 100% certainty a booster would be needed when vaccines first rolled out, it became clearer though soon-ish after that the likelihood was higher that we would need one but the timing of just when and who would need one wasn't known.

But also feel the risk of bad side effects is lower than long term side effects of COVID.
And we know what the long term side effects of COVID are for those who have been vaccinated? Yes, SOME unvaxed folks who caught Covid are having long term complications. Are the "breakthrough" cases showing the same?

Sorry, I'm just not in a rush to get the booster yet. Nothing anyone says on an anonymous message board (much less a Disney centric one) is going to change that.

I'm not trying to change your (general you) mind on what you think is the best for you. I respectfully request you (again general) do the same for me.

Most people get Tdap and the recommended time frame is every 10 years for a booster. The MMR vaccine varies but Measles is considered life long immunity depending on when you received it and for most individuals (for college you usually just have to prove you had an MMR vaccine so if you hadn't by then you'd need to get one), Mumps generally booster recommended for certain individuals during an outbreak, Rubella is a 1 dose then considered immune (special conditions apply)---source https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/mmr/hcp/recommendations.html#immunity

I do agree though not all vaccines required boosters but would also say not all vaccines are a 1 dose and done either. Gardasil so far does not have any sort of recommendation for boosters. On the other hand the majority of individuals who get Gardasil do it in a 3 dose series spaced apart (though relatively close in time frame).

Most people get Tdap and the recommended time frame is every 10 years for a booster. The MMR vaccine varies but Measles is considered life long immunity depending on when you received it and for most individuals (for college you usually just have to prove you had an MMR vaccine so if you hadn't by then you'd need to get one), Mumps generally booster recommended for certain individuals during an outbreak, Rubella is a 1 dose then considered immune (special conditions apply)---source https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/mmr/hcp/recommendations.html#immunity

I do agree though not all vaccines required boosters but would also say not all vaccines are a 1 dose and done either. Gardasil so far does not have any sort of recommendation for boosters. On the other hand the majority of individuals who get Gardasil do it in a 3 dose series spaced apart (though relatively close in time frame).
Anything that is done in a series is by default considered a booster after the first dose. It means the initial dose wasn’t enough for the correct immune response.

Anything that is done in a series is by default considered a booster after the first dose. It means the initial dose wasn’t enough for the correct immune response.
Medically boosters are something done periodically. When it's part of a set plan no it's not normally considered a booster (at least not that I could find). A dose after the first one does not normally mean it wasn't enough for the correct immune response (or at least we think about that differently). The CDC certainly doesn't consider anything after 1 dose a booster. I've not seen medically speaking something that defines anything other than 1 dose officially called a booster. Regardless I'm not sure this was the point of the discussion respectfully speaking..and don't wish this thread to become that :flower3:

Going Sunday for my booster. Had a heck of a time finding a booster appointment around here, which I suppose is a good news type situation (means lots of people are getting them?). I decided to get a Moderna one, partially for the slightly better immunity it provides, and mostly because that was the one I could actually get a somewhat soon appointment for. There was exactly one appointment slot in a 14 day period at a CVS, so I took it.

I am a bit nervous since I had ZERO reaction to both Pfizer shots and this one might make me feel crappy, but it's all worth it in the end.

I spoke to my doctor at my annual physical last week and she said Covid boosters would likely become annual things, like the flu shot. She advised against doing the flu and Covid boosters together, mostly because each has the potential to make you feel crummy and there's no reason to magnify that by getting both at once.

Going Sunday for my booster. Had a heck of a time finding a booster appointment around here, which I suppose is a good news type situation (means lots of people are getting them?). I decided to get a Moderna one, partially for the slightly better immunity it provides, and mostly because that was the one I could actually get a somewhat soon appointment for. There was exactly one appointment slot in a 14 day period at a CVS, so I took it.

I am a bit nervous since I had ZERO reaction to both Pfizer shots and this one might make me feel crappy, but it's all worth it in the end.

I spoke to my doctor at my annual physical last week and she said Covid boosters would likely become annual things, like the flu shot. She advised against doing the flu and Covid boosters together, mostly because each has the potential to make you feel crummy and there's no reason to magnify that by getting both at once.

Keep us updated. I’m considering doing Moderna booster but am afraid because like you had no reaction to the Pfizer and my daughter got a mild reaction with the Moderna. I feel, on getting flu & COVID together, if I am going to feel crummy I’d rather just get it over with, than feel crummy twice. Plus I know if I don’t do the flu when I get the booster I am unlikely to get the flu at all.

Keep us updated. I’m considering doing Moderna booster but am afraid because like you had no reaction to the Pfizer and my daughter got a mild reaction with the Moderna. I feel, on getting flu & COVID together, if I am going to feel crummy I’d rather just get it over with, than feel crummy twice. Plus I know if I don’t do the flu when I get the booster I am unlikely to get the flu at all.

I have never had any sort of reaction to the flu shot, but got it done during my physical appointment since they could do it then. They did not do boosters at my doctors office. I also had to have a mammogram this past week so had to hold off on the booster until after that anyway.

Was tested recently and I have COVID-19 antibodies. Holding off on a booster.

DH, DS & I were supposed to get our booster & flu shots today. They were able to get theirs with no problem. When the pharmacist tried to check me in, she said she was receiving a "too soon" warning. There was no way it could be too soon. All three of us had our first shot in March & the second one in April. I showed her my vaccination card for proof, so she looked into it further. The CVS system had my first shot in August & second in October. Their system shows that I'm not allowed to get a booster until April 2022. :( She said to make another appointment for later this week, then call in that day to see if it had been corrected. If not, I should call CVS to attempt to straighten it out.

I had the first two shots at a drive-by site run by my county DOH, so I'm going to call them first. It seems more likely that they would be the ones that could fix it. If anyone has any idea how this may have happened or a suggestion for anyone else I should call or email, please let me know. I want to get it straightened out ASAP not only because I want the booster, but I also want my vaccine info to be registered correctly.

DH, DS & I were supposed to get our booster & flu shots today. They were able to get theirs with no problem. When the pharmacist tried to check me in, she said she was receiving a "too soon" warning. There was no way it could be too soon. All three of us had our first shot in March & the second one in April. I showed her my vaccination card for proof, so she looked into it further. The CVS system had my first shot in August & second in October. Their system shows that I'm not allowed to get a booster until April 2022. :( She said to make another appointment for later this week, then call in that day to see if it had been corrected. If not, I should call CVS to attempt to straighten it out.

I had the first two shots at a drive-by site run by my county DOH, so I'm going to call them first. It seems more likely that they would be the ones that could fix it. If anyone has any idea how this may have happened or a suggestion for anyone else I should call or email, please let me know. I want to get it straightened out ASAP not only because I want the booster, but I also want my vaccine info to be registered correctly.
When we did our appointments through CVS online it had you input your second dose date to "check" that you had at least 6 months from that date. Did you set up your appointment online? Did it ask that question?

If there's an error with your immunization record I would agree the drive by site in your county would probably be the first step at least to see what their records show, then if theirs is correct maybe there was an issue with when it was transmitted to the state's record or I suppose a weird glitch in CVS's website.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter