slo’s THURSDAY 3/21 poll - Saving Coins 💰

Saving Coins. Do you do it, how often do you trade them in and who counts the coins? (m.c.)

• Yes - I save coins

Votes: 43 53.1%
  • No - I don’t save coins

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I used to save coins

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I trade them for cash once a year or more

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I trade them for cash once every 2-5 years

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • Other for trading them for cash (please post how often)

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I count the coins and roll them

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • I use a coin counter

Votes: 12 14.8%
  • I don’t pay anything with cash so I have no coins

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 14 17.3%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
Saving coins is something many of us do, because those small coins add up to a decent amount of money.
Today’s questions……

Do you save coins?
How often do you trade them for cash?
Do you count them yourself or take them to a coin counter machine?
(multiple choice)

For Me…..We save coins and we have never taken them to be traded for cash. I think we’ve been saving them for about 18 years and I can’t pick up the countainer they are in. I’m so curious to know how much money is in there, but not curious enough to actually find out. The countainer is 3/4 full and when it’s 100% full is when we’ll take it in (unless we decide to move first). When we do trade them for cash, we’ll use a coin counter.

IMG_1608.jpeg

I do but hardly use cash anymore but back in old time I cashed them in before I went on vacation- rolled them myself - last time I did this was little over a year ago ( no vacation) I had two years worth and I believe it was around $35 maybe little more in coins . Doubt I’ll see that again because I hardly use cash anymore about the only place I do is at Disney

When we first got married (25 years ago), my husband saved coins, but I did not. I spent mine as I received them. At some point, he ended up counting/rolling the coins and taking them to the bank. He considered them his "fun money" (which, I didn't think was quite fair in the first place. How did it go from "our money" to "your money" just because you put it into a jar?), but he decided that counting/rolling was not worth the work for the amount of money it was... so he no longer saves coins. We don't get too many coins these days since we pay by card for most things.

I used to save coins and then cash them in when the container got full... nowadays I use cash so seldom, I would have trouble finding any coins in the house.

We save all our coins. My husband puts all of his in a cup. I put my “silver” coins in a Disney refillable mug, and pennies in a grower. My cup is full and I plan on taking them to the bank soon the growler I am going to keep filling for awhile. I have been putting off the silver coins because the free counter at the bank is only open during business hours.

I don’t save coins, but DH does, and sometimes I may put a few coins in his jar. He exchanges them once a year or thereabouts, and it’s usually about $50.

We have an old metal pail full. I keep meaning to take them in. I’m pretty sure we are part of the reason there is a penny shortage.

We do sort of. We have a big ole vase holding our bedroom door open that hubby will throw them in if he has any in his pocket. He rarely uses cash any more so it doesn't get fed very often. We both have little bags in our vehicles that we keep coins in. For him, it's for the car wash for his truck. It's a big ole dually and he can't take it through the washes where you send it through so has to go to the self wash ones. I used to keep mine for the toll roads on the way to WDW and for vending machines, but now I have the Sunpass and can't remember the last time I got anything out of a vending machine. I do use cash if something is under $10, I don't like small charges on my cc. If at all possible, I always give the correct change so rarely have left over change (I think that might be a woman thing). We take the coins to the coin machine at the grocery store when it gets full and let it count it and give us cash. That used to be something we did before every WDW trip for me to have cash but, again, it's not full enough.

We have a small cup of coins. I guess we are not using as much cash anymore. In the past we’ve used the coin star in the grocery store but last time we went to my sons bank as they don’t take out any fee.

Every summer I take all the quarters out of the jar as we play left center right on our vacation. My jar is pretty empty right now.

We used to save them. I remember rolling coins as a kid. I don't use cash enough now, I have some coins in my wallet but that's it.

I don’t but my one ds does. He has a giant plastic coke bottle he puts change in.
Does anyone remember if they sold this at Disney in the Coca Cola store/ Club Cool years ago? thought I vaguely remember that is where he got it.

I don't use cash. DH does sometimes. He gives some of the coins to the grand kids. The rest goes into a container for DD. She is trying to fill one of those large coke bottle banks she got at Disney World years ago. It is no where near full and can't lift it.

We also have old coins from long, long ago. We're purging here, and we're going to let our adult kids go through and take what they want and then take the rest to a coin shop.
We have silver dollars, leaf pennies, etc.

Dad and I have a small plastic jar that we save coins in. When the jar is full, we take it to a Coinstar machine for an Amazon e gift card. A small amount of saved change truly makes a difference. It's a blessing also to in some way be able to share the money such as a food item to my church's food pantry or extra stickers for kids. Years ago, my beloved late grandma and I saved coins too. Back then, we would take the rolled coins as did dad and I pre Covid to the bank for bills. Coinstar is much easier an option today. Blessing to have that choice.

Just emptied a jar of them into ziplocks and think we'll start a new jar in our next place. Someday we will take a vacation with the full jar contents but the way prices are going the jar might just buy a ferry into the city for some Food Truck Falafel on a bench somewhere with seagulls, goals.

Yes, we save coins. We save quarters for doing laundry while we're RVing. A lot of RV parks still have coin-op machines. All the other coins are used to pay the kids for chores or they go in the old coffee can and eventually get deposited in the bank.

I do save coins, but I rarely use cash. I've had the same $20 bill in my pocket for 2-weeks, everything I pay for comes off my Apple Watch. I rarely even pull a credit card out of my pocket. That being said, the few times I do use cash, I let the change build up until it becomes a nuisance and then trade it in

I guess technically we still toss any coins in our pocket into a giant plastic coke bottle bank, except we very, very, very rarely have any coins in our pocket at the end of the day.

I might spend cash once or twice a year and then it is usually in whole dollar amounts so very rarely add to the bank.

It has probably been 10+ years since we rolled the coins and cashed them in. In that 10+ years not much has been put back into the bank.

IMG_4913.jpg

Most of what is in there are golf driving range tokens, smashed pennies, and foreign currency left over from trips overseas. Things that could not be rolled up a decade ago the last time we cashed in.

Reactions: GAN

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter